Hello from Texas!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistiLoo

Reaction score
Hi all. I live just north of Dallas with my youngest kidlett.

I'm not in bug-out mode yet, but am keeping a close watch on conditions - national and state-level.

I AM in grow my own food supply mode, avoidance of GMO/Monsanto, and have an order pending a click of the mouse at My Seed Cellar. I'm searching for a current coupon code to enter. And that is how I found this site!

I look forward to some lively discussions and knowledge sharing.

MistiLoo

howdy and welcome to the forum MistiLoo...your from my neck of tha woods.i grew up in greenville.but now im a hour drive from tyler.feel free to start topics,ask questons,answer them as well..there's folks here that do thier own gardening.so they can be of there if neededand if yall do bug out,i suggest get away and stay away from all big citys.on acount thats where most folks are...

Thank you, JimLE. I would love to bug-out. However, I am not independently wealthy and must continue to work to buy necessities. I'm just waiting for the day I hit win the Lottery. LOL

Welcome to the forum. You might check your local agriculture stores or even walmart for heirloom seeds. They carry a lot of them. Heck even Dollar General carries them and they do have good germination.

Thank you old-anorak!

I've ordered online - obtain specially packed seeds that should be viable for a number of years in their packaging.

Been thinking about food storage - freezing is optimal, but if all hell breaks loose there will be no power. So, canning and drying it is.

I made sure that if power fails I can remain in my house for as long as necessary - water will eventually become a problem, of course, but I will have weeks to plan and move elsewhere. I'm at the edge of suburbia and open fields w/ rivers running through - me and mine will survive. My biggest concern is predatory neighbors finding out that I'm growing edible vegetation. I'm not growing corn or other tall things that would announce my activity. Still. All it takes is 1 person knowing.

Welcome Misty...you might look at Baker seed company. At least I think that's the name. Its where my Mennonite friends get their seeds. Its somewhere in Missouri.
Welcome to the forum..

Hi all. I live just north of Dallas with my youngest kidlett.

I'm not in bug-out mode yet, but am keeping a close watch on conditions - national and state-level.

I AM in grow my own food supply mode, avoidance of GMO/Monsanto, and have an order pending a click of the mouse at My Seed Cellar. I'm searching for a current coupon code to enter. And that is how I found this site!

I look forward to some lively discussions and knowledge sharing.

MistiLoo
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Welcome to the forum. You might check your local agriculture stores or even walmart for heirloom seeds. They carry a lot of them. Heck even Dollar General carries them and they do have good germination.
I found Heirloom seeds at Walmart this year for 99 cents a pack.

Welcome MistiLoo. You can find great tips that do not require alot of money for prepping. And please share with us what you find.

I'm too busy making lists of what I'm finding on here! LOL

How to start a fire from drier lint and other common items - Vaseline and cotton balls (who knew??)
Best first aid kit items
Best knives and hiking boots and sock types
My oldest is USAF - I wonder if she can purchase2 of those personal first aid kits for me?

This site is brilliant! I don't have time to share out while I'm still absorbing so much. I have started spreadsheets of essential must haves, wants, will make life easiers. I've rearanged all those multiple times from the posts I'm reading.

I thought I had a good beginning. I've about decided NOT.

Honestly, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. My vet brother that just got home from his 3rd deployment is lodging in my spare bedroom - which I need for storage. Storing the treasured brother is far more important for now - so hauling up and down from the attic anything that isn't temperature sensitive. I have to stop changing my mind, solidify my thoughts and plans - then place items accordingly. I'm still in the gathering info mode -

Don't let prepping overwhelm you. Its a journey, not a race. Break it down into categories: water, shelter, food, fire, security, etc.... Don't let it consume you or you will burn out. Ask a lot of questions but more importantly have a lot of fun and make some trusted friends along the way!
Before I forget, Welcome!!

Thank you both - and YES, Kenny Lee, I agree that Texas does indeed rock. :) I've moved away several times over the years but always return home again. Texas is a state of mind as much, if not more, than a geographical place on the map. I never feel "right" other places. LOL

got that right mistiloo...i moved to ohio and lived there for 4 years..had enough of it..and moved back in 2007..im happy to be home again.

My daughter and SIL moved to Texas earlier this year. Me and wifey will be going down to visit next spring. Been to Dallas once, it was a different experience. I would like to actually get out actually see the state.

jimLE, we have so many Californians moving here in the Dallas area it's insane. They come here for the better economy and job opportunities - and then bitterly complain that we aren't like California and how much better it is there. Holy hell, batman, then MOVE BACK. There's a reason Texas is in better fiscal shape than CA. Don't come here and try to make us you. We won't allow it. Gitta rope.

Yes, I've had more than a few such arguments in the past 8 years or so.

My daughter and SIL moved to Texas earlier this year. Me and wifey will be going down to visit next spring. Been to Dallas once, it was a different experience. I would like to actually get out actually see the state.

Ok now, coming to Dallas is NOT seeing Texas. There are more non-Texans here than Texans these days.

If you want to really experience Texas, go to the different regions and stay in small, locally owned hotels and such. I'll give you a list of my favorite places that sings and dances Texas.

Sandhills State Park in Monahans - when you drive down Main Street, say hi to folks for me. I grew up there.

Million Barrels State Park in Monahans - some big oil company decided to build an above ground resevoir that would hold a million barrels of crude for storage. Built this huge monstrosity. It leaked like a sieve so oil never put in. We teens drove our old cars around the bottom of it. Drank in it (shhh! don't tell my Mama!), caught horney toads in it, had tarantula fights in it, etc.

Continuing west, go see the Marfa Lights and stay up all night and if you're very lucky the lights will play for you. These lights have befuddled generations of scientists!

Then head out to Balmoreah - cold as hell springs filling a basin with the clearest, coldest water in all of Texas. Wonderful place to swim and cave dive.

Fort Davis - old US Army post and museum - you can still walk around and find arrow heads after the rains wash away layers of silt

Drive into the Davis Mountains - so beautiful and the air smells so good and fresh. THIS is where I'd like to bug out to.

Then go to the Senora Caverns - smaller than Carlsbad (in N Mex) but there are more live formations and, IMO, much prettier

Now head south and just drive around the ranch lands and look at the wildlife and stock. That stock feeds a large part of the southern US~

Keep going south for a few days (very slight exaggeration - hahaha) and you'll run into the Gulf of Mexico. There is so much to see and do in the coastal areas - deep sea fishing, bird watching in the wet-lands, etc.

Then do a u-turn back north through East Texas. Righ chere is where y'all find all them rednecks that are iconic to Texas. LOL Travel quiet and don't make no trouble and them ole boys'll leave you alone. Maybe. LOL I'm kidding. I have family in East Texas and they are the biggest hearted people you will even meet. I may bug-out to East Texas. Fertile land, plenty of room for one more, wonderful people that grew up hunting to put food on the table. Would be a great place to settle in! My aunt lives on a few acres that my MeMa & PePa (grandmother and grandfather) worked for 50 years or so.

Around Austin are some wonderful caves to explore and there are terrific camping areas. Schlitterbahn is down around there as well. I haven't been but my kids think it's the best place to go EVER.

Heading north by northwest you'll come to Fossil Rim and Dinosaur Park. Love that place! It's a great place to lay over for a couple of days of exploration.

Then come back to Dallas/Ft Worth. And you'll understand what I mean about here not being TEXAS. :D

I just spent a good month of your vacation. Hope you enjoyed the trip!

MistiLoo. . . you forgot about Luckenback, Texas! When the owners of the general store has to leave out for a few minutes, will leave a basket out so you can still pay for your items.

You are so right! Luckenback is definitely on the must see list.

Oh, and No Trees - you have to drive through it just because it's there and you have to see why it has such a funny name. Between Kermit and Odessa.

Latest posts

Back