Hello from Seattle, WA

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syyle

Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Matt, and my wife and I (and our little one on the way!) live and work in/around Seattle, WA. With the little one on the way, I have become more and more concerned with providing/caring for my family in case the SHTF. I've just got that uneasy feeling in my gut that really difficult economic times are ahead in this country (USA), and I want to take action so that my family can weather the storm a bit easier.

One unique problem that we have is that my wife has a pretty severe seizure disorder that she needs really serious medication for...if the SHTF, I'm not sure what we would do without access to her meds. I'm really unsure on how to prep for something like this.

Also, to those that have had to deal with family/friends that roll their eyes at your prepping actions/mentality, how have you dealt with them? I know that I am going to get a lot of flak from my friends and family for prepping, and it's easy enough to ignore them, but at the same time I don't want to completely alienate everyone I care about. I want them to understand that I'm just worried, and for the small amount of $/work, I can alleviate some of that worry. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Anyways, take care everyone.

Hey and welcome from Scotland,
The folks closest to me know I prep and some roll their eyes, I just don't chat to them about it anymore even tho I want to scream at them YOU NEED TO PREP.
I think most folks on this site "just have that feeling" ....Something is on the way!.
I'm not sure on medical issuse such as your wifes but have you looked into natural medicines.....You never no.

howdy from a texan .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quiet a few knowledgeable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replies you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed..

might try looking into natural herbs when it comes to your wifes severe seizure disorder...might not find one that works as goods as the meds takes now...but you might find one that works good enough..

Welcome,

Lets tackle first question. I am not a person who works with herbal alternatives, but as Jim states these would be the alternative treatment in an event. I went through some of my herbal books, these are standard, but I know for a fact that St. John's Wort is a good herbal pre-treatment for seizure. Also, in reading my books, I found that evening primrose and borage have a documented history of lowering the seizure threshold. I checked the National Institute of Health and USHS library to see if their were recommendations and the three herbs identified have documented use in helping seizures. I hope this helps, as I said I don't lean to much on the herbal medications, but do keep a few as drug alternatives in my pharmacology kit. Also Jim is right, I would begin to look and see which ones would work, consult your physician of course on any herbal treatments for their input. :) Typically, herbal medications are derivatives of known drugs, so you don't want to be overdosing on items that should help stabilize your wife's medical condition, not complicate it.

As far as dealing with friends and relatives. Pretty simple, I live with my wife who does not share our views, how is that for an attention getter. She looks at my prepping as a hobby or distraction from my stress. She supports a bit of it because we live in Tornado alley, but I spend little time explaining to her tactical training, long term preps, self-sufficiency discussions because I know it will only end ugly. As for weapons, well she knows how to handle weapons because her family is engrossed in them, but she doesn't like them. I know I will get heckled by everyone here, but she has confided to me that if a starving person was hungry and it was the last piece of food, she would let them have it, over her survival. Hence, why I have to think for two in my house and rely on my team mates. As for gear, food, etc, as long as she doesn't see a $10,000 bill on the credit card, she doesn't really blink an eye. I typically sell it to her that I am tornado planning, even though right now, we are facing a long-term drought and relish a Super Cell in our area. So as I said, I keep a low, almost covert attitude toward prepping and it has served me well for 10 years now.

As for close friends, they see some of my stuff (just a bit) and I keep telling them that it is withdrawal syndrome from being in the military or latent stages of hoarders disease that allows me to stock things up. If they reengage me on the issue, than I give little hints about what I am planning in little doses, if they are interested, they will come back for more, like my dogs do when I lay out a little milk as a treat. Eventually, if they are interested in weapons, a few pieces are handed out. I then say, hey what happens if the local news broadcasted that the prison (5 miles from city center) had a massive escape and that thousands of convicts were on the loose, what would you do? I don't mention tornado's because they usually state the hated words "Government Will Provide" line. About that time, I am rolling a 50 cal round between the knuckles. The big round is just a tease, but it gets their attention. Most will then add that they are concerned about economic collapse, from that point, its like taking "candy from a baby" because the 2008 financial scare hit most of my friends. They remember that government had a ton of excuses for the aftermath. Then I state so, what are your plans if their is a financial collapse, I get varied responses, by then the discussion has become quite serious and I smile back and say, something to think about, for me I am planning and taking action.

You might want to contact Doc Pop, he has placed some Herbal medicine thread on the site that were worth noting. He might be able to offer some additional insight also. To send an email directly to him, go to the Conversation box, and type his username.

Hope this helps, and again welcome to the forum. You will find everyone is always trying to help someone here.

Regards,
Silent Bob

Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Matt, and my wife and I (and our little one on the way!) live and work in/around Seattle, WA. With the little one on the way, I have become more and more concerned with providing/caring for my family in case the SHTF. I've just got that uneasy feeling in my gut that really difficult economic times are ahead in this country (USA), and I want to take action so that my family can weather the storm a bit easier.

One unique problem that we have is that my wife has a pretty severe seizure disorder that she needs really serious medication for...if the SHTF, I'm not sure what we would do without access to her meds. I'm really unsure on how to prep for something like this.

Also, to those that have had to deal with family/friends that roll their eyes at your prepping actions/mentality, how have you dealt with them? I know that I am going to get a lot of flak from my friends and family for prepping, and it's easy enough to ignore them, but at the same time I don't want to completely alienate everyone I care about. I want them to understand that I'm just worried, and for the small amount of $/work, I can alleviate some of that worry. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Anyways, take care everyone.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Hi and a late welcome from Finland,
well I don't tell about my preps to any one,my brother has seen my food storage and I told him it's for a bad day when I'm out of money,the weapon I have is "only" for hunting,read above already a lot of good advice to you and if prepping makes you more at ease,especially when you and your wife are having a baby it's good,belive that seattle has a good chance for a quake or tsunami so it's great that you prep,keep up with it :)

Latest posts

Back