Hello

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Realistic. I'm sifting through, slowly, the forum... Trying not to ask the same questions already answered. There's some great tips on here. Looking forward to swapping ideas.

Lissy, definitely the life straw for your bug out bags. They are very good. There are a couple of systems that use 2 5 gallon buckets connected with a filter and a tap at the bottom. They either use a ceramic filter or a staged filter to clean the water. Search the site Cheaper Than Dirt, just google it. They have the 5 gallon system and if you google water filtration there are some good options that come up. Storage in 55 gallon drums is good, not sure about the pool shock, don't have any experience with that. They have drops you can use to keep the water longer but even 55 gallon drums will have to be rotated out every 16-18 months, maybe 2 years if they are in a cool dark place and you use the correct preservatives. I will get you some more in depth info later this week.

Yeah- I'm not sure about the pool shock. Doesn't seem to be safe to drink. Thanks Army; let me know what you find. I'll do the same and post what I find. I've got a list to get for this year. A good filtration system is one of them.

Thanks guys. I'll look into the life straws; Colt- if you come across that five gallon system, let me know. I'm looking for a few different options to filter water. Right now I have water purification tablets and filtered water bottles, but I need something larger to filter a lot of water. I've acquired 3 50 gallon drums to store water in. I've got a huge water source to fall back on, but I need to be able to filter it.

Here you go.

Pool Shock is good for treating water. Mastercajun can tell you a lot more about it. I know it's covered somewhere on the forum.
Good morning to all you guys and gals. You too Old_Anorak, how hell you doing? I will be trying to pick your brain about gardening. The only thing I've been able to grow is kids, granekids and great grandkids.LOL. Back to the subject of pool shock. I've been treating my water storage with it for about 3 to 4 yrs. now and have found it to be the best thing for long term water storage. I try to change the water every 1 1/2 yrs. Just tested some a while back and it was fine. I keep my long term water storage in 5gal. containers under my BOL. That way it stays out of the sun and cool. The sunlight will make water go bad faster. I use 3 tsp of pool shock for every 5 gal. and it has worked great. I use pool shock because it doesn't have all the unhealty sh*t that bleach has. I have my daughter drink it first and if she doesn't get sick, well then it's good. Just kidding. In all seriousness, pool shock is the best thing I found for preserving water for long term. We have just put the final touch on our rain water collection system. The whole system can collect 3,500 gal. You can get alot of info about water systems on youtube. If you have any questions, just ask. Im willing to help in any way I can.

Good morning to all you guys and gals. You too Old_Anorak, how hell you doing? I will be trying to pick your brain about gardening. The only thing I've been able to grow is kids, granekids and great grandkids.LOL. Back to the subject of pool shock. I've been treating my water storage with it for about 3 to 4 yrs. now and have found it to be the best thing for long term water storage. I try to change the water every 1 1/2 yrs. Just tested some a while back and it was fine. I keep my long term water storage in 5gal. containers under my BOL. That way it stays out of the sun and cool. The sunlight will make water go bad faster. I use 3 tsp of pool shock for every 5 gal. and it has worked great. I use pool shock because it doesn't have all the unhealty sh*t that bleach has. I have my daughter drink it first and if she doesn't get sick, well then it's good. Just kidding. In all seriousness, pool shock is the best thing I found for preserving water for long term. We have just put the final touch on our rain water collection system. The whole system can collect 3,500 gal. You can get alot of info about water systems on youtube. If you have any questions, just ask. Im willing to help in any way I can.
Thanks Mastercajun, glad you are with us, huge asset!!

Thanks Mastercajun, glad you are with us, huge asset!!
Well Colt, don't know about an asset because Im now just setting on my ### relaxing. I haven't had a day to relax in a long time. Im getting things ready to bring my grandson (9 yrs. old) on a survival trip for the weekend. It is good that he wants to learn survival at his age. We will be bringing only the basics. I tell you what, I've learned alot from you guys since I've been here. On the pool shock thing. That is the best thing I've found for my water supply. We've filtered water from the bayou ( to get the crud out) and used pool shock to purify it and it was as good as the water from our tap. We used the gravity feed with the sand and charcoal to filter the water and it works great.

Mastercajun, about all I can say at this point is that I'm doin'. Had this nasty migraine for a few days now.

Mastercajun, about all I can say at this point is that I'm doin'. Had this nasty migraine for a few days now.
Is there any certain thing that brings it on? My mom used to get them real bad and she went to a choropractor( how ever you spell it). He did her a world of good. I don't know if you believe in them, but maybe it would be worth a try. I know it stopped my mom's Migraines. Any way We hope you get to feeling better soon.

Excedrin Migraine cures mine fast; I keep them on me and in my preps. Pool shock? I'll try it. I've got some great tips on water filtration options. Thanks guys and gals :)

Mine are from having my head beat in while on the job a few years ago. I worked in the state's maximum security psych hospital and an inmate/patient slammed my head into a cement wall a few times. Left me permanently scrambled. So any number of things can bring one on; a bug farting two counties over or someone giving me the stinkeye. They just have to run their course and I do what I can to keep from taking it out on everyone around me.

Oh Lord, that's terrible Old_anorak... mine are brought on by stress, nothing like what you went through. I do feel your pain. When mine hit, I lose my vision, nausia, can't stand light, noise, get very sick very quick. If I get the migraine meds in me in a small window, I can avoid most of the ugly stuff. Have you tried a chiropractor? I'm not a fan of having my neck jerked around, but it did help when I went. I don't go anymore. I just can't stay still when someone's wringing my neck....

I don't know that it would help. My neck was/is fine, called it closed brain injury and another doctor called it traumatic brain injury. Meh, I don't know. All I know is that another low life scum sucker is living life on the tax payer's dime and he'll never have to answer for what he did to me.

I'm a firm believer of the good Lord's Charma..... no bad deed shall go unpunished.... he will get his... back to you: I'd try chiropractor; couldn't hurt. Have you tried anti-inflamatory remedies. Herbal remedies to try are: BlackPepper, Basil,Cardamom,Cayenne,Chamomile,Chives,Cilantro,Cinnamon,Cloves,Garlic,Ginger,Parsley,Nutmeg,Rosemary,Turmeric

I'm a firm believer of the good Lord's Charma..... no bad deed shall go unpunished.... he will get his... back to you: I'd try chiropractor; couldn't hurt. Have you tried anti-inflamatory remedies. Herbal remedies to try are: BlackPepper, Basil,Cardamom,Cayenne,Chamomile,Chives,Cilantro,Cinnamon,Cloves,Garlic,Ginger,Parsley,Nutmeg,Rosemary,Turmeric
Lissy, I knew Cayenne was good in a gumbo but I didn't know it was good for a headache.

Thank you Lissy. I use some of those on an almost daily basis now. I can't abide the taste of nutmeg however and can tolerate cinnamon in small doses only. I like pepper. Love kimchi. Eat it daily for my stomach.

Sorry Anorak, that sucks, and I feel you with the headaches. I was in a Helicopter Accident in Iraq in 2009 and have had terrible headaches ever since. I also messed up my Cervical Spine as well so the multiple surgeries on that with more to come this year haven't helped either. I just have to lay on the couch with a nice warm towel on my forehead over my eyes and ride them out. You probably do have traumatic brain injury if he did that to you, it would definitely cause it. There isn't much you can do about the headaches but go with it or try some of the new meds they have for that specific type of injury. They have learned a lot since the wars started about brain injuries and have some new treatments out there for it if you want to go that way. I find that the wam cloth and a dark quiet room is great. I just drift of and try to almost meditate if I can. Feel better

Cayenne is definitely good in gumbo :) Old_anorak: I know you and I have migraines for different reasons, but I truly am able to alleviate some of the pressure by not only eating lots of spicy foods, but taking them in pill form. Cinnamon comes in pill form. I can't explain why it works, only that when my veins in my brain constrict, the pain is unbearable. Spice expands them back out again. This helps me, but I'll research more for you and Army. See what's out there to alleviate your type of injury related migraines. I know the key is to open up your blood vessels. I have a rare kind of migraine. It's at the base of my skull and if not nipped in the bud immediately, can cause a stroke. I was driving when one hit me. I was fine one minute, blind the next doing 45 miles an hour in lunch time traffic. Anyhow.... let me see what I can dig up.

Yeah- I'm not sure about the pool shock. Doesn't seem to be safe to drink. Thanks Army; let me know what you find. I'll do the same and post what I find. I've got a list to get for this year. A good filtration system is one of them.

Pool Shock is just a concentrated form of chlorine. It basically separates the combined chlorine( that is attached to bacteria) in the water in order to sanitize. It's not any worse for you than "regular" chlorine. I don't recommend drinking it out of the bag though lol you can also buy non-chlorine shock, but I don't trust that stuff!

Latest posts

Back