Hardtack anyone?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny Lee

Reaction score
In the other thread about flour and it going bad got me thinking about... HARDTACK! Anyone ever make it or eat it? I imagine the old civil war stories about how nasty they got but if we make it ourselves and store it properly it should be good right?

Going to make a batch this weekend and take pictures. The question is... how can I improve upon the old formula to add protein to it, or fiber.

What is the best way to store it you think? I am worried about mold in particular. Think maybe putting it in a metal container and heating it up in the oven would kill any mold for long term storage or would the moisture inside condense? Any ideas? I am new and pulling this out of my ###. Was thinking canning with hard tack as well?

sailors called them sea biscuits , seems like plenty of moisture on those old ships , man ,i bet those had mold.........but they were probably worried more about scurvy in those days . jeepgirl used some vacum storage bags , maybe that would work

Latest posts

Back