Help please I need advice??

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGirl07

Reaction score
Ok so I'm not new to this forum just haven't been on in a really long time. Long story short I lost my job and was out of work for like 2 weeks I found another job however it doesn't pay as much. Good thing I had some preps already especially bottled water bc I haven't had to buy any and had some food too. My point is I'm now running low on supplies and don't have any money I'm talking mere cents in my bank account to the next pay check. What should I do??? Any cheap prep ideas??? And I'm also worried that the SHTF might happen soon??? Opinions please and thank you

Figure Four trap. Though you should have a license to trap, I believe. Hunting and fishing are great ideas too, unless you need the kit. If you don't have that, it's not cheap to get started.

Look into something like Angel's Food pantry(Which has closed down now) or other Christian based charity food drives. They will usually help out. ACTs is another one. If you go to a local church, the will almost always help or at least point you to the right direction. I donated venison to Hunters For The Hungry too, but I don't know exactly how they get teh food to the people. I was told through soup kitchens, and I was told that some local government assistance programs hand it out.

How long until you get paid again? Do you have family or friends in the area? ANyone that might look after you for a bit?

Churches is where I would start. I'll be praying for you for sure.

what all alabaster said.and if you haven't yet.might go to human services..they might not help out,simply because of your job..but who knows.

p.s....great to see ya back..

Sounds like the here and now is much more pressing than preps LGirl07. Have you reached out to any food providing charities? What about Food Stamps, etc.? While working before, you paid taxes to support these kinds of programs for just this reason. Use them! There are lots of programs designed to help folks just like you, and you shouldn't feel guilty for using them, as after all, you PAID for them to be there when you need them!

As for ways to stretch that dollar....COUPONS. Seriously, takes time and effort, but correlating these with store sales can really stretch your food dollar. I feed 5 of us, and I'd say only about 1 out of every 20 items I get at the store doesn't have a coupon or sale attached.

Go to your local Social Services Department. If you do not qualify for food stamps because of your job, they usually give a voucher for you to go to the Salvation Army who will provide you with a week's worth of groceries. It is usually a good mix of canned and fresh foods. Whenever I find coupons that make canned goods and other non-perishables that I won't eat for free, I donate them to the Salvation Army for just this purpose.
There are also a lot of articles on homesteading and prepping websites on how to prep. Here's one that showed up on my Facebook newsfeed this morning: http://thesurvivalmom.com/famine-menu-food-storage/
Also, seeds are a lot cheaper than food. There's still plenty of time to grow in the south and even apartment dwellers can put in a few potted plants. Again, lots of articles on the web regarding container gardening if you don't have a garden plot.

As others have said hit up the churches in your area. I have a friend who has been out of work for months and is living in his car. He makes the rounds of various churches and they give out food (canned and fresh including meat), gas cards, cards to local and chain stores (Target/Walmart) and have even provided him with small amounts of cash so he can get a motel room every now and then.

Everyone here had good ideas and I think a combination of them all is a good start. I am sure in time you will be back on your feet, and you'll be able to look back at this time as prepping practice. I like to listen to Dave Ramsey on the radio, he's a financial coach. I've learned a lot from him. One of the first things I'd look at is what bills do you have, and make some tough decisions with what you can live without. There's always something you can cut out, even if only temporarily. Loose the cell phone, internet, etc. most people think these are necessities, there just luxuries. (I've managed to live without a cell phone for almost 10 yrs and haven't stopped breathing yet)! You can use the internet at most libraries. Look at the four basics first, food, shelter, clothing and transportation. Having something to eat is not an option you can cut out. Shelter beats the hell out of sleeping under a bridge. Clothing and transportation are necessary to find work. You probably allready have clothing, and if your strapped in a high car payment, sell it. Ride a bike if feasible, and if not buy a cheap car you can afford. I heard a saying once, when you're in emergency mode like you are now, the only time you should see the inside of a restauraunt is when your washing the dishes. Just remember, this won't be forever, but by cutting all luxuries out for a time you can weather this. I wish you all the luck in the world in finding better work and am sure you will be back on your feet before long.

I wish I could convince the family to live without cell phones (at least smart ones, and get the damn pay as you go). We have to have internet for a few different reasons, but we could certainly nix the premium cable. Again, getting the wife's buy-in though...won't happen.

I wish I could convince the family to live without cell phones (at least smart ones, and get the damn pay as you go). We have to have internet for a few different reasons, but we could certainly nix the premium cable. Again, getting the wife's buy-in though...won't happen.
Pay as you go smart phones might be a good compromise. Unlimited phone, text, and internet at a lot of companies now, from Boost, Cricket, AT&T, and others.

Yeah, good luck on that one. Of course we all can live without all these expensive distracting gadgets, but getting people to actually try it is another story. I really don't miss a cell phone much. Sure there are times it would be cool to have a smart phone in my pocket to look up some info on something or to use gps, etc. On the other hand, I like being able to spend that 50. Bucks a month on something I feel is more productive, like prepping! (Or whatever is high on your list).

I could live just fine with pay as you go, but the family......sigh.

It's all about more income and being as frugal as needed . Take a less demanding 2nd job . I wish I could find away to get by and not touch my pay check and let it build up but It's just not doable .

Ok so I'm not new to this forum just haven't been on in a really long time. Long story short I lost my job and was out of work for like 2 weeks I found another job however it doesn't pay as much. Good thing I had some preps already especially bottled water bc I haven't had to buy any and had some food too. My point is I'm now running low on supplies and don't have any money I'm talking mere cents in my bank account to the next pay check. What should I do??? Any cheap prep ideas??? And I'm also worried that the SHTF might happen soon??? Opinions please and thank you
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

It does make prepping life easier when the wife supports you!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Sounds like the here and now is much more pressing than preps LGirl07. Have you reached out to any food providing charities? What about Food Stamps, etc.? While working before, you paid taxes to support these kinds of programs for just this reason. Use them! There are lots of programs designed to help folks just like you, and you shouldn't feel guilty for using them, as after all, you PAID for them to be there when you need them!

As for ways to stretch that dollar....COUPONS. Seriously, takes time and effort, but correlating these with store sales can really stretch your food dollar. I feed 5 of us, and I'd say only about 1 out of every 20 items I get at the store doesn't have a coupon or sale attached.

I do all the coupons and have checked into options like food stamps before I do not qualify bc they say I work enough hours and I don't have any kids.

Food pantries, then. Almost all churches provide food stuffs to those in need. If you are near a city, look that way. There are usually far more homeless there looking for help so the resources are usually in that direction.

the cell phone my mom and i have..are tracfones..and no internet with these ones..on account all we need them for is to make what phone call we actually need to make and/or receive...including if the we end up broke down on the side of the road...and even then.we dont use them all that much..

Those food stamp cards are great but if You get a new job, they won't help You- even if You're hungry. As some other replies suggested, getting food from natural sources can be effective. When I was hungry and broke, I used to carry a fish-hook and some line in my wallet. These are easy to find if You go to an area where You know people were fishing. You can find fish line with hooks lying in the sand, tangled in the rocks or otherwise abandoned. If A bobber is needed, I always used a small dry twig. setting Your depth.
A small cylinder-shaped pebble works well as a sinker if You tie several slip-knots around it. Bait is usually not far away because where there are fish, You always find fish-food. It's usually in the form of bugs; i.e. crickets, grass hoppers, night crawlers, grubb worms, Perry-winkles, and even the small mussel-shells have fish-food in them if fresh.
Also, You might note that some 'fish food' is also fit for humans. I wouldn't eat the mussel-shell meat unless 1st identifying it. Some varieties are toxic to humans.
I've done my best fishing when I was hungry.
Well, hope this helps. I would have hollered earlier except that I just now found Your post. Lazy me, eh?

Those food stamp cards are great but if You get a new job, they won't help You- even if You're hungry. As some other replies suggested, getting food from natural sources can be effective. When I was hungry and broke, I used to carry a fish-hook and some line in my wallet. These are easy to find if You go to an area where You know people were fishing. You can find fish line with hooks lying in the sand, tangled in the rocks or otherwise abandoned. If A bobber is needed, I always used a small dry twig. setting Your depth.
A small cylinder-shaped pebble works well as a sinker if You tie several slip-knots around it. Bait is usually not far away because where there are fish, You always find fish-food. It's usually in the form of bugs; i.e. crickets, grass hoppers, night crawlers, grubb worms, Perry-winkles, and even the small mussel-shells have fish-food in them if fresh.
Also, You might note that some 'fish food' is also fit for humans. I wouldn't eat the mussel-shell meat unless 1st identifying it. Some varieties are toxic to humans.
I've done my best fishing when I was hungry.
Well, hope this helps. I would have hollered earlier except that I just now found Your post. Lazy me, eh?

Hey it's ok you weren't being lazy. I hate to admit this but I don't like fish or seafood no if the SHTF then yeh I might if I was hungry enough. Lol

Hey it's ok you weren't being lazy. I hate to admit this but I don't like fish or seafood no if the SHTF then yeh I might if I was hungry enough. Lol
Sometimes Your bod tells You what is needed. If You don't like fish, it's telling You something.....?
By the way. do You like fruit? Blackberries are in season as well as rose-hips & many other species of edible stuff.This is harvest season so if You can't find food You like, look again.

Last edited:
[q uote="forager, post: 58437, member: 2945"]Sometimes Your bod tells You what is needed. If You don't like fish, it's telling You something.....?
By the way. do You like fruit? Blackberries are in season as well as rose-hips & many other species of edible stuff.This is harvest season so if You can't find food You like, look again.[/quote]

Yes I love fruit I'm a big girl but give me fruits over chocolate any day however to much fruit does mess up my stomach lol

Latest posts

Back