Hello

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am located in Mid-Missouri and looking to make connections with others whom are concerned about prepping. Someone in the Gasconade County, Osage County, Maries County area. My significant other and myself raise poultry and swine and are quite good with "gardening" on a large scale. We have the water and heat side covered in addition to knowledge of herbal remedies, first aid, & CPR. We have the guns, ammunition, bows, arrows, fletching, etc and are located in a very rural area, have a greenhouse and acreage so we have the ability to replenish as necessary. We are building up our solar energy resources.

We believe that in the event of a major catastrophe that survival will be a team sport - not suited for the lone ranger so we are looking for like-minded people to share thoughts, resources, skills, etc. I've always scoffed at the "extremists" and simply believed in not wasting.

I recently listened to a presentation by the Cole Country Sheriff whom noted a several examples of very real potential disasters. One of those scenarios was an 8.6 magnitude earthquake at the New Madrid fault. Experts agree that it has happened before and that we are over-due for it happening again. The sheriff stated that it will affect up to the New York/Canada border all the way down to New Mexico. He noted that it will knock out dams north of us and that a 90-foot wall of water will wash down the Osage River alone. He stated that emergency management officials say there will not be a bridge left standing all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. Additionally, most electricity and cell phones will be knocked out for a minimum of 2 months - probably longer. Gas lines, sewer lines, water lines will be ruptured. He stated that the government (National Guard, sheriff, police, hwy patrol and such) will immediately take control of what gasoline and food sources, etc that remain and will ration according to a rating system. He talked for approximately 1-1/2 hours, this was just one example, and his talk really got to me unlike what I've seen on television. I immediately researched quakes and the location of dams and the probability of scenarios and such which is why I am on this forum and seeking to connect with others who believe in being prepared without seeking television and recognition.

I look forward to getting to know people.

Welcome to doomsday preppers, I am a like minded person. I see you are pretty well prepared for someone in a rural area like myself.
I also agree that it is a team sport, I am lucky to have many close family, and friends onboard already.

I am located in Mid-Missouri and looking to make connections with others whom are concerned about prepping. Someone in the Gasconade County, Osage County, Maries County area. My significant other and myself raise poultry and swine and are quite good with "gardening" on a large scale. We have the water and heat side covered in addition to knowledge of herbal remedies, first aid, & CPR. We have the guns, ammunition, bows, arrows, fletching, etc and are located in a very rural area, have a greenhouse and acreage so we have the ability to replenish as necessary. We are building up our solar energy resources.

We believe that in the event of a major catastrophe that survival will be a team sport - not suited for the lone ranger so we are looking for like-minded people to share thoughts, resources, skills, etc. I've always scoffed at the "extremists" and simply believed in not wasting.

I recently listened to a presentation by the Cole Country Sheriff whom noted a several examples of very real potential disasters. One of those scenarios was an 8.6 magnitude earthquake at the New Madrid fault. Experts agree that it has happened before and that we are over-due for it happening again. The sheriff stated that it will affect up to the New York/Canada border all the way down to New Mexico. He noted that it will knock out dams north of us and that a 90-foot wall of water will wash down the Osage River alone. He stated that emergency management officials say there will not be a bridge left standing all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. Additionally, most electricity and cell phones will be knocked out for a minimum of 2 months - probably longer. Gas lines, sewer lines, water lines will be ruptured. He stated that the government (National Guard, sheriff, police, hwy patrol and such) will immediately take control of what gasoline and food sources, etc that remain and will ration according to a rating system. He talked for approximately 1-1/2 hours, this was just one example, and his talk really got to me unlike what I've seen on television. I immediately researched quakes and the location of dams and the probability of scenarios and such which is why I am on this forum and seeking to connect with others who believe in being prepared without seeking television and recognition.

I look forward to getting to know people.
Thank you for taking the time and registering at Doomsday Prepper Forums!! We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay. I live in earthquake country myself. One thing I would suggest is having a wrench for turning of the gas to your house in the event of a big earthquake to lessen the chance of fires. These wrenches can be had at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

Thanks so much Hades & Clydesdale.

Unfortunately, our family is located several states away. We have local friends whom are self-sufficient reminiscent of days-gone-by; however, they're all like I was before I heard the sheriff's presentation. Somehow that really caught my attention. I would like to have a "team" formed in advance of any potential disaster. If nothing ever happens, it still gives me a chance to make new friends:)

The wrench is a given. My significant other does fire/water restoration for a living in addition to remodeling. We've been into re-purposing items for a long time. When we built our swine farrowing house, it cost us less than $100 because the materials were all reclaimed from other jobs. My poultry is watered with re-claimed shower stalls. My greenhouse is primarily re-claimed windows/glass doors and runs the back of my 3-car garage at a depth of 12 foot.

Welcome survivalisateamsport!

not too many understand the real dangers that lurk everywhere we look.
ive seen stuff on your possable earthquake happening. scary when reality hits.

i, personally, am intrested in your "home remedies" as if SHTF in a huge way, medicines will only last a short while and we will have to revert to natural remedies once again.
maybe you could start a thread on this?

Hello V.I.P. It WAS a wake-up call for me to hear a LE official whom will be responsible for not only rescue and law-and-order but also securing staples such as food and fuel lay this all out and very possible scenarios that homeland security has everyone preparing for. Fortunately, I have a cardiac surgeon and a RN living within 3 miles of me and I already live on the highest point in my county. Unfortunately, none of my neighbors, friends see the need to prep, living with that adolescent type thinking that bad stuff only happens to other people. The good thing is that people already pull together when someone needs help and we can walk away for days of vacation leaving our doors unlocked and return home to find nothing disturbed.

I hate to admit that I'm over 50 and my father was 54 when I was born and one of the youngest of 10 kids so all my aunts, uncles, and grandmother went through the Great Depression as adults with my Grandmother being born in the 1800's. So I had already been taught a great many skills such as making clothing and curatives and preserving food, etc.

I will start a thread; however, I need to caution that just because it is "natural" doesn't mean that there might not be some risk. For instance, garlic, vitamin E, feverfew, fish oil among others are also a blood thinner - which can be great if you're at risk for blood clots - however, you need to understand dosages or you can cause someone (including yourself) to bleed to death internally if done incorrectly. Note that fruit seeds contain arsenic to some level so if you're using fruit seeds for benefits, you need to balance against the arsenic content. Garlic is also a natural antibiotic. A lot of "natural" treatments such as a boiled cabbage leaf on an abscess or wound to draw out infection lack potentially detrimental side-effects. Elderberries immediately lessen the effects of cold and flu (which can be helpful to know if we should have another swine flu epidemic such as the "Spanish Flu" that killed worldwide back in 1918.

I can certainly start a thread regarding herablism. Thanks for the suggestion and interest.

yes im very interested.
i can read about it all i want, but to learn it from people that may have actually used natural remidies, and know the do's n donts, is way more helpful for me anyway.
my grandfather was born in 1912 so ive been taught a bit (only a bit mind you) about self-sufficency as well, however, being poor as hell does that for me as well lol.

Doesn't it! LOL.

When I was little I lived with my Grandmother and aunts and uncles quite a bit as my mother was always sick. Grandma always delivered"Care baskets" filled with canned goods, mended hand-me-down clothes, etc for needy families. She had almost 10 acres planted in garden by a widower with a whole passel of kids. He would plant the acreage, tend, and harvest in return for Grandma putting up food for his family. Of course, there was much more than just Grandma and myself could consume plus area grocers would bring "potatoes with sprouts that no one was going to purchase" and such and other farmers would bring excess snap beans and all from their gardens. So Grandma drafted me into putting up food from the time that I was knee-hi to a grasshopper and using her old treadle sewing machine to mend clothing donations so that we could distribute to those families that needed it. I swore when I grew up that I would never ever ever put up ANY food ever again. Guess I haven't grown up yet - especially with today's gasoline prices going up up up and my paycheck staying the same:)

Hello V.I.P. It WAS a wake-up call for me to hear a LE official whom will be responsible for not only rescue and law-and-order but also securing staples such as food and fuel lay this all out and very possible scenarios that homeland security has everyone preparing for. Fortunately, I have a cardiac surgeon and a RN living within 3 miles of me and I already live on the highest point in my county. Unfortunately, none of my neighbors, friends see the need to prep, living with that adolescent type thinking that bad stuff only happens to other people. The good thing is that people already pull together when someone needs help and we can walk away for days of vacation leaving our doors unlocked and return home to find nothing disturbed.

I hate to admit that I'm over 50 and my father was 54 when I was born and one of the youngest of 10 kids so all my aunts, uncles, and grandmother went through the Great Depression as adults with my Grandmother being born in the 1800's. So I had already been taught a great many skills such as making clothing and curatives and preserving food, etc.

I will start a thread; however, I need to caution that just because it is "natural" doesn't mean that there might not be some risk. For instance, garlic, vitamin E, feverfew, fish oil among others are also a blood thinner - which can be great if you're at risk for blood clots - however, you need to understand dosages or you can cause someone (including yourself) to bleed to death internally if done incorrectly. Note that fruit seeds contain arsenic to some level so if you're using fruit seeds for benefits, you need to balance against the arsenic content. Garlic is also a natural antibiotic. A lot of "natural" treatments such as a boiled cabbage leaf on an abscess or wound to draw out infection lack potentially detrimental side-effects. Elderberries immediately lessen the effects of cold and flu (which can be helpful to know if we should have another swine flu epidemic such as the "Spanish Flu" that killed worldwide back in 1918.

I can certainly start a thread regarding herablism. Thanks for the suggestion and interest.
Please do start the herbalism thread! I look forward to reading and learning from it.

@survivalisateamsport,
I want to thank you, this may sound odd, but talking about your grandma, and the kind of life you grew up, made me think of mine, and the times that I hated, but now appriciate so much. I made a decision a few moments ago, I will probably not post after lunch tommarrow, my plans at this second is to go home to the mountains for the weekend, do some visiting while they are still there to see. I too was raised country mostly, hard and dirty. Southern WV. (then the chaos of WPB Florida, most winters.) man that sounds retarded, but it was my life. (grandparents in both places) I generally make every excuse I can to not go back, only 1 or 2 times a year. I havent seen anyone for almost a year this time. hmmm, yep thanksgiving last yr. hearing you speak of yesteryears made me think of mine, anyways thanks.

Survival is a team sport, yes, everyday living is a team sport too, glad you made me think about it.

Latest posts

Back