Health & Hygiene Tip we should adopt now

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Earth

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
On another forum a chap from South Africa who spent 2 years studying in the UK expressed surprise that even in summer and mainly down south where biting and disease carrying insects can cause problems that so few people appear to have fly / bug screens on their doors even after decades of warnings about climate change bringing ever increased risks from semi and tropical diseases reaching the UK and being spread by insects, He mentions Malaria and Zeka but there are literally DOZENs of diseases and bacteria out there that could and probably would cause chaos if the normal public health and sanitation systems stopped working during a crisis, including unburied dead as seen laying around New Orleans for weeks after H Katrina, or just huge piles of uncollected and unburnt / buried domestic waste as seen during industrial action. Out of habit he said even when he was in Bournemouth he still used his mosquito net over his bed last summer and he never suffered mossy bites like others in his campus.

That got me thinking that WE should be using fly screens on our doors even now so as to get into the the habit and being comfortable having them around as they certainly cannot do any harm and they would certainly be essential in the summers during a crisis.
http://www.jmldirect.com/at-home/home-accessories/snap-screen-magnetised-mesh-bug-free-door-curtain/

On another forum a chap from South Africa who spent 2 years studying in the UK expressed surprise that even in summer and mainly down south where biting and disease carrying insects can cause problems that so few people appear to have fly / bug screens on their doors even after decades of warnings about climate change bringing ever increased risks from semi and tropical diseases reaching the UK and being spread by insects, He mentions Malaria and Zeka but there are literally DOZENs of diseases and bacteria out there that could and probably would cause chaos if the normal public health and sanitation systems stopped working during a crisis, including unburied dead as seen laying around New Orleans for weeks after H Katrina, or just huge piles of uncollected and unburnt / buried domestic waste as seen during industrial action. Out of habit he said even when he was in Bournemouth he still used his mosquito net over his bed last summer and he never suffered mossy bites like others in his campus.

That got me thinking that WE should be using fly screens on our doors even now so as to get into the the habit and being comfortable having them around as they certainly cannot do any harm and they would certainly be essential in the summers during a crisis.
http://www.jmldirect.com/at-home/home-accessories/snap-screen-magnetised-mesh-bug-free-door-curtain/
It's easy to go to the dr when you get a bug or problem, but during an event taking care of yourself is so much more important. Getting sick then is when you can least afford it.

You are right on the fact that we should be. . . recently added a screen door to our front porch, but in all honesty it was for a flow threw to the back.

Keeping your skin covered helps too, but is tougher to do in the summer months. Anyone know of any natural mosquito repellants that actually work? I know even mud can help, but it isn't practical to go around covered in it all the time.

Keeping your skin covered helps too, but is tougher to do in the summer months. Anyone know of any natural mosquito repellants that actually work? I know even mud can help, but it isn't practical to go around covered in it all the time.

Citronella is a scent / juice that mossies hate.

Citronella is a scent / juice that mossies hate.
Alright, citronella just got added to my list. I have a couple of the bucket candles around here somewhere, but will get a few more. I think I'll get some lotion/rub on repellant with deet in it as well. I figure the rub on will last longer on shelf storage than a spray.
On a seperate note, always proof read posts! I just about posted that I wanted feet in my lotion. :)

Be careful with DEET, it melts plastic watch bezels and the lenses in eye glasses.
I never heard that, thanks. My glasses are plastic so I will be aware now. I was sweaty while working on the trailer last night, and was aware of the mosquitos buzzing around me. They are attracted to the smell. I got bit a couple times, but had a long sleeve shirt on at least. I rarely put the repellant on my skin, prefering to spray it on my clothes. It is still pretty effective. If this zika virus, or any other gets more widespread I may rethink where to apply repellant.

I never heard that, thanks. My glasses are plastic so I will be aware now. I was sweaty while working on the trailer last night, and was aware of the mosquitos buzzing around me. They are attracted to the smell. I got bit a couple times, but had a long sleeve shirt on at least. I rarely put the repellant on my skin, prefering to spray it on my clothes. It is still pretty effective. If this zika virus, or any other gets more widespread I may rethink where to apply repellant.

Get a couple of essential oil burners and fill em with citronela essential oil, most mozzies dont want to get within a hundred yards, also save up your orange and lemon skins, grated them and scatter them around your work area.

When the Brit army first started using DEET as an anti Mozzy deterent they found the issue spectacles, and watch lenses melted or went opaque as did some respirator lenses, ear pieces for radios etc, it also screwed up spandex clothing etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEET
Effects on materials[edit]
DEET is an effective solvent,[6] and may dissolve some plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, and painted or varnished surfaces including nail polish.

Last edited:
Get a couple of essential oil burners and fill em with citronela essential oil, most mozzies dont want to get within a hundred yards, also save up your orange and lemon skins, grated them and scatter them around your work area.

When the Brit army first started using DEET as an anti Mozzy deterent they found the issue spectacles, and watch lenses melted or went opaque as did some respirator lenses, ear pieces for radios etc, it also screwed up spandex clothing etc

DEET is an effective solvent,[6] and may dissolve some plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, and painted or varnished surfaces including nail polish.
Oh yeah, makes me feel better about putting the stuff on me allready! I just ordered new glasses for me and the wife yesterday, all with the plastic lenses, so I will be much more aware now, thanks. I did read that it was the most effective mosquito repellant out there.

Not much worry on me wearing spandex at least :).

Oh yeah, makes me feel better about putting the stuff on me allready! I just ordered new glasses for me and the wife yesterday, all with the plastic lenses, so I will be much more aware now, thanks. I did read that it was the most effective mosquito repellant out there.

Had a friend in the same regiment as me who used his bandana to clean his glasses, but he had put deet on his neck and it got into the bandana, it smeared the lenses to a point it was like looking through a coating of axle grease.

Put a couple of fabric softener sheets in your shirt pocket. Keeps them away fine.

Here in FL, we always have mosquito issues, so yeah, never any open doors or windows (and full use of AC). Good thought for post SHTF though. All my windows have screens where they open. (though I do need to repair one of them).

Here in FL, we always have mosquito issues, so yeah, never any open doors or windows (and full use of AC). Good thought for post SHTF though. All my windows have screens where they open. (though I do need to repair one of them).

Yeah in FLA we have mosquito issues, we aint bothered about 20 ft long gaitors, 30 ft long Anacondas or Burmese python, we aint bothered about 400 pound wild hog boars but we is bothered bout mossies :) :) :) Doncha just lurve Floridian sense of perspective :)

Latest posts

Back