Hello from the mid-west

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Official welcome to the forum from one of the many Texans hanging around here. I like Rellgars suggestion of starting a garden now. It takes time to get it right and you dont want to wait till you have to depend on it especially if you have limited growing space. Was talking to my boss lady today about how many tomatoe transplants I have to go into the garden today. She asked me when was the the last time I had to buy any kind of tomato based item. . . It's literally been years. We grow, make and preserve all of our own around here.

You also may want to check with your city. Many allow chickens, but not roosters since they are the main noise makers. Chickens equal meat and eggs. . . a good investment. If chickens are not possible look into rabbits for a protein supply. They make great "pets".

good suggestions.. however, I don’t have a home/neighborhood where outdoor animal pens are allowed. I could have them at our remote wooded lake cabin, but it’s too far away to tend animals.

Gardens are loosely ok, but I would have a hard time convincing the wife to tear up our landscaped yard (looks like a golf course) for a veggie garden. I know how this sounds, and though part of me wants to escape into the remote woods and live off grid, with animals, gardens, etc, we have a great system of neighbors, both prepper and non prepper. Bugging in, is the primary plan, but If I had to bug out to our remote cabin, my entire prep crew is coming along. My cabin has a Deere tractor for farming, a stocked lake with tons of gills and walleye, and it’s well situated to house 3-4 families.

I might consider a raised bed, smaller garden At some point?

Latest posts

Back