Hello from the mid-west

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trihonda

Reaction score
Hi-ho y’all.
not new to prepping, but apparently I’ve been lurking here for a while and have yet to post anything. Figured I’d pipe up and introduce myself.

My situation? Well as far as the public world, and 85% of my neighbors are concerned, I have zero preps and will likely die off when the SHTF, just the rest of the lemmings. However, I have a well appointed network of close neighbors focused on prepping. We have shelter, food, sustainability, power, and of course security dialed in. My number one prep is my network. without a network, your chances of survival are slim imho.

looking forward to hanging out here more. Picking up tidbits of knowledge from folks who have the prepping game mastered. I’m not there quite yet, so I’ve got lots to learn.

2AA42BAD-2D74-43B7-B623-AE3A73E4215E.jpeg

recent trip to Costco for spices. All vacuum sealed up. Not sure of this will increase their longevity, but some of these spices are very odiferous and the vacu-seal appears to cut down on the smell getting out, so I’m hoping it’ll help keep the air out too.

Hi-ho y’all.
not new to prepping, but apparently I’ve been lurking here for a while and have yet to post anything. Figured I’d pipe up and introduce myself.

My situation? Well as far as the public world, and 85% of my neighbors are concerned, I have zero preps and will likely die off when the SHTF, just the rest of the lemmings. However, I have a well appointed network of close neighbors focused on prepping. We have shelter, food, sustainability, power, and of course security dialed in. My number one prep is my network. without a network, your chances of survival are slim imho.

looking forward to hanging out here more. Picking up tidbits of knowledge from folks who have the prepping game mastered. I’m not there quite yet, so I’ve got lots to learn.

View attachment 12357

recent trip to Costco for spices. All vacuum sealed up. Not sure of this will increase their longevity, but some of these spices are very odiferous and the vacu-seal appears to cut down on the smell getting out, so I’m hoping it’ll help keep the air out too.
If you are to the point of stocking spices, good for you. They will become very valuable, not only just to you. I recently purchased a portable DVD player and the means to solar charge it. How wasteful. Imagine being stuck in a fallout shelter , with grandchildren for 2 weeks, and nothing to do. It may become as important as spices.

Spices will last longer vacuum sealed. Just make sure they are not stored in a hot room.
We're not huge on having to watch a movie to be entertained, but do have the ability to do so. I prefer reading. And the grandkids like games. But mostly they like doing stuff outdoors.

Spices will last longer vacuum sealed. Just make sure they are not stored in a hot room.
We're not huge on having to watch a movie to be entertained, but do have the ability to do so. I prefer reading. And the grandkids like games. But mostly they like doing stuff outdoors.

Food Room is off site, underground, but nearby, and is a constant 55-60deg with no light. :)

I don't really have enough food, or anything else for that matter (who does)... BUT if the SHTF, I won't be freaking out. I don't live off grid (yet), so there's that...

One of my group used to live off grid, and has some legit preps. He's like a broken record.. "did I ever tell you about my off grid cabin?"... omg, he says that at least once an hour when we get together.. lol

Welcome from a top secret location only 165 people know about.

You can work on your food preps by storing rice, beans, grains to start. If you have land, start a garden and store herloom seeds. Plant a small garden and try out everything, you can plant larger crop after SHTF.

Get a chicken coop started.

A network of dedicated and trusted people is one of your greatest assests.

Welcome from a top secret location only 165 people know about.

You can work on your food preps by storing rice, beans, grains to start. If you have land, start a garden and store herloom seeds. Plant a small garden and try out everything, you can plant larger crop after SHTF.

Get a chicken coop started.

A network of dedicated and trusted people is one of your greatest assests.

plenty of chicken coops coming up for sale on the buy/sell/trade sites - with the cost of lumber & hardware pulling in something workable can be a real deal ....

We live in the burbs, so no chickens. :(.

we are situated... we have food.. but when I say “not enough”, it’s my prepping mantra... for example, The amount of guns you need (N) for SHTF is N+1... you can never have enough...

I can support my family (eating) for a minute, but if the clan starts to “grow”, it would not be enough to support multiple families for a year... this is why our neighborhood prepper group (all cops/military folks) has one main premise (aside from the members liking each other), that everyone who is privy to the groups plans, must be similarly situated with primary preps (food, etc). That way, they won’t be a drain on the rest of the group, and the group won’t have to worry about one particular member who didn’t prepare and runs out of food too early...

Welcome from from Fin,
love the the idea of a a commited group, and you , my 2 cents in this matter, are way ahead the great populus 'cause you prep,

Official welcome to the forum from one of the many Texans hanging around here. I like Rellgars suggestion of starting a garden now. It takes time to get it right and you dont want to wait till you have to depend on it especially if you have limited growing space. Was talking to my boss lady today about how many tomatoe transplants I have to go into the garden today. She asked me when was the the last time I had to buy any kind of tomato based item. . . It's literally been years. We grow, make and preserve all of our own around here.

You also may want to check with your city. Many allow chickens, but not roosters since they are the main noise makers. Chickens equal meat and eggs. . . a good investment. If chickens are not possible look into rabbits for a protein supply. They make great "pets".

Latest posts

Back