Hello from North Dakota

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11C1P

Reaction score
Hello from North Dakota! Lived in N.D. & a bit in Minn. most of my life except for 4 years in the Army and a few months of training back when I worked for the feds (ugh!) Have a 4 1/2 acre BOL in a rural area with a few buildings & water on it that I was lucky enough to get for a decent price, about 10 years ago before the oil boom started driving prices through the roof. I grew up in the country and small towns and hunting and camping & hiking were normal activities, as were reloading. gardening. Had relatives that farmed/ranched and would often spend a week or two each summer helping them. Worked L.E. for 8+ years before I was injured and now work from home. Would like to find a couple people in my area to start a small M.A.G. and as always try and learn new things.

Hello North Dakota! I would love to go to that area one day. I had a childhood friend who's grandparents lived there that he was able to visit during the summer months so I have heard some of the stories of that state. Thank you for your service in the Army! Looks like you have a good start on the land and good luck on the 'small MAG'. Lots of great people here that can answer questions you may have and we hope to learn from you too.

Welcome and thanks for joining. Please feel free to share your experiences with us as well. I'm sure you'll find some good discussions here, but there's never TOO MUCH info.

Hello from North Dakota! Lived in N.D. & a bit in Minn. most of my life except for 4 years in the Army and a few months of training back when I worked for the feds (ugh!) Have a 4 1/2 acre BOL in a rural area with a few buildings & water on it that I was lucky enough to get for a decent price, about 10 years ago before the oil boom started driving prices through the roof. I grew up in the country and small towns and hunting and camping & hiking were normal activities, as were reloading. gardening. Had relatives that farmed/ranched and would often spend a week or two each summer helping them. Worked L.E. for 8+ years before I was injured and now work from home. Would like to find a couple people in my area to start a small M.A.G. and as always try and learn new things.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

howdy from a texan .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quiet a few knowledgeable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replies you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed...

Hello from Texas. Wife is from Minot...some family still there...but too expensive to visit with oil boom and for me...way to cold for my aching bones. Good luck in your preps.

Take care

Hello from Texas. Wife is from Minot...some family still there...but too expensive to visit with oil boom and for me...way to cold for my aching bones. Good luck in your preps.

Take care

I have a lot of relatives from Minot. I was also stationed in Texas (Ft. Hood.) for about 14 months, a long time ago.

Wife's family are all Sutter's. She still has several cousins that live there, but most live outside the Twins. Brother in law lives in Bozeman, Montana (second BOL site for my team) and his wife is from Mayville. Her brothers and sisters still live in the area, mostly Grand Forks area. Of course, the wife was all about watching NDSU beat OU last night...but then we don't care much for OU, since my daughter is a Texas Tech girl.

As for Hood, well not a great place to be sent if your from North Dakota. I typically drive by Waco and never make a detour to that area. Lived there as a kids for six months in early 70's when my Dad was a First Sergeant there and one of my uncles was stationed there in the 60's and has nothing really good to say about Hood, mind you it was a lot worse...he pulled some strings and we went back to Bragg.

So at Hood, were you part of one of the Fire Brigades or part of 3rd Cav? My only experience with Army armor was during 1st Gulf War.

Take care, let me know if I can be of help to you, info wise. I'm retired Air Force, former 1T251 (that got injured on HALO jump), retrained into medical field as a 4N IDMT and 4E091. I was a Strategic National Stockpile Coordinator and planner for the state of Minnesota after I retired, moved back to Texas because the weather is nice and my wife works for a very well paying oil company. Actually, she was up in Minot for business last year. Kids are all Texan's and the daughter hates the cold. I've been into preps for about 11 years now, have extensive workings with solar power, since I contracted for the only 32 panel array in the city I live in. Its a huge monolith for the entire subdivision, lol, you can't miss it, but my electric bill is only 50$ per month in the summer and that is with the pool running all day. The other experience is that I have a nice 10x20 bunker that is our storm shelter for tornados. So am well versed in the pitfalls of building one and how to go about designing a more complex one.

Good luck and thank you for your service.

Regards,

woah,here are preppers with years and years of experience,Silent Bob did you build that bunker of concrete or cinderblocks(sorry if I spell some things wrong),

I was in 1st cav at hood, first in 3/32AR this was all during the draw down so we got re-flagged under 1/12 cav. I was in mortar platoon HHC/HHT in both battalions. That's why my name is 11C1P 11 is infantry, Charlie is mortars, 1 is EM and the Papa is for paratrooper. I liked fort hood, Kileen was a stink hole, but most military towns are. We would always go down to Austin and party on 6th street, and I think the statute of limitations has run out on everything I did there, so I can say we generally had too much fun.

Welcome. You sure will have some prepper challenges from that neck of the woods!
This web site is very informative to all level of preppers, hope you enjoy.

Jontte

Shelter was a prefab from a company that I ordered directly. They send it all on tractor trailer and with complete instructions. I hired a local welding company to put it together. Subcontracted local concrete company to dig 30 foot deep hole, base with rebar 18 inches in depth, base is 22 feet x 12 feet, structure is 10x20. The base is further reinforced by four larger corners rebar footers that were sunk another 3 feet deep. The escape hatch was extended another 12 inches per my request. I went another step by placing cinderblocks and spraying an insulation coating between the structure and the cinders. My next planned structure at my BOL is a big bigger. Since the company that I contracted with the last time, doesn't build structures as large as I plan to build, it will form the initial structure and we will add more by creating a through fair using similar plans. Ask

Since I have a very large solar panel array that feeds my home, it also ties into the back-up battery cell and feeds the structure when the power grid goes down. We lost power the other night for two hours, we were the only ones in the neighborhood with lights on. This will be an issue if the SHTF, but I have a plan to remove the panels and take them with me, the battery is moveable and my team mate is a master electrician, we plan to cut the cable and take it with. He and I have the schematics and we have enough conduit to get the solar array up at the BOL. Additionally, I've talked to my friends who are near Lubbock, Texas, where their is a considerable wind generator company at former Reese Air Force Base, they have been a wealth of information on my next renewable energy project which is to build a small wind farms on the leeward side of my BOL. I know what many people are thinking that this may be a give-away, but we have some redecorating with the props and the housing structure and they blend well with the trees in the area. A person will have to be right on it to see it.

I don't have the ability to install a wind generator at my current home because of city ordinances forbid this in the city limits.

Hope this helps.

I was in 1st cav at hood, first in 3/32AR this was all during the draw down so we got re-flagged under 1/12 cav. I was in mortar platoon HHC/HHT in both battalions. That's why my name is 11C1P 11 is infantry, Charlie is mortars, 1 is EM and the Papa is for paratrooper. I liked fort hood, Kileen was a stink hole, but most military towns are. We would always go down to Austin and party on 6th street, and I think the statute of limitations has run out on everything I did there, so I can say we generally had too much fun.

I figured that that you were a motarmen with the C. Know the P, quite well. Father was Airborne and old Special Ops and Basic Jump School at Benning, one of the first of many stops for my old job. Roger on Austin!. Have a nice weekend.

Silent Bob,thanks for the info,this is one reason I love to be here,you get the info you need and it really helps, aah,another mortarman,did that to when doing my service,loved it,got more out of my service,well it wasn't always fun running around with that gear,but def different

Latest posts

Back