help, what else do i need for preps?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a large alice pack, first aide kit, compact fishing kit, bag of misc tool. Bag of compact toilet paper, 50ft paracord, one canteen with water purification tablets, mess kit with P-38 paracormaed on. Stm
I have a large alice pack, first aide kit, compact fishing kit, bag of misc tool. Bag of compact toilet paper, 50ft paracord, one canteen with water purification tablets, mess kit with P-38 paracored on. Stainless steel cup and folding stove with about 50 pyropacks. Camo poncho, poncho liner, bayonet, multi tool, mora knife, warerproof matches, regular matches, magnesium firestarter, lighters, bag of dryer lint for tinder, four mres, four freeze dried meals, tea bags, binocs, shemagh, tripwire and my ak47 with chest rig with seven mags and about 1500 rounds 7.62x39, just stockpiled not in my pack

ainless steel cup and foldimpng stove with about 50 pyropacks. Camo poncho, poncho liner, bayonet, multi tool, mora knife, warerproof matches, regular matches, magnesium firestarter, lighters, bag of dryer lint for tinder, four mres, four freeze dried meals, tea bags, binocs, shemagh, tripwire and my ak47 with chest rig with seven mags and about 1500 rounds 7.62x39, just stockpiled not in my pack
map and co

Someone suggested a hatchet,good idea but its easier to replace a tomahawk handle,it just slips thru the eye on the head.Cold Steel sells some good ones pretty cheap.

Someone suggested a hatchet,good idea but its easier to replace a tomahawk handle,it just slips thru the eye on the head.Cold Steel sells some good ones pretty cheap.

I am a fan of a full tang machete (jungle bolo). I use the ones issued to our Armed Forces here during the 1980s. I would recommend having one of these too.

Look at what the Army uses as an "approach load" that is what I used as a bas for my BOB's. Foot powder, sunblock extra SOCKS..if your marching your feet will need them. I have some great ones from Fox river I just love. Padded bottoms and everything wore them on FTX's all the time. Someone else said compass...THIS is essential. Get a compass and a good grid map of your AO and the place your headed and the areas in between. USGS has almost everywhere mapped in the US. Get a GOOD lensatic compass and take a land nav course. You can probably find one on You tube.

For actual preps?? You need food and water and more ammo for starters.

If you bug out with what you have your a refugee in a SHTF situation. You'd be a armed well equipped refugee but you need a BOL or your gonna eventually have a big set of problems. Also are you working with anyone? Alone in a hostile environment your eventually gonna get hurt or sick and be in a bad way.

Off to a good start though.

All of you guys really have some great add-ons. Foot powder is great...so is a sewing kit. Duct tape is usually something that people overlook and is very useful. Justin, under 40 lbs huh? That's pretty darn good if you have everything you need. I'm going to try to make mine as light as possible too, while still being practical. Is there a slang term for those preppers that try to tow way too much gear around?

How many rounds do you carry on you in this situation? Like another suggested, adding a pistol is likely a good idea.
I'll also add to the suggestion of a tarp (and add a minimum of four bungee cords (to hold the corners of the tarp as a shelter), and add at least 6 tent stakes (can go through the grommets of the tarp).

Clean spare socks and underwear, and add soap.

50 pyro packs? Wow, that has to be a lot of room. Maybe strip that down?
Add some seasonings too (I'm wagering a little seasoning salt goes a long way to making squirrel a bit tastier)
Also, add multi-vitamins (as you'll likely have gaps in your diet).

rain suiet with hood.or some thing else to keep rain off you,
He has the camo poncho for that. ;)

I also like to carry a small pair of binoculars in my BOB/GHB. Knowledge is power, and being able to see another's details before they can assess you, is pretty powerful.

A water purification straw is a good addition also (as mentioned)

I believe that the best way to build a BOB/GHB is to use the few priorities of survival to determine what to put in.

1. Shelter
2. Food/Water
3. Fire
4. Defence
5. First Aid
6. Clothing

Try to find gear which are multi use so that you save on space. Remember that you are likely to WALK your way with your BOB so make sure you are comfy trekking long distances with that on your bag. DDP Season 1 had this chick who didn't realise how heavy her BOB was and took eons to get to her bug out vehicle. That I thought was a valuable lesson and 1 which keeps me from adding too much stuff into the pack.

I am also looking at ways to lighten my BOB now, so food is now energy bars and water filtration bottles.

OKO has some awesome L2 bottles for example. I might pack an extra lifestraw and 10-20 water purification tablets. I don't have to pack guns but my impression is use an AK to hunt is quite erm.. from what I've been reading, I'd go for a .22 for hunting purposes and the ammo is lighter.

A pistol is definitely a good addition. For those short range up close and personal encounters.

Just my 2cents.

Like what Gazrok said, a tarp is a good item to bring along.

A Flashlight would be a necessary tool also to have in your pack. Also an AM radio. Don't forget the batteries...

Forget about the fancy magnesium/flint stuff (remember, this is your 72-hour bugout bag), bring a lighter (or two or even, three).

A Small bottle (500ml) would also be useful to match with your Lifestraw, just to avoid having to bend over too much.

I have a large alice pack, first aide kit, compact fishing kit, bag of misc tool. Bag of compact toilet paper, 50ft paracord, one canteen with water purification tablets, mess kit with P-38 paracored on. Stainless steel cup and folding stove with about 50 pyropacks. Camo poncho, poncho liner, bayonet, multi tool, mora knife, warerproof matches, regular matches, magnesium firestarter, lighters, bag of dryer lint for tinder, four mres, four freeze dried meals, tea bags, binocs, shemagh, tripwire and my ak47 with chest rig with seven mags and about 1500 rounds 7.62x39, just stockpiled not in my pack
It sounds to me that you basically have a bug out kit. Carrying things like an ak47, bayonet and all that other stuff for any period of time is going to be really hard. You need a bug in location that is well stocked, fortified and able to be reached within 48 hours on foot. You need to pare down your bug out kit so that you can move quickly and quietly. I'd carry a handgun and possibly a ruger takedown 22 instead of the heavy ak47 while you are on the move. If this is all you have in the way of preps, I would look at where you currently live now as your bug in location. You may not have a choice. Not everyone has the resources to have a remote bug out location. I would make sure you have a handgun that you are very comfortable and accurate with, a 12 gauge shotgun, a 22 rifle and then build from there. I'd purchase at least 1 box of ammo a month for each firearm that you own on top of anything that you use for target practice, training or hunting. I think that is realistic for most people's budgets. Next is water and food. I'd buy a Berkey water filter, put a rain catchment barrel on your gutters if possible and buy at least one case of water per week on top of what you normally consume until you feel that you have at least 3 months worth of water. I would buy at least two days worth of food extra on top of what you normally consume per week. That would mean in one month, you would have 8 days worth of food. In one year, you would have 104 days worth of food (3-4 months worth), That is doable for most people. Maybe it is a couple of cans of soup, some instant oatmeal, some chicken that is on sale that you can in a pressure canner. Get a dehydrator and dehydrate veggies you grow or frozen ones when they are on sale for 99 cents a bag. Then, start on first aide supplies. Start with basics like Benadryl, pain relievers, fish antibiotics, bandages. Don't forget a snake bite kit. As you add to your stock, fringe out adding more than just the basics. Concentrate on quality when it comes to supplies. Don't buy the cheapest. Buy the best you can afford. Buy two of things like pocket knives, fixed blade knives, fishing poles, camp shovels, axes. You know what they say about two is one and one is none. If something happens to a basic piece of equipment that is vital for survival, you have nothing unless you have a backup. If you are looking into moving and do not live in a more remote location that you can truly turn into a homestead, consider making that a priority. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Like what Gazrok said, a tarp is a good item to bring along.

A Flashlight would be a necessary tool also to have in your pack. Also an AM radio. Don't forget the batteries...

Forget about the fancy magnesium/flint stuff (remember, this is your 72-hour bugout bag), bring a lighter (or two or even, three).

A Small bottle (500ml) would also be useful to match with your Lifestraw, just to avoid having to bend over too much.
A survival radio that has a built in phone charger and light is great. No batteries needed. Just wind it up. http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weath...8-2&keywords=wind+up+radio+with+phone+charger

It sounds to me that you basically have a bug out kit. Carrying things like an ak47, bayonet and all that other stuff for any period of time is going to be really hard. You need a bug in location that is well stock, fortified and able to be reached within 48 hours on foot. You need to pare down your bug out kit so that you can move quickly and quietly. I'd carry a handgun and possibly a ruger takedown 22 instead of the heavy ak47 while you are on the move. If this is all you have in the way of preps, I would look at where you currently live now as your bug out location. You may not have a choice. Not everyone has the resources to have a remote bug out location. I would make sure you have a handgun that you are very comfortable and accurate with, a 12 gauge shotgun, a 22 rifle and then build from there. I'd purchase at least 1 box of ammo a month for each firearm that you own on top of anything that you use for target practice, training or hunting. I think that is realistic for most people's budgets. Next is water and food. I'd buy a Berkey water filter, put a rain catchment barrel on your gutters if possible and buy at least one case of water per week on top of what you normally consume until you feel that you have at least 3 months worth of water. I would buy at least two days worth of food extra on top of what you normally consume per week. That would mean in one month, you would have 8 days worth of food. In one year, you would have 104 days worth of food (3-4 months worth), That is doable for most people. Maybe it is a couple of cans of soup, some instant oatmeal, some chicken that is on sale that you can in a pressure canner. Get a dehydrator and dehydrate veggies you grow or frozen ones when they are on sale for 99 cents a bag. Then, start on first aide supplies. Start with basics like Benadryl, pain relievers, fish antibiotics, bandages. Don't forget a snake bite kit. As you add to your stock, fringe out adding more than just the basics. Concentrate on quality when it comes to supplies. Don't buy the cheapest. Buy the best you can afford. Buy two of things like pocket knives, fixed blade knives, fishing poles, camp shovels, axes. You know what they say about two is one and one is none. If something happens to a basic piece of equipment that is vital for survival, you have nothing unless you have a backup. If you are looking into moving and do not live in a more remote location that you can truly turn into a homestead, consider making that a priority. I hope this helps.
WOW this information was a great help!! When it comes to kids ( under 13 ((girls)) would it be wise to start them out using high powered pellet guns?

gettingreadymama..yeah it could be the best route to take..that'll give them a chance to get use to the idea of shooting a gun..and get use shooting at some thing as well..one thing i did when it comes to practice targets,is..i used search to locate free printable practice targets.in which i saved to my documents,then transfered them to a cd.that way i can print out what i need ,and when i need to.this i dont buy more then what i need.then i built a wooden frame that i staple the targets,then i either lean it against some thing.or stick the legs of it into the ground.and at 100 feet i take my practice shots untill gun is empty.then onto a new target and reload of gun.being out in the country gives me plenty of practice area where no one will get hurt or what ever.

WOW this information was a great help!! When it comes to kids ( under 13 ((girls)) would it be wise to start them out using high powered pellet guns?
No! Don't make me come over there! Shooting a 22 rifle should be easy for most. Just because they are girls doesn't mean they aren't capable. The most important thing that you can do for your daughters is tell them that being strong is more important than being skinny. Strong is the new skinny. They should be working out in a way that makes them strong. I suggest HIIT training and weight training. Then they can handle ANY firearm. Also, let them know that they are just as capable and smart as boys. Otherwise, they will never marry their equal. They will look for someone who will dominate them and not treat them as an equal partner. I met my husband when I was 16. I am now 48 and we have been married for 30 years. I have two daughters that are 28 and 23 and a son who is 20. I speak from experience. Take them to a range and let them try different guns. They will find what is best for them. I carry a ruger 380 with me everywhere I go because I am small framed but the handgun that I am most proficient at is a 1911. People are astonished that I can shoot so well with a 45. Don't dumb things down for your girls. It is insulting. Would you start a teenage boy out with a pellet gun? Probably not. Okay, I'm done preaching.

Last edited:
No! Don't make me come over there! Shooting a 22 rifle should be easy for most. Just because they are girls doesn't mean they aren't capable. The most important thing that you can do for your daughters is tell them that being strong is more important than being skinny. Strong is the new skinny. They should be working out in a way that makes them strong. I suggest HIIT training and weight training. Then they can handle ANY firearm. Also, let them know that they are just as capable and smart as boys. Otherwise, they will never marry their equal. They will look for someone who will dominate them and not treat them as an equal partner. I met my husband when I was 16. I am now 48 and we have been married for 30 years. I have two daughters that are 28 and 23 and a son who is 20. I speak from experience. Take them to a range and let them try different guns. They will find what is best for them. I carry a ruger 380 with me everywhere I go because I am small framed but the handgun that I am most proficient at is a 1911. People are astonished that I can shoot so well with a 45. Don't dumb things down for your girls. It is insulting. Would you start a teenage boy out with a pellet gun? Probably not. Okay, I'm done preaching.
Thank you! I guess a reality check is what I needed!! I want all of my children to be smart, strong and ready!! Training in my house for all is starting TODAY!! I will NO longer keep silent and hope to be the sole protector of my children!!!

Thank you! I guess a reality check is what I needed!! I want all of my children to be smart, strong and ready!! Training in my house for all is starting TODAY!! I will NO longer keep silent and hope to be the sole protector of my children!!!
Good girl! I can not tell you the peace that comes with knowing your girls can take care of themselves. As your kids (boys and girls alike) get stronger, they will become motivated to continue to better themselves. There is no limit to what they can do and learn! Blessings to your family.

Good girl! I can not tell you the peace that comes with knowing your girls can take care of themselves. As your kids (boys and girls alike) get stronger, they will become motivated to continue to better themselves. There is no limit to what they can do and learn! Blessings to your family.
And to yours as well!! Looking forward to more great advice!

Latest posts

Back