Hay

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastenerWesterner

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Besides the ridiculous price, last load I got was supposed to be 1st cutting of Orchard grass. Smells great, but it is really dry.
I started to think this through, If the first cutting is this dry- there isn’t going to be much of a 2nd or 3rd cut.
My advice to all that need hay, get it early. Glad I bought a bigger trailer now. I can’t go to alfalfa, I could go to oat if I could find it and then have to deal with the rodents.
@Arcticdude, I know you probably use Alfalfa, same should apply.
Others that maybe interested- @rainingcatzanddogs , @Danil54grl

Besides the ridiculous price, last load I got was supposed to be 1st cutting of Orchard grass. Smells great, but it is really dry.
I started to think this through, If the first cutting is this dry- there isn’t going to be much of a 2nd or 3rd cut.
My advice to all that need hay, get it early. Glad I bought a bigger trailer now. I can’t go to alfalfa, I could go to oat if I could find it and then have to deal with the rodents.
@Arcticdude, I know you probably use Alfalfa, same should apply.
Others that maybe interested- @rainingcatzanddogs , @Danil54grl
I generally feed only good quality grass hay from irrigated fields. During hay shortages I've fed oat hay and trichacalia hay. Beef cattle do fine on it all. Even with my draft horses I only fed grass hay, alfalfa would tend to make them too hot. Barley makes good hay too. Years ago I've had to go to Canada, Oregon and Washington to find hay, much of it was of questionable quality.

Because Alfalfa is a legume, my ponies from an island where they eat salt grass would not do well. i understand why you want Orchard for the draft. I had been thinking more for the cattle you were going to finish. I dont Get many choices unless I drive 50 one way

We use fertilized and weeded coastal hay for our horses. They don't get feed, except the 28 year old, she needs it. In the winter they each get a flake or two of alfalfa twice a day but, they rarely wear coats and only get put in the stalls in really wet cold. We have mostly quarter horses or QH crosses with one non gaited Tennessee walker but he stays fat on air.

My property at BOL 2, according to soil samples should be one of the rare places in Texas that is good for growing Alfalfa. I just bought a couple of pounds of seed, planning on giving it a try and see how it does.

Latest posts

Back