Heirloom seeds.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I prefer seeds that were grown close to me or in the same planting zone. Go to a Farmer’s Co-op close by.

Of course.
We're looking for Tomato seeds for sure. Corn would be nice.
Of course potatoes since they're easy to grow. Some watermelon would be good great and it's another easy to grow item and it's a treat.
Jalapenos for sure,another easy to grow item.
Texas has a long list of plants you can grow and we have a long growing season.
Right now we have a limited area to grow crops but when we bug out we'll have plenty of room to grow crops.
The biggest issue is the sandy soil around the BOL location. There is a lot of bottom land that would be perfect so we'd have two options.
Haul the fertile soil back to camp or plant in the bottoms. I'm kinda hesitant to plant in the bottoms for fear of people raiding the garden.

Dont take the risk of losing your crop. Bring the good soil up. Things are going to be rough for at least the first 6 months. So you have a start, pick up blueberry bushes, Hazelnut trees and plant now or put in pots.

Choose seeds that will give you more calories for your effort. Potatoes, peas and sweet potatoes. Dent corn which will keep even without electric. Summer as well as winter squash… beets and carrots to keep for non growing season. Vegetables that are essential for health such as kale and spinach. Don’t forget onions and garlic as well as some melons and pumpkins!

We've never had a problem finding heirloom seeds. We have several years worth stocked up. We also buy non-heirloom seeds because some varieties that we want aren't available.
If the day comes when heirloom seeds are no longer available we still have a lot put away. Of course we replace any that we plant.

Does anyone have a good source for heirloom seeds?
The way things are going I want a source of food I can grow myself.

Tractor Supply has some, I have even seen them at Lowe's and Home Depot. I buy mine from all over. Amazon has some heirloom sellers, especially good when looking for some hard to find things.

I would first call around to your local feed store to see if they sell seeds in bulk. You can get them at a much lower price. You would need to know what varieties are heirloom verses GMO's since I know my feed store sells both. I pick the heirlooms for the most part.

I would first call around to your local feed store to see if they sell seeds in bulk. You can get them at a much lower price. You would need to know what varieties are heirloom verses GMO's since I know my feed store sells both. I pick the heirlooms for the most part.

I have to go to Home Depot and I'll pass right by the Tractor Supply so it's an easy stop.

Growing good nutritious food is something the past 2-3 generations have forgotten about. For the safety of families and our communities, it is critical to grow a portion of your own food or at least know how to do so. We grow some of our seeds ourselves and also sell some directly from our website and can provide advice.

seed catalogues, dont buy anything marked "Hybrid" or "F1".
All heirloom seeds are hybrid, it is true they are not F1, but all seeds on the market today have been hybrid for the last 300 years,
some for thousand years.
Corn or maize was knee high grass, that was hybrided into a four to ten foot stalk of corn, so different, that botanist had to use DNA to track the mother plant down & it grows in Mexico today.
1661483338414.png

Latest posts

Back