hello, doomsdayprepperforums.com

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mason

Banned
Reaction score
My name is Mason and I live in Florida. I joined this forum to learn new things when surviving and prepping. I play baseball and I love to fish and ride four wheelers. I am very new to prepping, and actually just starting out. Anyone have helpful tips?

Look back at some of the old threads and work your way to the newer . You will find many useful ideas and tips .

howdy from a texan .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quiet a few knowledgeable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replies you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed....

Hi and welcome to DPF from Finland, well just ask if you wanna know something and take your time to browse this forum with time,here's alot already and belive more comes

My name is Mason and I live in Florida. I joined this forum to learn new things when surviving and prepping. I play baseball and I love to fish and ride four wheelers. I am very new to prepping, and actually just starting out. Anyone have helpful tips?
Welcome...like Psalm 7 said...you can work into most of the forums and find something. Hopefully you've started working on a Bug Out Bag or Every Day Carry. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. You will find someone will be able to help you.

Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Helpful tips.

You're in FL, so probably used to doing hurricane prep. Just see this as an extension of it. Start small. No law saying you have to go all out right off the bat (and usually budgets prevent it). A lot of folks new to this aren't sure where to start. My personal advice:

1. First priority is a go bag. Some call it a BOB (Bug Out Bag) or a GHB (Get Home Bag). Basically, it should have everything you'd need to survive for 3 days (food, water (or way to purify found water), some basic meds, some basic camping gear, etc.) - You can put one together for around $50-$100, so not really a big investment, but come an emergency, your most important one, because it buys you TIME.

2. Next priority is a firearm. Simply put, if the SHTF and you don't have a gun, statistically, you are more likely to be a victim. With this, it's important to practice with it, and improve your skill with it. Many don't prioritize this, but this is MY advice, so sticking with it. Personally, I recommend having at least a pistol and a long gun. (type is really a personal choice, but I like very common ammo choices, so will be easier to find ammo).

3. Decide whether you are bugging in your home, or getting the hell out. If in a city, you really should consider bugging out to a more rural area. No matter what the disaster or event, being in a city is NOT going to be a good idea. This decision will really form the basis of all subsequent prepping.

4. Replenishable food and water. Whether bugging in, or bugging out, you'll want to identify a way of having a steady water and food supply. In FL, rain catchment works pretty well as we get a lot of it. Also a lot of fresh water sources. Food-wise, FL has game, but it is kind of scarce. However non-conventional food abounds. Wild growing fruit, snakes, frogs, birds, and of course fish are easy to get.

5. If bugging in, stock up more on things that would be hard to obtain after the SHTF if you have the above covered. Spices, cleaning supplies, medical supplies, useful electronics and batteries, tools, and other manufactured goods. Don't forget spare parts and maintenance needs for any vehicles, etc.

6. If bugging in, there are two main types of food to store: 1) Canned goods (last for about 2 to 5 years, despite what is claimed)...2) Stored dried foods (in mylar bags and sealed buckets)..items like rice, dry beans, dry corn, mashed potato flakes, dry noodles, dry cereal, flour, sugar, salt, powdered milk, powdered eggs, powdered cheese, etc.

7. Stored water. Even if good replenishable sources, good to have some stored. Personally, I use some 50 gallon drums for this, but also get cases of individual water bottles (like a 36pk) when on sale. Remember to rotate out. I typically empty and refill the drums every 4 months.

That's really the basic advice. Anything else is gravy.

Latest posts

Back