Hello from Maine

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have been reading through the forum for about a week now and figured I probably should introduce myself.

First, I'd like to thank you all for your informative posts, questions & answers, etc - it has given me a lot to think about.

I haven't talked to many people about prepping, since I did this back in '99 when I was sure of issues we would have with Y2K and when it didn't happen... well, let's say that I don't want to go through that again.

I do believe that we are close to things being quite difficult, to say the least. I am prepping as much as I can for myself and my husband. Our children are all grown and out with families of their own. We are going to be prepping more as time goes on. I will explain more in later posts.

Please excuse the short post, but I am only 2 wks post surgery on both hands, so typing isn't much fun at this point.

btw, until I found this forum, I didn't realize there was a show by this name. We don't watch t.v. much and I guess that goes to prove it, lol. If I can't find shows online, I don't watch them lol. Is there a website where the show can be streamed from? :oops:

Hello all!

I have been reading through the forum for about a week now and figured I probably should introduce myself.

First, I'd like to thank you all for your informative posts, questions & answers, etc - it has given me a lot to think about.

I haven't talked to many people about prepping, since I did this back in '99 when I was sure of issues we would have with Y2K and when it didn't happen... well, let's say that I don't want to go through that again.

I do believe that we are close to things being quite difficult, to say the least. I am prepping as much as I can for myself and my husband. Our children are all grown and out with families of their own. We are going to be prepping more as time goes on. I will explain more in later posts.

Please excuse the short post, but I am only 2 wks post surgery on both hands, so typing isn't much fun at this point.

btw, until I found this forum, I didn't realize there was a show by this name. We don't watch t.v. much and I guess that goes to prove it, lol. If I can't find shows online, I don't watch them lol. Is there a website where the show can be streamed from? :oops:
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Hello all!

Welcome to the forum from south La. Us her was be tri to hap U wit ya Preps if we was can. I was saw dat u was ben from Maine. I was not ben able to liv dar. It be to damn col. One ting we was hav lik u is lobster, but ours r smaller an we was cal dem crawfish. As u was saw our brains was not work to good sum tim. All the bullsh*t aside. I want to welcome you to the forum. If there is anything you want to know, just ask. There are members here from all walks of life on here with us and are more than willing to help you. In south La. we are starting to get ready for HURRYCANE season. We say hurrycane because when there is one in the gulf we have to hurry to get ready for it. Hope your hands get better fast. IMO the first things to work on are long term food storage, water storage, and defense weapons. To me canning is the best way to store food for long term. If you can get some large containers ( 5gal. or larger) you can get some POOL SHOCK and add 3tsp of it to the containers. I have some that are about 3yrs. old and I had them tested and they are still good.

Oh wow, you all made me feel so welcome and now I can tell you what just happened...

I had quoted each and every one of you and replied in full... then hit something... and it was all gone!!! Don't even ask me if I like my new Windows8, bc the answer wouldn't be pretty, lol! :eek::eek:

I live in northern Maine (Aroostook county), which is in the heart of what was always known as "potato country", but as in many other areas of our great country, the small farmers have been driven out (I won't get into the politics of that, lol!). I'm probably as far from lobsters as the rest of you are, ha ha.

I love to knit, crochet and have been canning for years. Mostly my garden produce, along with meats, sauces, jams, etc. Canning is IMO, one of the best things anyone could do to prepare for a coming crisis.

Again, thanks for the welcome from all of you and believe me, I'll keep you all busy with some questions as soon as I can.

I look forward to getting to know you all better and learning from each other - I think that's the best thing about forums such as this, the exchange of information and sharing of knowledge!

btw, I did find some Doomsday Prepper videos on youtube and have watched many of them with hubby - who isn't as responsive to the idea of prepping as I would like. :(

I feel for you with Windows 8. I am positive that end result of what Satan squeezed from a pus pocket on his hind end. It is evil and it is here it to take over the world by making the users bask their computers in with a ball bat while singing "Crazy Train" at the top of their lungs. Or maybe that's just me.;)

Welcome, I see you do a lot of canning, we just started canning and I was hoping you could help me, whenever we can stuff be it meat, chili, sauses or what ever it seems that we get a lot of what ever is in the jars into the water, the jars seal up ok but there is a lot of cleaning to do when we pull them out of the water, we are using a pressure canner at 10lbs. of pressure for 90min. for quart jars. Is this normal? Any advice you could give would be great, thanks.

I feel for you with Windows 8. I am positive that end result of what Satan squeezed from a pus pocket on his hind end. It is evil and it is here it to take over the world by making the users bask their computers in with a ball bat while singing "Crazy Train" at the top of their lungs. Or maybe that's just me.;)

LOL! You definitely hit that one on the head!!! You have me actually chuckling out loud here - crazy train??? Now I'll be singing that in my head all day, thanks for that, LOL!!!

Welcome, I see you do a lot of canning, we just started canning and I was hoping you could help me, whenever we can stuff be it meat, chili, sauses or what ever it seems that we get a lot of what ever is in the jars into the water, the jars seal up ok but there is a lot of cleaning to do when we pull them out of the water, we are using a pressure canner at 10lbs. of pressure for 90min. for quart jars. Is this normal? Any advice you could give would be great, thanks.

Hmm... I see you're using a pressure canner, so it can't be that... I'm trying to think of what it might be. I'm assuming you mean that some of the product is escaping the jars into the water? Are you letting all the steam exhaust from the canner before putting the top on? Or maybe could the jars be too full... hmm.. (still thinking here...) I was taught to can meat at 12 lbs pressure quarts at 75 minutes and quarts at 90 minutes. I know the altitude has something to do with the amount of pressure, so you could check your altitude, also.

If I can think of anything else, I'll let you know, but I'm coming up blank at the moment on what might cause this other than what I wrote about above.

One question (and I haven't pressured canned a lot so I'm just grasping)...how much water do you have in your canner? The water should be 3 - 4 inches, not OVER the cans. In water bath canning, the water needs to be over the top of the jars but not when pressure canning...

Hmm... I see you're using a pressure canner, so it can't be that... I'm trying to think of what it might be. I'm assuming you mean that some of the product is escaping the jars into the water? Are you letting all the steam exhaust from the canner before putting the top on? Or maybe could the jars be too full... hmm.. (still thinking here...) I was taught to can meat at 12 lbs pressure quarts at 75 minutes and quarts at 90 minutes. I know the altitude has something to do with the amount of pressure, so you could check your altitude, also.

If I can think of anything else, I'll let you know, but I'm coming up blank at the moment on what might cause this other than what I wrote about above.

Yes, the product is escaping into the water not a lot just enough to make the jars greasy and stain the water, we mostly can meat, the canner I use has weights you put over the vent hole to build up pressure 5, 10, and 15lbs the book said 10lbs at my altitude for 90min for quart jars. Do you think I should step it up to 15lbs? I keep about 1" of head space in the jars. Do you think I should leave moore?

@Chicknladee the water is only about 1/2 way up the jars maybe even a little less.

Wild Man, the product is siphoning a bit. Some siphoning is normal and can be expected. Now if all of the liquid is out of your jars, you are cooling your canner way too fast. I have been canning forever and a day and the only time I really see this happen is with meat and usually pork, venison, rabbit, or beef. Chicken doesn't seem to do it as bad. Next question, are you raw packing your meat and if you are, are you adding liquid or not? If you are adding liquid to raw pack then that could also be a problem because the meat creates it's own liquids as it cans and the excess has to go somewhere.

Wild Man, the product is siphoning a bit. Some siphoning is normal and can be expected. Now if all of the liquid is out of your jars, you are cooling your canner way too fast. I have been canning forever and a day and the only time I really see this happen is with meat and usually pork, venison, rabbit, or beef. Chicken doesn't seem to do it as bad. Next question, are you raw packing your meat and if you are, are you adding liquid or not? If you are adding liquid to raw pack then that could also be a problem because the meat creates it's own liquids as it cans and the excess has to go somewhere.
There is still liquid in the jars I raw pack, the only thing I put in the jars is meat and a little canning salt. I let the canner cool on it's own, I just turn off the stove and wait till it's cool to the touch before I open it. Maybe it's normal.

Latest posts

Back