Help with shelter

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pluss that'd also give ya good experince in building some thing like that...good luck with it

pluss that'd also give ya good experince in building some thing like that...good luck with it
That's the main reason I'm doing this. I've never built a shelter like this. I so have 7 years experience building houses so I'm hoping that will help me a good amount. I've watched a bunch of videos on YouTube about building stuff like this so I at least have a small idea how to do it.

So it's 1/2 permanent and 1/2 temporary? I don't think I've seen someone make anything like this before, though I do think it sounds interesting. I have used part of a collapsed house as part of a shelter, but only because I had to...

So the floor and walls will be underground and permanent, and you are going to make a natural, lean-to roof?

So it's 1/2 permanent and 1/2 temporary? I don't think I've seen someone make anything like this before, though I do think it sounds interesting. I have used part of a collapsed house as part of a shelter, but only because I had to...

So the floor and walls will be underground and permanent, and you are going to make a natural, lean-to roof?
Yea that's the plan. I mainly want this to be like a checkpoint on my way to my main Bol but also want to use it as a place to camp and test out my bob for a day or two at a time. The main reason I wanted to dig down is so that the lean to is as high as it would be if I was laying on the ground. I might just dig down the depth of two rows of cinder blocks now and use them as the walls. It will get me down low enough and it won't be so deep that I'll need to worry about a collapse when I'm in it

So I've decided to just give my plan a shot. Even if I have to do maintenance once in a while I'm okay with it. It would give me a reason to test out my bag and enjoy some time in the woods. I'm going to doge down maybe 2 feet now instead and build something along the lines of a lean to debri pile on top with space for a little concrete fire place for heat. I'd like to eventually be able to go camp in the middle of winter so this would give me a place to do it
I like keeping a project simple, and it won't cost too much more than some labor. Remember you can't build a fire on concrete, or too close to it. Concrete has water in it and will 'pop', sending little chunks of concrete all over. You need to line it with a fired brick of some kind. I love camping in the spring and fall, but haven't tried the winter yet. I would need to really think about the gear ahead of time for that, but it sounds like an interesting challenge.

I like keeping a project simple, and it won't cost too much more than some labor. Remember you can't build a fire on concrete, or too close to it. Concrete has water in it and will 'pop', sending little chunks of concrete all over. You need to line it with a fired brick of some kind. I love camping in the spring and fall, but haven't tried the winter yet. I would need to really think about the gear ahead of time for that, but it sounds like an interesting challenge.

Thank you for the heads up about the concrete. I had no idea. I've only camped during the summer but I need to be able to get ready for winter for when shtf. I have some slate parts from an old walkway at my house. Do you think I'd be able to use that or is it just smarter to go buy fire bricks. I'm trying to do this for as little money as possible. Pretty much pthe cost of the para cord and zip ties I already have.

Thank you for the heads up about the concrete. I had no idea. I've only camped during the summer but I need to be able to get ready for winter for when shtf. I have some slate parts from an old walkway at my house. Do you think I'd be able to use that or is it just smarter to go buy fire bricks. I'm trying to do this for as little money as possible. Pretty much pthe cost of the para cord and zip ties I already have.
So, you're not sleeping either! I don't know about slate, it's basically compacted mud so probably wouldn't erupt like concrete, but would probably crumble as it dried out. Who knows, it may get harder like ceramics in a kiln. Test out a couple pieces and let me know how it works. You can always just dig a little depression in the dirt and burn there also. I like the working with what you have or find idea.

I'm on a reverse schedule for sleep now. I woke up at 830pm today. I have some slate around my fire pit now but I rarely have fires big and hot that get on it. I'll probably just dig a depression. The whole reason for using bricks or slate would be to try to direct the heat towards me. I have plenty of pressure treated wood and cinder blocks for building so most I already have. All I would need is branches for the lean to.

Just got done 3 hours of cutting down trees and getting a bunch of wood cut for firewood this winter. In the process I got about 75% of the wood I'll need to build my shelter. Although I took advantage of having a chainsaw I'm quite happy getting that much done today

I like keeping a project simple... I love camping in the spring and fall, but haven't tried the winter yet. I would need to really think about the gear ahead of time for that, but it sounds like an interesting challenge.

I love camping, too. I absolutely hate winter time, but I even camp when it's below 10 degrees. We went when it was about 20 with serious winds, some gusts kicking up 40mph. We managed to keep everything pinned down and kept warm. We built a wall around the campsite with tarps so we could hold off some wind and kept the fire radiating heat in towards us. My cousin and I went during December, January, and February last year. Keeping it simple is always a good idea if you ask me. Simple gear that's made for the task will keep you going a lot longer than some fancy schmancy stuff that breaks or is heavy to hike with.

I'm a bit curious about building a hidden semi permenant shelter for camping/bugging out. I haven't seen many ideas for digging down a little and building a debri pile/tarp roof over. To be more specific I was thinking of digging about 3 feet down and building a debri shelter 1-2 feet high over it. It would give me about 5 feet high. I would use cinder blocks for walls under ground and build a place for a fire place also. I think over all it would be 6'x6'. Does anyone think something like this would be a good idea. And if not how would you change it for the better.

On the cheap, I would just recommend using some 2x4's and metal roofing sheets (which are pretty cheap) for the roof. I'd go a bit bigger than 6'x6' though, even 6'x10', so you, AND some gear can fit in. Save tarps for the entrance. (also, incorporate some firing ports, and have some concrete blocks (and or sandbags) you can use to shore up the entry if using this location as a redoubt.

Be sure dig in some grenade sumps too...not just for grenades, will also help with any kind of water issue.

just to be on the safe side of life..as much as you can be..made some plans how to empty my walk-in closet of all the "crap" and convert it to a make shift shelter, can do it in around 5-7min and the best part is,it's surrounded by concrete walls on all 4 sides. right now all it needs are two holes in opposite walls and two hooks and I have something to put my hammock on.

A cleaned out closet is pretty much my dream. I really should do that sometime. So much junk ends up in there.

i would use
I'm a bit curious about building a hidden semi permenant shelter for camping/bugging out. I haven't seen many ideas for digging down a little and building a debri pile/tarp roof over. To be more specific I was thinking of digging about 3 feet down and building a debri shelter 1-2 feet high over it. It would give me about 5 feet high. I would use cinder blocks for walls under ground and build a place for a fire place also. I think over all it would be 6'x6'. Does anyone think something like this would be a good idea. And if not how would you change it for the better.
a natural starting base ! like an exhisting rock face or hillside to build off of ! i would not dig down because then you get into water issues unless you want to dig a curtain drain around a debris hut lol! which actually wouldnt be impossible if there is creek rock nearby... but anyway debris huts require constant upkeep and maintenance because all things green wither and rot! so i would go more permanent ! places online always giving away free palletts and lumber .. maybe a small 1 room scrap cabin! then throw you together a hobo stove for heating lol sounds like my dream house!

Latest posts

Back