Hello from Central Texas (just north of Austin)

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldButtoni

God Like
Reaction score
We've been prepping probably since Y2k, but most seriously the last 4 years since moving up off the TX Gulf Coast here to Central TX. We live in a medium sized city but also own rural property 1 hour away: 42 acres with a cabin, huge barn and chicken coop (no birds yet), and separate storage/workshop building. Have it fairly well setup if current events dictate we go there short or long term. Not set up for gardening yet, but we're fast getting that underway this month. Hope to get ideas and learn some new self-sufficiency skills from you prepping veterans here.

Last edited:
Hello UrbanPrep, DrHenley and Georgia Peachie. Thank you for the warm welcomes. And Danil54grl, thank you, and you be sure and stay safe down there this week with the latest storm. I sure don't miss all that hurricane prepping. Lived down there 32 years on Galveston Island and man, did the storm preps ever get old.

Welcome. I'm in the region, but mentioning Sodom is just bad manners. In these areas, water is a key asset. Rainwater collection, stock tank, find ways to hold water. And be ready to be invaded by californistani's leaving Sodom if SHTF. Even an hour away. Welcome aboard.

Sodom, that's a good one. Must remember that one. LOL We won't be in the city for the "invasion from Sodom:. Our BOL place is actually more than an hour from Sodom, and extremely remote/isolated. Service people can barely find it with instructions when we hire any work done. Under 400 people in the nearest town and you can barely even tell it's a "town". Blink on the road and you'll miss the "town". No sign of life/habitation at our 1/4 mile access lane on the county road. All we ever see on it is the occasional deer or red fox. Our access lane looks like the rear of our neighbor's property actually, and we like it that way. No mailbox, no number sign and we intentionally don't mow the vegetation/grass out at the entrance.

Last edited:
It's basically east. Sandy loam. We lease the pasture (for the Ag exemption on taxes) to a man who is the grandson of the little town's founder. He has over 100 head on a larger pasture in the area. Ours is just an overflow convenience for him when he doesn't want young heifers bred yet. Love watching them without the responsibility (other than maintaining the fence). Last year it was black Brangus; this year it is tan Brangus/Charolais mix heiffers. Here's what our cabin looks like and two of "the girls":

Attachments

• Brangus-Charolais.JPG
    Brangus-Charolais.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 20
  • Front Porch Chairs.JPG
    Front Porch Chairs.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
Hello UrbanPrep, DrHenley and Georgia Peachie. Thank you for the warm welcomes. And Danil54grl, thank you, and you be sure and stay safe down there this week with the latest storm. I sure don't miss all that hurricane prepping. Lived down there 32 years on Galveston Island and man, did the storm preps ever get old.
We have Beta rains now. Didn't flood during Harvey so I think we are safe enough. 30 miles inland by the fly of a crow. That's close enough for me, but we do own property down by Bolivar. Cabin got wiped out by Ike so we all take RVs down now.

What a shame about your cabin, @Danil54grl. Actually, you see pink Oxalis (wood sorrel) and yellow Texas Groundsel there. And thank you, @Morgan101 . I look forward to getting to know all of you better.
@Joe SA , I have a cyber friend (was co-author on her low-carb cookbook series), who is formerly from South Africa. We still correspond by email. Her husband's father was a doctor there; his mum was a nurse. My friend lives in Central America now. In my own food blog experience, back in its heyday, I had lots of recipe followers from S.A. I couldn't figure out why at first, until I made the connection with Jennifer's family and friends.

Attachments

• Texas Groundsel 'Senecio ampullaceus.JPG
    Texas Groundsel 'Senecio ampullaceus.JPG
    285.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Bee having Oxalis brunch.JPG
    Bee having Oxalis brunch.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back