He's finally on board! (I think lol)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hj1984

Reaction score
So, like I mentioned in my last post in the "off topic" section, my SO has def not been on board with prepping, and I've mentioned before that he has always said "If shtf I will simply go to walmart and get what we need with my gun in hand" when ever I would bring up prepping...well, I am not sure what happened while I was away at work but I came home to packed bug out bags and lots of prepping stuff sitting in my kitchen. He went to some stores while I was at work and picked up some stuff, and he is asking me questions about where to get certain medical items/supplies online.
While I am astonished and glad that he is now on board with prepping, I also feel like I've lost control of the preps lol I had a full inventory of what I had on hand, now its all packed into bug out bags and he's added god knows what to the collection. I love that he's helping now, but it was kinda "my thing" if that makes sense lol
He knows best when it comes to survival in the wild, his military background definately gives him the advantage there, but I feel like being a woman gives me a different insight on somethings and I hope he takes this into account.
I mentioned getting a better tent than the one we have and he says: "Don't need to haul around a tent. I bought tarps, poly cord and tent stakes" LoL well I suppose thats essentially a tent, but being a mother and a female, I feel that an actual tent with zipped enclosures and a sealed wall to floor environment makes me feel a little homier and safer and cleaner...but maybe thats just me. I know he is thinking about the amount of stuff we'll have to hump around on our backs, but I am thinking about comfort and the kids too. I suppose if I want the luxury of a tent, I will have to buy it in secret and be the one to pack it/hump it in a SHTF scenario huh?
I hope that we can find a happy medium with our preps lol I feel like I've gotta go thru the packs he packed up tonight so that I know what we have and where it all is. Oh ya, remember that brand new day pack I picked up at walmart, the tactical one with the MOLLE system? It's been theived from me by him and it's so heavily packed down there is no way I'm carrying that anymore...lol Damn it. I was looking forward to packing that up on my own this weekend while he worked. Guess I've gotta get another one huh? He's got freakin crossbows and stuff attached to the MOLLE stuff...I think it's officially no longer my new pack lol My son comes up to me (he's 3) and says "daddy stole your pack pack (yea he says pack pack instead of back pack) Na Na Na Boo Boo!" as he's shaking his butt in my face with his toungue sticking out. WTF ? lol Hilarious nonetheless.
So all in all, I'm glad he's on board but I'm a wee worried lol

Hahahahhaaa glad he's in board , you worry too much, pack your own bags problem solved :) having him in board is good now you can pick his brains and learn all his survival skills without embarrassment , also god forbid , only one of you may survive and that might be you so learn as much from him as you can, and the same the other way round , you need to ALL know what each other knows , there's a thread somewhere about prepping journals give it a read

So, like I mentioned in my last post in the "off topic" section, my SO has def not been on board with prepping, and I've mentioned before that he has always said "If shtf I will simply go to walmart and get what we need with my gun in hand" when ever I would bring up prepping...well, I am not sure what happened while I was away at work but I came home to packed bug out bags and lots of prepping stuff sitting in my kitchen. He went to some stores while I was at work and picked up some stuff, and he is asking me questions about where to get certain medical items/supplies online.
While I am astonished and glad that he is now on board with prepping, I also feel like I've lost control of the preps lol I had a full inventory of what I had on hand, now its all packed into bug out bags and he's added god knows what to the collection. I love that he's helping now, but it was kinda "my thing" if that makes sense lol
He knows best when it comes to survival in the wild, his military background definately gives him the advantage there, but I feel like being a woman gives me a different insight on somethings and I hope he takes this into account.
I mentioned getting a better tent than the one we have and he says: "Don't need to haul around a tent. I bought tarps, poly cord and tent stakes" LoL well I suppose thats essentially a tent, but being a mother and a female, I feel that an actual tent with zipped enclosures and a sealed wall to floor environment makes me feel a little homier and safer and cleaner...but maybe thats just me. I know he is thinking about the amount of stuff we'll have to hump around on our backs, but I am thinking about comfort and the kids too. I suppose if I want the luxury of a tent, I will have to buy it in secret and be the one to pack it/hump it in a SHTF scenario huh?
I hope that we can find a happy medium with our preps lol I feel like I've gotta go thru the packs he packed up tonight so that I know what we have and where it all is. Oh ya, remember that brand new day pack I picked up at walmart, the tactical one with the MOLLE system? It's been theived from me by him and it's so heavily packed down there is no way I'm carrying that anymore...lol Damn it. I was looking forward to packing that up on my own this weekend while he worked. Guess I've gotta get another one huh? He's got freakin crossbows and stuff attached to the MOLLE stuff...I think it's officially no longer my new pack lol My son comes up to me (he's 3) and says "daddy stole your pack pack (yea he says pack pack instead of back pack) Na Na Na Boo Boo!" as he's shaking his butt in my face with his toungue sticking out. WTF ? lol Hilarious nonetheless.
So all in all, I'm glad he's on board but I'm a wee worried lol
It's cool he's on board but WTH with just taking all of your things? That's kinda rude I think. How would he feel if YOU did something like that? If he came home one day and you said, "Hey babe, I sold all yer stuff that I didn't feel we'd need in order to buy silver for barter." Would he be cool with that? :-/ I get that his military experience is good to have but it seems that maybe he's gotten on board and taken over? Cuz he's the man? I dunno...seems rude and inconsiderate to me though. Just another womans perspective I guess.

I can understand that. As the man in our Family, I often think I should take the reigns. I see the error in my ways too though. My wife and I have almost completely opposite skills that we bring to the table, so I have learned that sometimes it's best for me to do just that.... Learn.

I am a lifelong "Gun guy". An FFL Dealer and gunsmith by trade. I have always hunted and trapped and been an avid competitive shooter. She has always been in the medical field and recently finished school. I have been taught how to live on minimal everything. I know how to "Kill stuff". She has an insight on how to make things more convenient without making them heavy and burdensome. She also knows hoe to "Fix stuff". If we need to eat, I can cover that. We both shoot a lot, so defense is a team effort with us training to operate as a unit and understanding each others' communications is important. She can handle health and related issues like first aid, and even longer term care having a good bit of experience with wound care, etc.

I see his point on the tents too though. Both sides, actually. I like ot use a tent, but I have recently taken to primitive shelters. I bought a good book on "Wilderness Survival" by Tom Brown Jr. It is INVALUABLE if you are trying to reduce the weight of your packs. I realized that the VAST majority of things needed for survival can be had from mother nature. Now, instead of packing tents and cots, or even tarps and stakes, I pack paracord(Lots of it) and tools to make tools. That way we can build SERIOUS grade shelters from what's around us. I have practiced with everything from "Junk"(Literally) to trees, leaves, and survival cement. I was surprised to see what quality one can come up with after having some practice. Making a shelter that can house you in sub-zero weather for YEARS out of mother nature's throwaways is comforting. Especially if all if takes is a pound or two of capacity from your pack's ability. Survivalist abilities for living is seriously comforting. Primitive and native cultures have always done it. I don't see why we can't too.

On a final note, hj1984, I think that setting boundaries is important, but I can dig how you are keeping a sense of humor about it all. I think taht is a wise approach. You will both play better as a team if you not only respect each other, but also don't get too offended too easily. Two thumbs up to you!

I can understand that. As the man in our Family, I often think I should take the reigns. I see the error in my ways too though. My wife and I have almost completely opposite skills that we bring to the table, so I have learned that sometimes it's best for me to do just that.... Learn.

I am a lifelong "Gun guy". An FFL Dealer and gunsmith by trade. I have always hunted and trapped and been an avid competitive shooter. She has always been in the medical field and recently finished school. I have been taught how to live on minimal everything. I know how to "Kill stuff". She has an insight on how to make things more convenient without making them heavy and burdensome. She also knows hoe to "Fix stuff". If we need to eat, I can cover that. We both shoot a lot, so defense is a team effort with us training to operate as a unit and understanding each others' communications is important. She can handle health and related issues like first aid, and even longer term care having a good bit of experience with wound care, etc.

I see his point on the tents too though. Both sides, actually. I like ot use a tent, but I have recently taken to primitive shelters. I bought a good book on "Wilderness Survival" by Tom Brown Jr. It is INVALUABLE if you are trying to reduce the weight of your packs. I realized that the VAST majority of things needed for survival can be had from mother nature. Now, instead of packing tents and cots, or even tarps and stakes, I pack paracord(Lots of it) and tools to make tools. That way we can build SERIOUS grade shelters from what's around us. I have practiced with everything from "Junk"(Literally) to trees, leaves, and survival cement. I was surprised to see what quality one can come up with after having some practice. Making a shelter that can house you in sub-zero weather for YEARS out of mother nature's throwaways is comforting. Especially if all if takes is a pound or two of capacity from your pack's ability. Survivalist abilities for living is seriously comforting. Primitive and native cultures have always done it. I don't see why we can't too.

On a final note, hj1984, I think that setting boundaries is important, but I can dig how you are keeping a sense of humor about it all. I think taht is a wise approach. You will both play better as a team if you not only respect each other, but also don't get too offended too easily. Two thumbs up to you!
I understand what you're saying about each person having their own strenths and weaknesses. Even though we all hunt and fish it is definately more my husbands strong point than mine. I can do it just fine but he is better at it. And I am better at organizing things and food preparation and heath related stuff. We're a good team...BUT...back to her original issue...if I had been prepping for a long time, and he just now decided to get on board with it, it seems like maybe he should be giving her enough respect to at least consult with her about things and not just take over what she's already done without her permission. He could say, "hey..ya know..I was thinking we could put this and that in a bag. What do you think?" It would be respectful that way. not just decide that just because he's "The man" that he should be the one to all of a sudden start making decisions without any input from her...even though she has been prepping for MUCH longer than him. I don't know about you guys but I have my preps pretty organized in the way that I want them so I know where everything is...if someone just came in and started moving things around without any input from me that would be PRETTY annoying. JMO

yay I'm def not happy that I have NO CLUE where any of my stuff is. I knew exactly where the gauze was, or where the emergency 55hr candle was...now its all MIA and if I were to just start ripping thru the bags to see where they are, then he'd be upset so its a lose lose. I want my damn bag back that I bought myself cuz its the smaller molle daypack system. I was gonna get him the bigger one, and he has his C bag from the Marines so I assumed he'd use that. I literally CAN NOT put the bag on that he packed. It's way too heavy, I think it may be overpacked IMO, beyond the ratings for the bag itself. Grr, I think I may be over-reacting a little bit but Damn, this was my thing and he's joining. He wouldn't want me to go into his tool shed and re-arrange all his shit lol sorry if I sound irritated today, he's gotten on my bad side again this AM. We were supposed to go christmas shopping in indiana and needed to be on the road by 1030 and I woke him up to get ready while I ran out and did some errands, and of course he was still in bed when I got home so he's just now in the shower. I think he's TRYING to irritate me lol

I'm actually gonna give you some advice. since he's got wilderness survival skills which are a good thing. plan next summer to do a two week trip to the boundary waters in northern Minnesota. that trip will give you a sense of how important weight management is when shtf and you have to ask yourself what do I want vs. what do I need especially when you have to lug all the weight. his opinions on the tent will change the moment Mosquitos get involved. remember Mosquitos spread disease and good luck finding a doomsday pharmacy.

the problem with the tent is that most tents won't survive a single season of continued use so canvas is the way to go

Latest posts

Back