Hello from the subs of the D!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TigerBlue

Reaction score
Hello, just joined this forum hoping to find local preppers in my area as well as to gain more knowledge and education from others.

I currently live in the suburbs of Detroit, Michigan and have been prepping for about 5 years. I'm prepping for myself, my fiancé, our 9 year old son, and 4 year old daughter.

We are concerned about civil unrest caused by an economic collapse and the effects of reaching peak oil in a metropolitan urban area.

We plan to "bug in" and defend what is ours!

In the near future we hope to meet and find a network of locals to team up with, to learn and grow with new technics and plans and hopefully someone who owns some land in a more rural area that would be willing to share their location away from the population, along with our current preps.

I currently have an extensive collection of supplies ranging from an extensive medical bag with ability to most any minor or major rescue first aid need. My fiancé is a dental assistant and we have acquired large amount of dental and medical dressings etc. ability to provide intravenous IVs and pain medications.
We have compiled large amounts of personal hygiene necessities as well.
I have a background in mechanics so I really love to make and engineer things. Lots of DIY items, tons of tools, and items that would help to repair or repurpose something.
I've also worked in retail selling technical outerwear, so our clothing selection is plentiful for both winter and summer situation if we were to lose power.
However we do need to add some sort of heating source, should something happen in the heart of winter where wearing warm clothes just isn't enough.
We have plenty of personal defense items from firearms, to crossbows, straight edge weapons etc.
My son has also taken some firearms safety and training classes to help, as well as training towards his black belt in Tae Kwon Do!

Areas that need most improvement and I hope to work on this winter is our food and water storage. We currently have about 2 months of food supplies. But need to grow and learn long term water storage.

Also with our vast supplies, I've neglected to purchase and prep "BOB" bags for us should the need arise. I hope to have this figured out by spring as well.

Well that's about the jist of it as I lie here typing away on my iPhone fingers cramped waiting for my daughter to fall asleep!!

Happy to be here, looking forward to learning lots!

PS Not my first go around with a web forum..... Used to be a moderator for a national marine aquarium site! So with that and my current occupation I have a decent understanding of basic chemistry!....okay thumbs seriously cramping now....

Hello, just joined this forum hoping to find local preppers in my area as well as to gain more knowledge and education from others.

I currently live in the suburbs of Detroit, Michigan and have been prepping for about 5 years. I'm prepping for myself, my fiancé, our 9 year old son, and 4 year old daughter.

We are concerned about civil unrest caused by an economic collapse and the effects of reaching peak oil in a metropolitan urban area.

We plan to "bug in" and defend what is ours!

In the near future we hope to meet and find a network of locals to team up with, to learn and grow with new technics and plans and hopefully someone who owns some land in a more rural area that would be willing to share their location away from the population, along with our current preps.

I currently have an extensive collection of supplies ranging from an extensive medical bag with ability to most any minor or major rescue first aid need. My fiancé is a dental assistant and we have acquired large amount of dental and medical dressings etc. ability to provide intravenous IVs and pain medications.
We have compiled large amounts of personal hygiene necessities as well.
I have a background in mechanics so I really love to make and engineer things. Lots of DIY items, tons of tools, and items that would help to repair or repurpose something.
I've also worked in retail selling technical outerwear, so our clothing selection is plentiful for both winter and summer situation if we were to lose power.
However we do need to add some sort of heating source, should something happen in the heart of winter where wearing warm clothes just isn't enough.
We have plenty of personal defense items from firearms, to crossbows, straight edge weapons etc.
My son has also taken some firearms safety and training classes to help, as well as training towards his black belt in Tae Kwon Do!

Areas that need most improvement and I hope to work on this winter is our food and water storage. We currently have about 2 months of food supplies. But need to grow and learn long term water storage.

Also with our vast supplies, I've neglected to purchase and prep "BOB" bags for us should the need arise. I hope to have this figured out by spring as well.

Well that's about the jist of it as I lie here typing away on my iPhone fingers cramped waiting for my daughter to fall asleep!!

Happy to be here, looking forward to learning lots!

PS Not my first go around with a web forum..... Used to be a moderator for a national marine aquarium site! So with that and my current occupation I have a decent understanding of basic chemistry!....okay thumbs seriously cramping now....
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Welcome!
Bugging in in Detroit??????
Good freaken luck bro!
Then again, mine is a bias opinion!
I could go on all day on why not to bug in!

We are not downtown. We live in a very affluent community NE of Detroit surrounded by free ways.
My thought is bug in hide out, let all the scum kill off each other, turn roads into parking lots.
When the dust settles if need be the we would flee.... But only if absolutely necessary.

the problem you'll have is in rovers and opportunists that begin banding together. bugging in really limits your ability to retreat and you are stuck in a siege type situation and modern homes are not designed to withstand sieges. no offense intended but when I hear the word affluent the first thing I think of is target. in a disaster even if you are well prepared (much better than I am by the sound of your post) most of your neighbors will not be and will become an extremely attractive target to opportunists and in the worst case scenario you are gonna get caught in the middle.

Your right in that everyone around me IS prey. They are old, weak and underprepared.
I feel that we would be far safer guarding and defending what is already ours than joining the rest of the sheep aimlessly roaming the roads relying on someone else to "save" us.

I due have the eventual desire to move and live a more self sustainable lifestyle in a more rural location. But for the time being...that's the plan.

Keep the opinions coming however, sometimes one needs to see from the other side in order to better make a more informed decision!
I've always took pride in being able to "think outside the box" but in this instance, I need a little help.

I am with Krime on this as usual. Bugging in in a urban or even a suburban setting can be dangerous to say the least. It would seem to me with D's financial situation and the firearms laws there that the good, law abiding preppers are best off bugging out and getting to the more rural areas in MI with the militias. I will bet good $ that the looters and moochers won't make it far there....

That just convinced me that we are making the right decision!
Why would I join the rest of wondering cattle clogging up the highways? No real destination.......
I find it highly unlikely that anyone let alone the Michigan Malitia would welcome us in.
Deffinelty "holding down the fort"

If you're going to bug in, make sure you make your place look like it's already been hit by looters. Throw trash in your yard, cheap broken furniture, spray paint graffiti, anything to make it look like it's been ransacked.

Latest posts

Back