Hello from South Africa

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am new to the prepping world even though I have been hunting african game since 2001 and spend most of my free time out in the african bush. With the gloming doomsday scenario of an economic meltdown in South Africa combined with the threat of ebola closing in on South Africa I am worried that the poor people of South Africa (mostly, if not all, black) are taking what they want - espacially from the white population. I am not a racist but rather realistic and history tends to repeat it self.

Hoping to get some insight in the inner workings of a prepper because I really feel I need to be prepared! Love to all who think about tomorrow and the DAY AFTER!

Hi from Finland and welcome to DPF. good for you to join, we live in a world that is not so nice anymore... and thinking of tomorrow is a good thing

Hi everybody,

I am new to the prepping world even though I have been hunting african game since 2001 and spend most of my free time out in the african bush. With the gloming doomsday scenario of an economic meltdown in South Africa combined with the threat of ebola closing in on South Africa I am worried that the poor people of South Africa (mostly, if not all, black) are taking what they want - espacially from the white population. I am not a racist but rather realistic and history tends to repeat it self.

Hoping to get some insight in the inner workings of a prepper because I really feel I need to be prepared! Love to all who think about tomorrow and the DAY AFTER!
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

It does make prepping life easier when the wife supports you!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Your part of the world has undergone alot of changes in the past 3 decades . There was a time when I followed it very close . Look through the topics and threads and start posting .

howdy from a texan .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quiet a few knowledgeable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replies you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed..

Hi everybody,

Welcome aboard, thanks for the introduction. Regards,

Hi everybody,

Hello and welcome when I saw the words Africa it reminded me of just this morning I saw Ebola is supposed to get worse no time to waste I would start working on your preps ASAP bc if it spreads you will not be able to get supplies in etc. Very dangerous situation going on be prepared and soon. Good luck

Welcome and thanks for joining. It's interesting to hear what's going on in the rest of the world. Sad to say it doesn't sound much different then a lot of places, it seems. This must be the 2nd or 3rd post I've read this week about people prepping due to racially motivated hostilities and drama. Ebola is no joke, either.... Its also very real. Many folks prepare for some type of pandemic, and ebola is certainly capable of bringing the mass amounts of death that some folks fear... Having ready access to intercontinental travel certainly doesn't help, and you're close enough that I would honestly think about relocation.

America is always welcoming new good folks! :america:

Welcome! Had family that lived in Swaziland for years I love hearing my cousin's British sounding accents.

Welcomed. The owners of my local firing range are ex-pats fron South Africa. Nice folks who cook some great South African-style grilled food

Welcome and thanks for joining. It's interesting to hear what's going on in the rest of the world. Sad to say it doesn't sound much different then a lot of places, it seems. This must be the 2nd or 3rd post I've read this week about people prepping due to racially motivated hostilities and drama. Ebola is no joke, either.... Its also very real. Many folks prepare for some type of pandemic, and ebola is certainly capable of bringing the mass amounts of death that some folks fear... Having ready access to intercontinental travel certainly doesn't help, and you're close enough that I would honestly think about relocation.

America is always welcoming new good folks! :america:

Thanks to everyone responding so far. Yes Ebola is a thread to reckon with - South Africa has taken steps to protect it from getting infected via air travel. Land travel is a different story - our neighbour country Mozambique for sample has NO travel restrictions into the effect areas. That is how Ebola WILL COME to South Africa. Relocation is one option - but where to?

For your info - I am actually German, immigrating to South Africa in 1995 to help to build the NEW nation (and proud to have done so!). Today I am a prepper because my positive outlook for South Africa has changed. But going back to Germany is not an option; I can see much more problems there. The United States have always been high up on my list, but it’s not easy to get in and also has its own set of problems - that’s why you are all preppers - isn't it?

Looking at the whole picture (from my point of view - of course) I still believe that South Africa is the right choice. Why - ok here are some reasons:

- good infrastructure (as long as it exists) to enable to prepare and sort of good economic outlook

- far enough away from any current war zone (DRC is closest - about 3000 miles away)

- not part of the 'ring of fire' - no volcanoes, very few earth quakes, no hurricanes and tornados, moderate but regular rainfalls and lots of land with low population

- lots of natural resources

- the right to carry a firearm for self defence and to possess (restricted amount) of hunting rifles.

- no serious terrorist attacks so far, no terrorist organisations worthwhile to mention and no imminent terrorist thread

Luckily, I choose my place of residence to be a small seaside town claiming to be the most exclusive holiday resort in the country (doesn’t mean I am part of this financial elite – just lucky enough to have my own business serving the rich and famous). This means not so much 'low life' and only a few thousand permanent folks.

I plan to bunker down in my house if the SHTF and are currently busy to change my 'tropical garden' into a fruit tree and vegetable garden. I have started to hunt for 'Biltong' - salted and air dried meat keeping for month without refrigeration - and to collect rainwater , so far 7500 litres …. oops, about 2000 gallons

The next step is to install solar power and to work on my food store (so far I got a short term store keeping 2 people fed for about 3 months).

I own a few fire arms I can use to defend myself – a 44 mag revolver, a 40 S&W Glock and a 7mm rem mag rifle – as well as all the reloading equipment needed to make my own ammo .

My vehicle – you guys from the states will love this – is a Jeep Wrangler mod 1998 4ltr 4x4 and I got an off road trailer, both are ready for bogging out (not desired but possible if required).

The only component missing are likeminded preppers in my area. I heard of South African preppers before but I have had no luck to find any of them. So if anyone here knows other South African preppers please point them my way – much appreciated!

Now you know a lot about me – thanks for taking the time reading and all the thoughts, inputs and contacts you might have.

Sunny regars - always keep a positve outlook but be prepared for anything coming your way!

I do agree that there are issues no matter where you are living. However, America as a whole is pretty sound. For now. How long that will be, no one knows. It sure looks scarier day by day... Still, thinking of having a war zone 3k miles away is shocking to most of us. We haven't had a war that close for a long time. Unless of course, you count the war we are battling along our borders. That is my biggest concern. Unchecked newcomers, as you're worried about with Mozambique.

Cheers on your good head start on a lot of new members here. Many don't know where to begin and it sounds like you have been living it for a while now. I didn't know 40S&W was a popular cartridge there. I have always known it to be popular here, but not so much overseas. Reloading kit is always a nice idea, in my opinion. I had a Jeep with that 4.0 straight six. That was a great ride. The only thing that EVER happened to it was a blown radiator hose! I ended up selling it to my brother in law with 100k on it. He drove it to 170k or so, I believe. It was still running fine when he traded it in.

In case you didn't know, there are about 1.5% of our visitors from South Africa. It looks like your country isn't far behind Germany, Canada, and Australia on our site. Thanks again for joining. I hope you're finding helpful info and interesting discussions.

Latest posts

Back