Hello to all. Junebug818 here and New to Prepping.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junebug818

Reaction score
I'm an avid watcher of the show Doomsday Preppers and it has really gotten me to thinking more and more about my need to prep. I'm a retired RN and I believe in being prepared so it's time for me to get off my duff and get going. I could use any help and or suggestions on making a plan of action so I can start. I am more inclined to believe we will see the economy continue to decline and also believe in the big possibility of a biological terrorism. I feel that with my experience as a ER nurse and then with my last 18 years as a public health nurse that I could be a benefit. I have a total of 30 years as a nurse and stock piling for medical assist I could do but for the other stuff I know I'll need lots of help with. I know how to protect myself and have the means to do so. I would have to be sure I had enough provisions for myself, my son who is 29 and my daughter and son in law. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum Junebug. I think that you will find this group of people to be quite friendly and willing to help others. We cover the serious topics, but we haven't lost our senses of humor so don't be surprised if a thread takes a turn for the goofy at times.

Thank you so much. I can always use a good laugh now and then that's for sure. I look forward to any and all help. I've already been doing some heavy reading and the information is mind boggling but I get it. I look forward to learning all I can.

Welcome aboard ! Well you have protection and medical covered that's a great start, hell of a start really, me personally, I would work on food and water. I broke down my prepping needs into sections so it wasn't so overwhelming. Everyone's prep needs are different and there are a lot of good ideas here.

I'm an avid watcher of the show Doomsday Preppers and it has really gotten me to thinking more and more about my need to prep. I'm a retired RN and I believe in being prepared so it's time for me to get off my duff and get going. I could use any help and or suggestions on making a plan of action so I can start. I am more inclined to believe we will see the economy continue to decline and also believe in the big possibility of a biological terrorism. I feel that with my experience as a ER nurse and then with my last 18 years as a public health nurse that I could be a benefit. I have a total of 30 years as a nurse and stock piling for medical assist I could do but for the other stuff I know I'll need lots of help with. I know how to protect myself and have the means to do so. I would have to be sure I had enough provisions for myself, my son who is 29 and my daughter and son in law. So any suggestions would be appreciated.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Should you have any questions or need help with anything feel free to ask. The members on here are more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Welcome June Bug. Another shot gun fanatic !!! yay! make sure you got something to back that up when it runs out cause there a pain to do a quick reload on!. and a nurse too boot your off to a good start id say

Welcome aboard ! Well you have protection and medical covered that's a great start, hell of a start really, me personally, I would work on food and water. I broke down my prepping needs into sections so it wasn't so overwhelming. Everyone's prep needs are different and there are a lot of good ideas here.
Hitman I have back up that's for sure. My late husband was an avid hunter not just with a shot gun but also with a bow and arrow. I can't pull his bow but my son can and I have been wanting to get one for myself since I use to be pretty good with one in high school . I know I'm way rusty since that was a good while ago but I willing to practice. Also I have a 22 pistol and a 357 magnum with a 10 inch barrel which I can shoot well enough to hold my own. LOL Imagine my surprise when I looked at your profile and saw you are from Washington. I'm from Bath so it makes me feel better knowing there are folks in my neck of the woods taking this serious. Hope to talk with you soon and get some good ideas from you. I can't decide if I need to bug out when it all hits the fan or hanker down here at home and defend myself here since I'm in the country.

Colt thanks for the advise I'll do just that. Would it be a good idea for me to try to find folks in my areas that are prepping and maybe we work together as a group? I ask this because it's really just me and probably my son that would have to protect ourselves.

I don't know about teaching any thing to someone else since I'm so new at this. Now if you need a crash course in CPR or anything medical I'm your girl with 30 years of being an RN in the ER, Critical Care and believe it or not I've actually been an EMT just as long. LOL

You don't have to be a teacher. You have experience and shareing on this board is what's its all about. RN's are top in my book. I can't count how many times a RN saved my life. How can I say THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. I truly mean that.

Hello,

I'm a newbie here although I did just earn my "serious prepper" trophy lol but it can all seem so overwhelming so I would list the first 5 things that pop in your head that you would need in a bad situation and then start there. As far as food goes, how long do you want to eat for? some people only do a few days or months..me personally, I am preparing for a year at least. My top five are Food, Water source, Defense, Medical (I have special needs in my group), and shelter. not in any specific order! I posted in another thread but this site I think is helpful www.thesurvivalmom.com. Good luck and your medical knowledge is invaluable in these situations! Got any suture kits? =)

Hello,

I'm a newbie here although I did just earn my "serious prepper" trophy lol but it can all seem so overwhelming so I would list the first 5 things that pop in your head that you would need in a bad situation and then start there. As far as food goes, how long do you want to eat for? some people only do a few days or months..me personally, I am preparing for a year at least. My top five are Food, Water source, Defense, Medical (I have special needs in my group), and shelter. not in any specific order! I posted in another thread but this site I think is helpful www.thesurvivalmom.com. Good luck and your medical knowledge is invaluable in these situations! Got any suture kits? =)
Thanks Jeepgirl you have given me so very good tips and a better view on what I need to focus on. I plan on a food supply for at least a year after that well I'm hoping for a garden and hunting for meat between me and my son. Shelter is a big concern for me. I'm not sure if staying put and defending my home is a good idea. I'm debating on bugging out and considering a underground bunker. Money is the issue though so staying put may be my only option. As for suture kits yep I have that covered already and if I run out well light weight fishing line can do the job just as good. LOL

You don't have to be a teacher. You have experience and shareing on this board is what's its all about. RN's are top in my book. I can't count how many times a RN saved my life. How can I say THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. I truly mean that.
You just did Loomis and I feel very humbled by your remark. I remember as far back to when I was 4 years old always wanting to be a nurse and help others. I went straight from high school and did just that in 3 years. I'd be very happy to share anything that might help someone else and I mean that. I do appreciate all the wonderful help I've been receiving from so many of you out there.

I think money is always the issue. lol I would start with a plan within your home and I can tell you when you are on the right path, doors just seem to open!

Here is a suggestion. Look up on the web http://www.ready.gov/ that should give you some ideas under Build a Kit. It's a start. You can't do it all at once, just go slow but keep adding to it.
Thank you Loomis I do appreciate the time you took to send this to me. I will take a look and see what is what at the site. Sleep well my friend.

Latest posts

Back