Hello from central New York

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbcota25

Reaction score
Well my gf and I have grown an interest in hiking. Which in turn got me searching/collecting survival gear that fits our needs. Which lead me to growing interest in prepping. Now gf thinks I'm ridiculous but she embraces it lol. I'm currently in the NY Air National Guard, which we respond to natural disasters all over NY state. With that said my military training/experience has opened my eyes to the realality of how important it is to be prepared for anything at anytime.

Welcome from Finland,always good to prep 'cause you never know what life throws at you

howdy from a texan .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quite a few knowledgeable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replies you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed

one thing you might want to do when comes to your GF,is point out the different and definite things of where yall live.like winter storms tsunamis,hurricanes.etc etc.being prepared for things like that is the least anyone can do when it comes to preparing for anything at all..and it s great that she at least support you..

Welcome aboard, retired military and former Central New Yorker, turned Texan. Family lives in Finger Lakes and relatives live along the Northway in the Adirondacks. Attended the school on the hill, when I aspired to be a physician. I think you will enjoy the site. OBTW: What AFSC?

Regards,

Silent Bob

Welcome aboard, retired military and former Central New Yorker, turned Texan. Family lives in Finger Lakes and relatives live along the Northway in the Adirondacks. Attended the school on the hill, when I aspired to be a physician. I think you will enjoy the site. OBTW: What AFSC?

Regards,

Silent Bob

My first career was vehicle maintenence... I now work in supply... More specifically I manage my base hazmart... Supply is a huge bonus for my survival gear side of prepping :p

My first career was vehicle maintenence... I now work in supply... More specifically I manage my base hazmart... Supply is a huge bonus for my survival gear side of prepping :p[/quot

Part of the life of being in the Guard, promotion are all position based. Well at least the HAZMART job keeps you busy. As far as your job, with the draw downs, you can expect that every piece of gear will be accountable in the near future, gone are the days of loose purse strings with the end of Afghanistan and Pentagon cut-backs. We experienced the same thing in the early 80's, RIF's and you were doing a line item request with the Commander having to approve everything after it had been approved by the functional manager. I made the mistake of losing a fin on an ops training exercise off Pensacola due to heavy surf. After filling out tons of paper, yeah now you just do it on the computer, but back then, everything was carbon copy with triplets...had my pay docked for losing the item, despite functional and flight commander's explanations of rip-tide currents on report. In First Gulf War, I was assigned to a Marine unit, so everything was accounted and that included ever 5.56 round. In Afghanistan and Iraq, I can't describe the waste, but if I had a conex for everything that was lost or given away, I could have outfitted a good size unit with gear. Now I find myself buying 2d generation gear off the internet or scoring from a few sources in other states that deal with DRMO. Of course, you can't buy weapons or ammo, so that is one drawback.

Yeah everyone is being held accountable for every item they are issued... When it becomes "unservicable" they have to turn the old one in and get their unit to pay for a new one... ALL we do with them in supply is throw them in a triwall and send it to drmo when it gets full... So yeah I tend to acuire used gear every now and again :p

Yeah everyone is being held accountable for every item they are issued... When it becomes "unservicable" they have to turn the old one in and get their unit to pay for a new one... ALL we do with them in supply is throw them in a triwall and send it to drmo when it gets full... So yeah I tend to acuire used gear every now and again :p

Welcome to the forum. You big goal is to find a nice piece of land in the Adirondacks near a great water source. My uncle and aunt live not far from some great prime locations. Aunt it the real prepper...she is the big hunter. Take care and if you get a chance to eat a Hoffman's don't tell me or a real pizza, don't tell me. In Texas, the fare is BBQ, only Pizza comes from the "Hut" or Dominiooo's

Welcome to the forum. You big goal is to find a nice piece of land in the Adirondacks near a great water source. My uncle and aunt live not far from some great prime locations. Aunt it the real prepper...she is the big hunter. Take care and if you get a chance to eat a Hoffman's don't tell me or a real pizza, don't tell me. In Texas, the fare is BBQ, only Pizza comes from the "Hut" or Dominiooo's

I'll trade you my Hoffman for some Rudy's lol

I'll trade you my Hoffman for some Rudy's lol

Lol, now your talking blasphemy! You spent too much time in San Antonio...that is not true smoked Texas meat. I get do get some Hoffman's at the base commissary from time to time (helps to know the meat market manager), similar to my Nathan fix. Only thing I can't get around here is good old fashion Amish Scrapple. I usually have to have that FEDEX overnight delivery.

Well my gf and I have grown an interest in hiking. Which in turn got me searching/collecting survival gear that fits our needs. Which lead me to growing interest in prepping. Now gf thinks I'm ridiculous but she embraces it lol. I'm currently in the NY Air National Guard, which we respond to natural disasters all over NY state. With that said my military training/experience has opened my eyes to the realality of how important it is to be prepared for anything at anytime.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Hello, fellow central NYer here.
22 years retired Army National Guard, although we were working closely with you Air guys under the Noble Eagle base defense mission in 2003-2004.
Yes, being in the Guard and getting an up-close and personal view of state disasters can open your eyes to the need to prep. Before 9/11 state call ups were our biggest actual missions and I got to see the aftermath of ice storms, wind storms etc.
Be cautious about the females views. My ex thought I was downright nuts. Always said that there will never be a time when Wegmans is shut for more than a single day.
She never said much more , kept her feelings bundled up inside til one day at an extended family gathering she blew up and ranted to the entire table that she didn't want to hear any more talk about needing to prep for anything.
We're divorced now at her insistence, so she got her wish....

finding someone who either preps with you or tolerates it is great,but they don't exactly seem to be many of them

finding someone who either preps with you or tolerates it is great,but they don't exactly seem to be many of them
Women in general ( I believe ) are not willing to contemplate a scenario where the various creature comforts they enjoy have fallen by the wayside for any length of time. Who can blame them I guess. American and other industrialized nations women enjoy a level of comfort, relative equality etc compared to women in Third World nations and throughout history. Of course they don't want to contemplate losing that level of security and comfort.

that's so true my friend,it's the same here, I made a misteke in the past and screwed up a relationship with a woman that now lives in the country, I was stupid enough to never give it a thought that why not move away from this city, now later I do understand what a donkeys ### I was

Women in general ( I believe ) are not willing to contemplate a scenario where the various creature comforts they enjoy have fallen by the wayside for any length of time. Who can blame them I guess. American and other industrialized nations women enjoy a level of comfort, relative equality etc compared to women in Third World nations and throughout history. Of course they don't want to contemplate losing that level of security and comfort.

Welcome first Central New Yorker. Wegmans and P.C...both corporate...and if you live near Syracuse, when hasn't been their a time, other than Oswego that the roads along the 81 weren't closed. Not trying to put you off on your remark, but in reference to women not adapting, well I served with a lot of professional women in Iraq and Afghanistan...some facing the same challenges when we visited villages. So I wouldn't broadcast that too loud in the forum. I think their are a few posters here that I know that would not take to kindly to that reference. One who is a friend who works 7 days a week on a working farm and works harder than most men (including me). A few others in this forum have skillsets that few men have in surviving and could handle themselves quite well when the SHTF.

yup,you are so right Bob,it was no intention to offend any ladys here on this forum,if I have : I apologize.
honestly have that feeling that alot of lady preppers here would ;as they say kick ###,in this case mine, like the lady that eventually moved to the country side, well one makes sometimes very bad decisions and this was one blunder I made

yup,you are so right Bob,it was no intention to offend any ladys here on this forum,if I have : I apologize.
honestly have that feeling that alot of lady preppers here would ;as they say kick ###,in this case mine, like the lady that eventually moved to the country side, well one makes sometimes very bad decisions and this was one blunder I made
'

No need, just advising...my wife while she doesn't like to get involved in prepping, can sure shoot the crap out of a target. Her daddy taught her...showed me up on the range one day....always watch out for the quiet one in the corner. Daughter...same, she doesn't like to handle them, but when she's on the range...she has no problems following though with what she has been taught. I am sure, they can handle themselves quite well...they just don't want to focus on it too much.

that I have learnt, the loud is mostly not dangerous,but the quiet one...make the quiet one angry, you better run and run fast

My wife understood the need for prepping when I first talked to her about it. She just accepts it right now. What really got to her was when people she works with started talking about some of the stuff I have been talking about for awhile. Her whole thing is she doesn't want to really think about it.

Latest posts

Back