Heat

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... I pay 6.73cents per KWH

6.73 cents per kilowatt hour is about 4.7 rubles in Russia.
----
it looks like ... It is very cheap for America, but expensive for Russia.
----
.. but it is not so. well, I will later create a Branch where to calculate the "internal purchasing power of the dollar and the ruble".
------
you will be surprised.
no "propaganda".
---
by the way, I lived in America in the late 90s ..

should we calculate "sweat and tears" into this too?
just asking.

I do.

We get electric from the grid but heat the house with wood from our own plot. I calculate my labour time/wage when doing the prep work like cutting and stacking. I also factor in my labour costs with all tasks like this to see if it better for me to do it myself or hire someone to do it for me. For a few hours of work a year chopping wood is definitely cost effective for me as I work a low wage job.

I agree having multiple options is best.

I do.

We get electric from the grid but heat the house with wood from our own plot. I calculate my labour time/wage when doing the prep work like cutting and stacking. I also factor in my labour costs with all tasks like this to see if it better for me to do it myself or hire someone to do it for me. For a few hours of work a year chopping wood is definitely cost effective for me as I work a low wage job.

I agree having multiple options is best.

Finns mainly heat urban housing with electricity.
-----
Besides..
Finland has a clear division of housing into:
- for permanent residence
- for temporary residence
they differ in laws, taxes ...
------
There is no such thing in America.
In Russia there are, but they differ from the Finnish

we rely too much on the electricity,majority thinks still, nothing will happen,there's always electricity and heat.
and the majority of new small houses built haven't a wood stove,like the old ones have, with any luck there might be a fire place ( for looks only ).
therefore, if/when I shake the city dust off my boots,the place will be older,with a wood stove as back-up, a good fire place and as a bonus I would love to have a wood burning oven too.

true, we can't live permanently in those temporary residences, our IRS will come after you if you do, in a shtf situation, no one gives a damn about those laws.

we rely too much on the electricity,majority thinks still, nothing will happen,there's always electricity and heat.
and the majority of new small houses built haven't a wood stove,like the old ones have, with any luck there might be a fire place ( for looks only ).
therefore, if/when I shake the city dust off my boots,the place will be older,with a wood stove as back-up, a good fire place and as a bonus I would love to have a wood burning oven too.

true, we can't live permanently in those temporary residences, our IRS will come after you if you do, in a shtf situation, no one gives a damn about those laws.
there is a wonderful very large Finnish real estate website.
In Finnish.
there are many interesting things.
------
unfortunately I have lost the link and cannot find it.
if you find this site, then please provide a link.

besides the heat source question you need to prep in advance to sub-divide the heated space and insulate ...

poly sheeting with thermal mass coverings like bedding & blankets and Harbor Freight moving blankets over any windows/doorways sectioning off the heated room from the remainder of the home/apartment ...

at nite you can further reduce the heat required by using a pop-up camping tent and super insulating under & around >>> secondary benefit is some personal privacy from others sharing the room ....

the pop-up tent is good benefit prep gear for bugging out - outdoors protection and privacy/security for a bug out to the local FEMA refugee facility ....

I am learning, but was wondering what everyone was going to use to heat house if we lose electricity

Besides wood... we use a free standing tent with side openings on the bed, along with winter rated sleeping bags. The small area of the tent warms up nicely with body heat alone... this allows us to bank the fire for the night saving wood, as well as not worrying about setting off the smoke alarms...on a side note, before winter sets in, fresh batteries in all smoke and CO alarms....

I have lived exclusively on wood heat for over 30 years. You need a wood burning stove with as little smog equipment on it as possible. Or, you can rip it out. You can get in insert (a wood stove to go in the fireplace) if you have a fireplace. You need a chainsaw and a pickup. If you live in a city where this is illegal, you need to move and probably should move from that blue city. Many times you can get free firewood from private parties who just want rid of a tree but mostly, you need a National Forest and a wood permit. Don't buy Gucci wood stoves. If it has no glass window at all, this is a good sign. That stove was built for heat, not looks. Once I bought a $1500.00 Norwegian wood stove. It took two hours to heat up and then barely put out any heat. I got a Chinese Vogelzang for $300.00 at the time and it worked great. Simplicity is better.

....just takes time and energy.

Nature's heater. These are good, and cheap

Best Mylar Blankets - Top Mylar Blanket Reviews 2020 - BroadReview

THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!!!!

1611346541350.png

I have lived exclusively on wood heat for over 30 years. You need a wood burning stove with as little smog equipment on it as possible. Or, you can rip it out.
If you live in a low population wooded area, the trees around you will scrub the air of all your emissions.

Latest posts

Back