Hello from Maine

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little siphoning is normal. The only time I ever really see it is when I can meat, hardly ever see it with vegetables.

Thanks y'all I feel better about it now but I'll probablly have more questions when I start to can veggies this summer so please stand by.

Not a problem, feel free to shoot me a line whenever. Let's all hope the gardens do extra good this year!

Thanks y'all I feel better about it now but I'll probablly have more questions when I start to can veggies this summer so please stand by.
Glad you feel better. What Old_Anorak told you was right on. I haven't been caning as long as her but I know from her post that she knows her stuff. I also don't bring the pressure up to fast. I find that when I can meat, if I let the pressure build up slower, I don't have as much siphoning. Just my 2 cents.

Oh wow, you all made me feel so welcome and now I can tell you what just happened...

I had quoted each and every one of you and replied in full... then hit something... and it was all gone!!! Don't even ask me if I like my new Windows8, bc the answer wouldn't be pretty, lol! :eek::eek:

I live in northern Maine (Aroostook county), which is in the heart of what was always known as "potato country", but as in many other areas of our great country, the small farmers have been driven out (I won't get into the politics of that, lol!). I'm probably as far from lobsters as the rest of you are, ha ha.

I love to knit, crochet and have been canning for years. Mostly my garden produce, along with meats, sauces, jams, etc. Canning is IMO, one of the best things anyone could do to prepare for a coming crisis.

Again, thanks for the welcome from all of you and believe me, I'll keep you all busy with some questions as soon as I can.

I look forward to getting to know you all better and learning from each other - I think that's the best thing about forums such as this, the exchange of information and sharing of knowledge!

btw, I did find some Doomsday Prepper videos on youtube and have watched many of them with hubby - who isn't as responsive to the idea of prepping as I would like. :(
Glad to know that you have been canning for yrs. I guess the two here that I know of that have been caning for some time is Old_Anorak and myself. There olso others that are into canning. I will be getting with Old_anorak and see if we can get a canning class going for the national meet. Just glad to have you with us.

i tryed normal once,and found it boreing..so i went back to being my self..:rolleyes:
Yea JimLE I was tri dat sum tim bak butt in sout La. if u was ben normal u was jus not fit in. I was not ben able to ben wat I was not. U was not ben far to dat Grooesbeck. I was hav a granddaughter wat was liv dar. I was ben gon dar nex mont. I was mabe giv u a hollo. We was cud mabe met sum wer. U no grandkids da wlwas want sumting frum pa pa. There are also a few other members from your neck of the woods. I would be glad to get to meet you'll.

same here..id like to meet u and others from here..who knows.we might a great laugh at those who think thier normal..lol.as for me fitting in around here.(where i live) i dont see that happening in this life time.we're to diff in our ways.and what piss's folks off around here.im to stright to the point about things.i even confronted one person about a lie he told me once in a way he knows i caught him in a lie..i had fun with that..lol

p.s. welcome back

same here..id like to meet u and others from here..who knows.we might a great laugh at those who think thier normal..lol.as for me fitting in around here.(where i live) i dont see that happening in this life time.we're to diff in our ways.and what piss's folks off around here.im to stright to the point about things.i even confronted one person about a lie he told me once in a way he knows i caught him in a lie..i had fun with that..lol
Yea, there are people in the "normal world" that think they are better than every one else. They want to tell you how you should run your life, when theirs are more screwed up than yours. My thing is "don't tell me how to run my life". You and I are or the same page on that. There was only one that was perfect and they hung Him on a cross.

I've never raw packed any meat in jars. I was taught to cook it, put in some salt and a little broth and can it that way. I know that raw pack is also as good of an option, although I can't comment on how it cans up. I have had some seepage before, I think it's normal, depending upon what kind of meat you're canning.

As far as water in the canner, I put about 3" of water in there. In the jars, the meat comes to just about the shoulder of the canning jar, then with some broth, it falls about level with the bottom "rings" of the jars (where they screw on).

Glad to know that you have been canning for yrs. I guess the two here that I know of that have been caning for some time is Old_Anorak and myself. There olso others that are into canning. I will be getting with Old_anorak and see if we can get a canning class going for the national meet. Just glad to have you with us.

I didn't know there was a national meet - that's great! Not that I'd be able to attend, but it sounds fun.

I have so many questions for all of you, but also feel I can offer some valuable knowledge and help, not just canning, but other things as well. Just wish I could type more at a time, I have such a hard time doing it at all - but it will all come back with time and patience I suppose.

the thing of it is,we are in a normal world..but yet we gotta go with the flow and do our best with what we have..and in some cases folks barter for what they get..which is good as long as everyone gets what they need..

Well, hopefully we'll all be here for a while :) but if you are going stir crazy and have a spare $35 (+/-) and figured you'll be long term without use of your hands for typing you could invest in Dragon NaturallySpeaking software...supposedly it works great (although I'm sure there is a hefty learning curve)

Mainely, raw packing is nice because you don't end up with overly cooked meats and you can add the seasonings you like when you open the jar. Raw packed chicken breast makes the best chicken salad, I mean, it's slap your sister good.

Chick... Dragon Speak is nice, but it don't speak hillbilly for beans. I gave up arguing with it and gave it to a friend who lived in New Jersey, it could apparently understand yankee.

Mainely, raw packing is nice because you don't end up with overly cooked meats and you can add the seasonings you like when you open the jar. Raw packed chicken breast makes the best chicken salad, I mean, it's slap your sister good.

Chick... Dragon Speak is nice, but it don't speak hillbilly for beans. I gave up arguing with it and gave it to a friend who lived in New Jersey, it could apparently understand yankee.
U was sur be rit abot da dragon. It don comprastand coonass eder.

Well, hopefully we'll all be here for a while :) but if you are going stir crazy and have a spare $35 (+/-) and figured you'll be long term without use of your hands for typing you could invest in Dragon NaturallySpeaking software...supposedly it works great (although I'm sure there is a hefty learning curve)
That is an alternative, but I don't really have the money right now. I did buy that program back in '09 - although I'm sure they've changed it since then. I worked with it for quite a while and was ready to throw it out the window before i got done "training" it, lol. I knew it was probably me, but I didn't have the patience to continue... that was about $70 down the drain at that point in time.. woops!
I appreciate your thought, though. The doc said to just keep working with my hands/fingers, etc and I'll get it all back in time.

U was sur be rit abot da dragon. It don comprastand coonass eder.

I've never tried it any other way, but I do know it made the best chicken sandwich I had ever eaten, when i tried it for the first time.
I suppose it's all a matter of what we're used to.

Now you know what you guys did, right? I'm just going to HAVE to try raw pack now LOL! :p

4.gif
My work here is done. I would suggest that you cut the little gristly tendon thingy off of the tip of the tenderloin.

It really makes it so much easier when you've got a good deal on meat at the market or if you home butcher, you can just pack it in your jars, add a bit of salt (I sometimes will add other seasonings too) and into the canner it goes. I think the only meat you really need to cook first is ground meat. I don't much care for the texture of canned ground meat, but I do use it in casseroles.

4.gif
My work here is done. I would suggest that you cut the little gristly tendon thingy off of the tip of the tenderloin.

It really makes it so much easier when you've got a good deal on meat at the market or if you home butcher, you can just pack it in your jars, add a bit of salt (I sometimes will add other seasonings too) and into the canner it goes. I think the only meat you really need to cook first is ground meat. I don't much care for the texture of canned ground meat, but I do use it in casseroles.

It does sound easier, for sure. I don't mind the canned ground meat in soups, casseroles or sauces.

my moms been thinking of getting that dragon for her self..i need ta check into it.and if it dont cost to much.i'll get it for her

Latest posts

Back