Help please I need advice??

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[q uote="forager, post: 58437, member: 2945"]Sometimes Your bod tells You what is needed. If You don't like fish, it's telling You something.....?
By the way. do You like fruit? Blackberries are in season as well as rose-hips & many other species of edible stuff.This is harvest season so if You can't find food You like, look again.

Yes I love fruit I'm a big girl but give me fruits over chocolate any day however to much fruit does mess up my stomach lol[/quote]

Being somewhat familiar with Your area, I can fairly well assure You that There is quite a variety of naturally growing food near You. You'd just need to make sure You're not in an area that has industrial fall-out in the wake of Katrina. You really don't need a radiation monitor at this point to tell You what ares are safe because if You look across the terrain, any dead or sporadically-growing vegetation indicates non-safe.
Flourishing plants that have flowers should be there in safe areas.

Yes I love fruit I'm a big girl but give me fruits over chocolate any day however to much fruit does mess up my stomach lol

Being somewhat familiar with Your area, I can fairly well assure You that There is quite a variety of naturally growing food near You. You'd just need to make sure You're not in an area that has industrial fall-out in the wake of Katrina. You really don't need a radiation monitor at this point to tell You what ares are safe because if You look across the terrain, any dead or sporadically-growing vegetation indicates non-safe.
Flourishing plants that have flowers should be there in safe areas.[/quote]

Yeh well I don't live in that area but I was affected by hurricane Rita the hurricane that hit louisiana like two days before Katrina. There was damage but not as bad as Katrina caused

Just for thought. Buy chicken when it is on sale . . . .real cheap, as much as you can and make it stretch. Boil to debone for various meals and casseroles (either can or freeze). Can up the broth for soups. Pressure can the bones until mush and dry in the oven. Once dry put thru blender. You have just made your own bone meal to put in the garden. Use every last scrap of food that you have. Just one example

You mentioned using your bottled water. This is the LAST part of your preps I would touch. My suggestion is to replace what you used and then use from the tap. If you absolutely MUST use "commercial water", then look for a vending machine that fills a 5 gal bottle for $0.25. We have this in the local shopping center. It has an RO filter in it.

Next, kill the cable if you have it. If you have a cell phone, it may even be cheaper (though not as fast) to add data and shut off cable (or DSL) internet. Tether to your phone. If you have a car, and drive to / from work, only go to stores on the way to or from.

My opinion is that "cutting expenses" is your #1 priority. Acquiring knowledge #2 and Raising income is #3. With that in mind, cut out every non-essential expense first. TV is first to go in my home. Any kind of landline phone would be next (replaced with a prepaid cell if you do not already have one). It is up to you to prioritize though.

Not to turn this political but individuals are not government. Our priorities have to be cutting expenses first, raising income last :-D

You mentioned using your bottled water. This is the LAST part of your preps I would touch. My suggestion is to replace what you used and then use from the tap. If you absolutely MUST use "commercial water", then look for a vending machine that fills a 5 gal bottle for $0.25. We have this in the local shopping center. It has an RO filter in it.

Next, kill the cable if you have it. If you have a cell phone, it may even be cheaper (though not as fast) to add data and shut off cable (or DSL) internet. Tether to your phone. If you have a car, and drive to / from work, only go to stores on the way to or from.

My opinion is that "cutting expenses" is your #1 priority. Acquiring knowledge #2 and Raising income is #3. With that in mind, cut out every non-essential expense first. TV is first to go in my home. Any kind of landline phone would be next (replaced with a prepaid cell if you do not already have one). It is up to you to prioritize though.

Not to turn this political but individuals are not government. Our priorities have to be cutting expenses first, raising income last :-D

Yeh I don't have cable just pay for internet connection and when it comes to extra spending there isn't much of that it's goes bills, food, dog, and anything left is next to nothing. My water from my faucet is well water and not the best even though I use a filtration system on my house I don't trust the water at all. I boiled it one day for a long time and still had residue in the containers. And I forgot about the water thing that u can fill thanks for the info.

Is your internet connection via cable? Do you have a cell phone (with data)? For the time being you can tether your computer to the cell phone to check emails, forums, tips, and tricks. Not good for "streaming video". this would free up the money spent on internet. I am assuming in LA your biggest household expense is for air conditioning. Set thermostat higher. Also if you have a "fridge / freezer" make sure the freezer is full by adding water bottles if necessary. Do the same for the fridge. This will consume less electricity. Also, if its not in use, turn it off for lights, etc. Another thing is to put all of your "standby" loads (stereo, television, wall transformers, computer) on a switchable power strip. All of these thing combined are the cheapest and easiest way to lower your electric bill. Also turn down the heat on your water tank. This can be a big savings whether electric or gas. As for gasoline, make every drop "count".

The situation you are looking at is "bugging in" without the loss of the comforts of society :)

Is your internet connection via cable? Do you have a cell phone (with data)? For the time being you can tether your computer to the cell phone to check emails, forums, tips, and tricks. Not good for "streaming video". this would free up the money spent on internet. I am assuming in LA your biggest household expense is for air conditioning. Set thermostat higher. Also if you have a "fridge / freezer" make sure the freezer is full by adding water bottles if necessary. Do the same for the fridge. This will consume less electricity. Also, if its not in use, turn it off for lights, etc. Another thing is to put all of your "standby" loads (stereo, television, wall transformers, computer) on a switchable power strip. All of these thing combined are the cheapest and easiest way to lower your electric bill. Also turn down the heat on your water tank. This can be a big savings whether electric or gas. As for gasoline, make every drop "count".

The situation you are looking at is "bugging in" without the loss of the comforts of society :)

I like your thinking bugging in would def not be an option at least not in my house. I live in a trailer and it is basically like an oven with ac not working/on I keep my air around 75 most times and am comfortable unlike most people in Louisiana would be at that temp. I forgot to mention I don't have to pay a water bill here which is good my lights are usually off except for whatever room I'm I'm the tv is never on. My phone had data but I split that with my parents so I can't use a lot and my internet is not through the cable place usually runs me $45 a month for unlimited at house. I've tried to talk to the parents about prepping and that didn't go well lol but whatever it's just me and my dog at my place thanks for the advice

For folks bugging out, my advice is find someone who is set up to bug in (with replenishable water, food, etc.) where you can simply go to help out in a SHTF situation. That way, when you bug out, you have a destination. Strength in numbers, and if we go back 150 years when the grid goes, will be more manual labor to be done, so most places would be happy to have the help.

The only other thing I can think of is gasoline. How far do you drive to work? If it is a long way and a low paying job, you may be better to find something close to home for the same money. At least you would not then have the expense for gas.

Actually I can understand your parents point of view. I have never considered myself a "prepper". I simply grew up poor during a time when "society as we knew it" did fall apart. This was the "rust belt" during the late 70's. Shows like "Doomsday Preppers" does not help the cause either. Seeing people on TV who are prepping for an asteroid strike, but could not even make it through a power outage does not speak well for the community. I was relieved to find that there was more here than discussions of which freeze dried food or rifle to buy :-D

I guess, when you decide to live a simple life, "prepping" just kind of goes along with that :-D

That's simple in a way. I drive a little over an hour each day, just to get to work, and then a little over an hour again, to get home.

For folks bugging out, my advice is find someone who is set up to bug in (with replenishable water, food, etc.) where you can simply go to help out in a SHTF situation. That way, when you bug out, you have a destination. Strength in numbers, and if we go back 150 years when the grid goes, will be more manual labor to be done, so most places would be happy to have the help.
I'm still trying to network for others like us. Most want a second piece of property, but this idea makes alot more sense.

That's simple in a way. I drive a little over an hour each day, just to get to work, and then a little over an hour again, to get home.
I just passed on a job that was about 70% more pay. The job was a construction super., right up my alley, but was 1.25hrs from home. It just didn't make sense to me at this stage in my life, and with my wife sick I need to be close for now. I guess I'm just not as hungry as I was most of my life. My priorities have changed alot over the last ten years. Spoiling my dog, raising chickens and rabbits, gardening, etc. are all higher on the list now.

My priorities have changed alot over the last ten years. Spoiling my dog, raising chickens and rabbits, gardening, etc. are all higher on the list now.

I get that. Just to do that though, got to have the income. I'm hoping more and more companies start to do the remote office model. There's simply no reason at all I can't do what I do...from home, and be even more productive. I'd also be a hell of a lot happier, and have more availability, so it just doesn't make any sense at all to me.

I get that. Just to do that though, got to have the income. I'm hoping more and more companies start to do the remote office model. There's simply no reason at all I can't do what I do...from home, and be even more productive. I'd also be a hell of a lot happier, and have more availability, so it just doesn't make any sense at all to me.

In my opinion, if "tele-commuting" ever becomes a widespread reality, it will be at least 10-20 more years coming. Its not the technology that is missing, it is the "human factor" holding it back. The problem is (A) less middle managers and support staff will be needed, (B) managers do not trust employees (its a "power thing" to see all those people gathered working "under" you). I do not think it will happen in any "established" companies on a wide-spread basis. It will eventually happen though when "virtual (or "distributed" companies" become a reality.

Wishing I could have a simpler life. Lol right now I work two jobs both of them are not to far less than 15 min away

From what I have pieced together, at this stage of your life, it does not get much "simpler" than what you have now :-( If I were you, in addition to this group, I would also be a member of any "frugal living", barter, and homesteading ("google backwoods home magazine) forums. One thing that is free to you is knowledge. It is also something that nobody can ever take away from you no matter how bad things get. Collect "tips and tricks" on a local hard drive and catalog and save them. Practice them, learn them by heart.

Didn't want to go through and check, but if not mentioned yet, COUPONING! Couple this with sales, and save a lot.
Buying groceries for 5 people (and a lot of animals), we spend at least a couple of hours couponing before any big shopping trip, and comparing sales, to ensure we get the most bang for the buck. There are very few things we get that aren't buy one get one, for example, and even then, we typically have a coupon to boot, where it's buy two or more, get x $ off, etc. Also, always look at the price per oz.

Bigger sizes don't always save you more. For example, I've almost never seen it where a multipack of canned cat food is cheaper than buying by the 4 pack. You'd think you'd get a price break getting a case of 24 cans, but you don't. Same with canned dog food. By the large can, $1 a piece, yet a 12 pack costs more than $12 for the same size cans.

LGirl07, would you update us on your situation, please? Have you made any head way, and if so, what has helped you out? Do you have any advice yet for others that might find themselves in this situation?

Latest posts

Back