Hand held weapons?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok gonna throw this in the mix. A belt. A simple belt can be an effective weapon.
Even a set of car keys.
At home: forget mace. It's expensive and will affect you to in a closed room.
Instead, go to the dollar store and buy a can of wasp/hornet killer. Not only does it shoot about 20 feet. It's also flammable. Teehee!

i deffently like that..lol

just thought..if ya go to the spray paint section in dollor genral.you can find one of things you can put onto the spray can that keeps ya from getting spray paint on your finger tip.that might be a help when it comes to keeping flame from ya as well.pluse it might give ya a better reach as well..especilly if you use a long stem lighter

Personally I wouldn't use a closet dowel for a staff, I know I would crack that in half with my first swing if I connected properly, at that point it would be a nice pointy stabby stick and would be okay if I was only fighting one person. Yeah, my quarterstaff is a nice Chinese waxwood. Not only is the closet dowel too brittle, waxwood got a good bend and whip to it, so it will resist snapping, plus gives it a good whipping energy that can snap bone. Also in certain circumstances if you block it, it might still whip towards your head or face :)

Personally, I like mace. I have used it and been sprayed 3 times with it. One thing to remember if you use a product like hornet spray or other chemicals there is the possibility of a lawsuit. I know it sounds stupid but it can happen. You may cause permanent unintended harm by use of an unknown product not made for that intended use. I gave small maces to my wife, kids and extended female family members for XMAS.

I just bought a nice set of throwing knives. nicely weighted, double edged and very sharp.

They'll be on my belt if SHTF that's for sure.

Machete and a tomahawk are a must!! Any opinions on a good all around tomahawk that won't break the bank?
I have the Smith and Wesson tomahawk I like it, it's one solid piece of steel, no handle to brake
imagesCAQLN96P.jpg

Speaking of canes, my father used to have an old cane that had a 3-sided dagger in it.

a good fighting tomahawk is a nice to have thing. Personally, I'd want a distance weapon, even if it doesn't shoot. My arm reach isn't that great and I want to avoid contact whenever possible. All the hand to hand skills I know can never counter luck.

My opinion I think the Monkey Fist make a
Monkey fist.jpg
great hand held weapon, they are used by are Military and Law Enforcement, I have made one for everyone in my family, also make them for my Survival Group for Christmas with a Survival Bracelet, Made with 550 Paracord, and a hard object 2oz ball bearing, rock, dice, whatever will work to put in the basket.

There are many websites that sell them, you can get them at the flea market, also you can look them up on youtube to make your own.

Illegal In most states!! Legally defined as a sap or black jack in most states.

My opinion I think the Monkey Fist make aView attachment 1340 great hand held weapon, they are used by are Military and Law Enforcement, I have made one for everyone in my family, also make them for my Survival Group for Christmas with a Survival Bracelet, Made with 550 Paracord, and a hard object 2oz ball bearing, rock, dice, whatever will work to put in the basket.
There are many websites that sell them, you can get them at the flea market, also you can look them up on youtube to make your own.

I have never heard of the military using a monkey fist. I know law enforcement does not use them. One strike to the head and it could easily become a deadly force situation. The ACLU would have a field day if they did.... Don't promote false information.......

Trapper,
The Law Enforcement in my area uses them, also was told by friend of mine who was a Long Taber (Special Forses) also told when they went overseas they monkey fist also. so i'm not telling false information...

And in a SHTF event it don't matter if illegal or not, your going try to survive.

A nice length of rattan is good, I'd wrap it a few times in duct tape to keep it from splitting. Believe me, you can deliver a beating that won't be forgotten. You want the rattan to be about 1 and 1/2 inches across so you have a good solid grip on it, wrap your end in bicycle grip tape so it doesn't slip. Use it two-handed like you would a bastard sword and clean someone's clock.

Old_Anorak: Your right on the mark. After doing considerable research that was my choice. I use a cane, a rattan cane.
In the first picture are my three canes. The one to the left is a hardwood, the one in the center is a 1 1/2 inch Rattan, the the one on the end, my everyday cane is a Rattan 1 1/4 inch. They range in lenght anywhere from 33 inches (83.82 cm) to 36 inches (91.44 cm).
Personally I will take Rattan hands down. Hardwood dries out and when wrapped around a tree or a similar size person will snap; Rattan woun't.
Canes 001.JPG

In the second picture please note the crook (handle). The one on the left is 3 1/4 inches (8.25 cm), the one in the middle is 4 inches (10.46 cm) and the same for the one on the end (right). Reason for the wide crook is that will fit around someones neck or ankle, the 3 1/4 inch is a bit harder to do.
Canes 002.JPG

VERY IMPORTANT: Anytime you ALTER the INTENDED DESIGN of a CANE it is considered by LAW INFORCEMENT to be a LETHAL WEAPON ! THAT IS THE LAW !! Any you can get arrested.
But Rattan is my choice hands down, and as old_anorak has said "Believe me, you can deliver a beating that won't be forgotten".
I wonder how we know that. [Don't answer that]

Trapper,
The Law Enforcement in my area uses them, also was told by friend of mine who was a Long Taber (Special Forses) also told when they went overseas they monkey fist also. so i'm not telling false information...

And in a SHTF event it don't matter if illegal or not, your going try to survive.
Can you provide information to prove the use in the US by LE? I was at a gun show and a guy was selling monkey fists also saying LE and military special forces used them. The guy got his ### chewed by several soldiers for promoting that lie. LEOs go through a lot of training and recerifications for weapons they use. I cant find any training info. I even researched on the internet and could not find anything to support your claims. I said nothing if they are legal or not. They are nothing more than a cool factor toy. 18 inches of chain would make a better weapon in reality. I just call BS when I see it.

Latest posts

Back