Hi! Looking for some information

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHarris

Reaction score
Hello! A Facebook page has inspired me to write my college thesis on the importance of teaching homesteading and survivalism to young high school aged students or even yearly college level students. The focus of my thesis paper is to argue that people are too dependant on techology and that someday when the lights go out no one will know what to do in order to provide for them selves. I know when I was in high school we had a class in PE that was called project adventure. In this course we learned to fly fish, hunt, and proper out door survival skills. There were several elements in this course that taught us how to survive in an Alaskan atmosphere, these class stopped shortly after I graduated and are no longer existent. I still remember the vital information I was taught and pass that to my own children. The problem that I am finding is any reliable sources that discuss the importance of homesteading and survivalism. I cant necessarily call Bear Grils show and qoute him?! I need books or some websites that help support my thesis. Common Sence says that we should know how to hunt fish feed and garden but finding anything that says that or supports it is challenging. Any suggestions you may have will help me !!!! I also have to interview a persons who specialize in my topic next week..... I dont even know where to begin. Thank you for reading this and I looked forward to hearing from you. Kendra

Look at the Fox Fire books . They were written right here in TN . UT students working with some of the Moutain Folks in East Tennessee .

As for the interview, check out local outdoor sports stores. I'll wager someone there is a good candidate.
To emphasize the need...I'm assuming your paper should be a call to action, so you need to motivate....check into how vulnerable the grid is. You'll be scared out of your socks at just how close we are to being back in the pioneer days. Wouldn't take much. Frankly, it's a miracle it hasn't happened yet.

howdy from a Texan .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quiet a few knowledgeable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replies you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed.

Hello! A Facebook page has inspired me to write my college thesis on the importance of teaching homesteading and survivalism to young high school aged students or even yearly college level students. The focus of my thesis paper is to argue that people are too dependant on techology and that someday when the lights go out no one will know what to do in order to provide for them selves. I know when I was in high school we had a class in PE that was called project adventure. In this course we learned to fly fish, hunt, and proper out door survival skills. There were several elements in this course that taught us how to survive in an Alaskan atmosphere, these class stopped shortly after I graduated and are no longer existent. I still remember the vital information I was taught and pass that to my own children. The problem that I am finding is any reliable sources that discuss the importance of homesteading and survivalism. I cant necessarily call Bear Grils show and qoute him?! I need books or some websites that help support my thesis. Common Sence says that we should know how to hunt fish feed and garden but finding anything that says that or supports it is challenging. Any suggestions you may have will help me !!!! I also have to interview a persons who specialize in my topic next week..... I dont even know where to begin. Thank you for reading this and I looked forward to hearing from you. Kendra

Welcome to DPF

Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Hi and welcome from Finland,
hope you'll get the info you need and if you have some,feel free to pass it forward

Hello and welcome to our forum . As some of the others have said just take a look around at all the posts. You should be able to find quite a bit of great info there for your thesis. Also you can ask any of us Moderators to do an interview if you want we have many years of experience between us and there are also some very experienced individuals on the site as members as well. Good luck with the thesis and I hope you get it out there so more people realize they need to learn these basic things.

Welcome. In my experience, there are a couple types of "Preppers". There are "Supply preppers" and "Survivalist preppers". I know that many debate me on this, but look around and see what I mean. There is a squad that stockpiles as much as they can in hopes of being prepared for whatever comes, and there is a squad of folks who think that being able to live off of the land with as few supplies as possible will help them make it through most issues that people actually "Prep" for.

You mentioned "Homesteading and Survivalism", so I assume you're writing more about survivalist preppers, though most are actually a bit of both. They may lean one way pr the other, but most preppers have a little of both in them. I tend to lean towards survivalist living, but I understand the importance of
having certain tools & supplies.

If you really want to stress to them the importance of being able to not just survive, but THRIVE without electricity and modern conveniences, make a challenge for them to do exactly that for 2 days. Just 2 days... If they are out in the sticks without the access to modern cooking, food storage, and other goodies, 2 days is a LOOOOOOOOOONG time. Even starting a fire(Which is usually key to survival) without tools is a major challenge. Living in the sticks without a tent for even 2 days(Even in nice weather) is a problem if you can't make a reasonable shelter. Food is often talked about in survivalist circles as if it's "optional", with many folks quoting 3 weeks without food as a livable problem. Perhaps if you are young and in perfect health. Throw diabetes or any other illness into it and it becomes a life or death issue. Water? Forget about it. 2 days without water and... You get where I'm going with this.

You can definitely find a lot of good info here, and I'm sure you can find plenty of people who will help you out with question & answer discussions. Please keep it in PMs, though. A thread containing a Q&A about prepping would defeat the point of the forum as a whole.

Thanks again for joining, and best of luck with your project. I hope you turn out a top notch paper.

Latest posts

Back