Help with first aid kit

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesk

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for a good (but affordable) advanced first aid kit for home. I’m looking for it to cover everything from a broken nail to a major trauma. Obviously no kit or basic knowledge can take the place of a hospital. I’m just looking for the equipment to stabilize a family member until I can get them medical treatment.
Thanks!

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for a good (but affordable) advanced first aid kit for home. I’m looking for it to cover everything from a broken nail to a major trauma. Obviously no kit or basic knowledge can take the place of a hospital. I’m just looking for the equipment to stabilize a family member until I can get them medical treatment.
Thanks!

Welcome! Personally i went with building my own kit. The reason is one must be able to use what you have. The second is it will help you Learn as you read and choose every item. There are threads on here with needed medical items on them.

Why not start with a large empty bag and fill with all every day items like bandages, bandaids, neosporin, iodine etc. Add antibiotics in the form of Fish Antibiotics. These are the same as the ones bought for humans. Check out Doom and Bloom with Dr Bones and wife Amy ARNP.

I am sure others with medical experience will jump in here.

Last edited:
did what GergiaPeachie and many others here, start with an empty bag and build it up from there, add suture kits,splints and so on, pls check the "First Aid deparment" here.
but as you get the stuff also learn how to use it.

many pre-built first aid kits contain good stuff but also sub standard crap.

Be careful, this is like BRD (Black Rifle Disease), RBRD ( Retro Black Rifle Disease ), KT ( Kit Disease )
I carry a IFAK while out wandering....

Welcome! Personally i went with building my own kit. The reason is one must be able to use what you have. The second is it will help you Learn as you read and choose every item. There are threads on here with needed medical items on them.

Why not start with a large empty bag and fill with all every day items like bandages, bandaids, neosporin, iodine etc. Add antibiotics in the form of Fish Antibiotics. These are the same as the ones bought for humans. Check out Doom and Bloom with Dr Bones and wife Amy ARNP.

I am sure others with medical experience will jump in here.
I agree with this option. Do some research on what to include; there are some good threads here with information on this subject. Then put together a kit that suits your needs.

Definitely build your own kit
We have a lot of IV supplies as well
Activated charcoal is good for all sorts of things.
I’ve recently got into medicinal herbs
Kerlix rolls, silk tape. Ace bandages. Sutures, the flat ones are best and easiest for beginners and don’t require needle drivers. Lidocaine
Tourniquets. Afrin (bloody noses) tampons also work for this
trauma seals
Electrolyte replacement
TED hose can help for low BP to increase venous return
Of course Tylenol ibuprofen and other OTC stuff

What kind of fish antibiotics would you get? There’s all sorts out there

Doom and Bloom has an excellent article on the best ones to keep. I followed that doctors advice.

“Here is a list of the products that I believe will be beneficial to have as supplies:
FISH-MOX (Amoxicillin 250mg)
FISH_MOX FORTE (Amoxicillin 500mg)
FISH-CILLIN (Ampicillin 250mg)
FISH-FLEX (Keflex 250mg)
FISH-FLEX FORTE (Keflex 500mg)
FISH-ZOLE (Metronidazole 250mg)
FISH-PEN (Penicillin 250mg)
FISH-PEN FORTE (Penicillin 500mg)

BIRD BIOTIC (Doxycycline 100mg) – used in birds but the antibiotic is, again, the sole ingredient
I understand that you might be skeptical about considering the use of aquarium antibiotics for humans in a collapse. Those things are for fish, aren’t they? If this is purely the case, then why are all of the above antibiotics also commonly used on humans? More importantly: Why are these antibiotics in the exact same DOSAGES that are used in humans? Why would a guppy require a dosage of FISH-MOX FORTE that would suffice for a 180 pound human adult? It is my opinion that they are manufactured in the same way that “human” antibiotics are made; I don’t have proof, but perhaps they even come from similar batches.
These medications are available without a prescription in lots of 30 -100 tablets for less than the same prescription medication at the local pharmacy. If you so desired, it appears that you could get as much as you need to stockpile for a collapse. This would be close to impossible to obtain from your physician. Of course, anyone could be allergic to one or another of these antibiotics, but not all of them. There is a 10% chance for cross-reactivity between Penicillin drugs and Keflex (if you are allergic to penicillin, you could also be allergic to Keflex). I have removed FISH-CYCLINE (Tetracycline) from this list due to lingering concerns on the part of some about its use, once expired. There were some reports in the 1960s about kidney damage after expiration (the formulation has changed since then). This one additional fact: I have personally used some (not all) of these antibiotics on my own person without any ill effects. It’s important to note that I am speaking primarily about aquarium antibiotics, as some dog and cat medications also include other chemicals and are not just the antibiotic.
These antibiotics are used at specific doses for specific illnesses; the exact dosage of each and every medication is beyond the scope of this handbook. Suffice it to say that most penicillin and cephalosporin meds are taken at 500mg dosages 3-4 times a day for adults, (250mg dosages for children), whereas Metronidazole (250mg) and Doxycycline (100mg) are taken twice a day. It’s important to have as much information on medications that you plan to store for times of trouble, so consider purchasing a hard copy of the latest Physician’s Desk Reference. This book comes out yearly and has just about every bit of information that exists on a particular medication, including those that do not require prescription. Indications, dosage, risks and side effects are all listed.”

Personally, I did not stock the penicillins. Do some reading on what each one does and start with the those that cover a large amount of infections. Keflex, Amoxicillin, Metronidazole and Doxycycline were the first ones I bought.

DO NOT USE THESE UNTIL THERE AREN’T ANY DOCTORS AVAILABLE!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back