Ham radio

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got the CB base station set up and running, another President set up and running. I still have another CB but do not have the right mic with a totally different connector with 6 pins and the others have only 4. Gotta get it up also. I can have the base in the workshop, one in the car and the last one 5 miles away with my best german neighbor. I think the last one has a signal booster on top of it and a so-called antenna parallel connector with a sticker on it "100 watts" I do not know if it produces and boosts to 100 watts or is just protected up to 100 watts.

I've been a ham for 26 years and aside from the fact it can be great emergency communications, it's FUN ! I collect QSL cards (have about 4500 so far) have gotten my " Worked all States " on voice and Morse code and have contacted about 37 countries. I can get as far as New Zealand and Australia and I'm using an antenna I built myself for about $30.00. The local clubs here are filled with super good people and I've met lots of friends because of ham radio. It's a REALL fun hobby !!. Kids as young as 6 years old get their license. As a side note. QTH.com is a great place to look for equipment--I got a lot of mine from there. For new gear, it's hard to beat Ham Radio Outlet. Also if you're ever interested, I have plans with pictures of the HF antenna I've been using to go worldwide for 25 years. I can e-mail or snail mail them free.
Welcome from WB4FDG

I've been a ham for 26 years and aside from the fact it can be great emergency communications, it's FUN ! I collect QSL cards (have about 4500 so far) have gotten my " Worked all States " on voice and Morse code and have contacted about 37 countries. I can get as far as New Zealand and Australia and I'm using an antenna I built myself for about $30.00. The local clubs here are filled with super good people and I've met lots of friends because of ham radio. It's a REALL fun hobby !!. Kids as young as 6 years old get their license. As a side note. QTH.com is a great place to look for equipment--I got a lot of mine from there. For new gear, it's hard to beat Ham Radio Outlet. Also if you're ever interested, I have plans with pictures of the HF antenna I've been using to go worldwide for 25 years. I can e-mail or snail mail them free.
The youngest grand daughter (10) been helping build a field day go box for when she pass her ham test and we just finished her first nvis antenna

Attachments

• kayleigh's field day box (1) - Copy.jpg
    kayleigh's field day box (1) - Copy.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
The real power of amateur radio is working with others. This networking and order is what CB lacks. Yes, I own a CB radio and when I turn it on the filth and profanity over whelm me. Too bad all that could not be harnessed for something good. The first amateur radio license is easy, we have had grade school kids pass the test.

The real power of amateur radio is working with others. This networking and order is what CB lacks. Yes, I own a CB radio and when I turn it on the filth and profanity over whelm me. Too bad all that could not be harnessed for something good. The first amateur radio license is easy, we have had grade school kids pass the test.
You're right. I have MANY friends I've never met, but friends through Ham radio. We also exchange ideas and through the local club, if I need anything, I can call on them. And it's DEFINATELY a family hobby if you want it to be. The filth of CB is NOT there. KB0SNE

Last edited:
I am new to Ham radio . I have my base station up and operational . However I don't have my license yet so
I just sit back browse and say nothing . When my prepper site work load diminishes in a month or so , I plan to study the Ham test book that I have and make a try for the license . A concern that I have though listening to some of the stuff on the radio , conclude they talk goofy . Why don't they talk like a normal person would talk ? Maybe that is the way people talk these days , as I don't leave the Ozark Hills very often .

I am new to Ham radio . I have my base station up and operational . However I don't have my license yet so
I just sit back browse and say nothing . When my prepper site work load diminishes in a month or so , I plan to study the Ham test book that I have and make a try for the license . A concern that I have though listening to some of the stuff on the radio , conclude they talk goofy . Why don't they talk like a normal person would talk ? Maybe that is the way people talk these days , as I don't leave the Ozark Hills very often .
I've been a ham for 14 years and everyone I talk to , talk just like they would if you met them in WalMart. Goofy how ?

I've been a ham for 14 years and everyone I talk to , talk just like they would if you met them in WalMart. Goofy how ?
I am not trying to belittle anyone and perhaps it is me that talks funny . I actually did have a guy to walk around the town of Salmon Idaho hunting for me , just to hear me talk , as he had already run into my wife down the street and found her so humors that he wanted to hear what I sounded like . Actually a group of folks gathered around my wife just to get her to talk and listen to her accent .

Last edited:
I am not trying to belittle anyone and perhaps it is me that talks funny . I actually did have a guy to walk around the town of Salmon Idaho hunting for me , just to hear me talk , as he had already run into my wife down the street and found her so humors that he wanted to hear what I sounded like . Actually a group of folks gathered around my wife just to get her to talk and listen to her accent .
I know an Irish gal like that. Her accent is so thick you really have to listen to understand her. She's a JOY to listen to.

When you study for your ham lisc you will learn what the GOOFY talk is!!

QTH - location
QSY - change frequency
QRN - natural interfearance
QRM - Manmade interfearance
some of the more common abrevations

A question or two on a Ham radio set up . I pick up all over the United States and occasionally beyond but many transmissions I hear or not clear and some are clear and was wondering if my set up could be improved . Are those garbled transmissions I hear coming from mobile units or weak stations or perhaps it is my station " 300 watt " My antenna sets on my metal roof which the roof is over 300 foot in the air facing one direction , as the house sits on the edge of a cliff . The antenna appears to be made to be not grounded as it has insulators separating the antenna from the supporting pipe . As of now though I ran a wire from my metal roof to the antenna thinking it might help transmit and receive and utilize the entire roof . -- I ran a ground wire from the antenna to a ground rod but that seemed to make things worse so for now it remains ungrounded .

Something else that I have been trying to figure out - My radio has channels one through forty with a red lite C on the channel viewer and then when I punch the Manuel button , it goes to channels with six digits that also occasionally I find transmissions . Why is this ?

Something else that I have been trying to figure out - My radio has channels one through forty with a red lite C on the channel viewer and then when I punch the Manuel button , it goes to channels with six digits that also occasionally I find transmissions . Why is this ?
What radio and antenna are you using?

Sounds like you are using a CB radio. Amateur radio operators use uppersideband above 10 mhz. and lower sideband below 10 mhz. A ground wire from the radio to earth ground should not extend more than 1/4 wavelength. What kind of radio are you using and what is your SWR reading accross the band.

radio is a ranger RCI-2995 DX CF -- AM/ FM /SSB/CW 10 &12 meter --- antenna is a 20 meter vertical antenna overall capable height 17 feet according to my Manuel the antenna can be used for 20 meters , 17 meters , 15 meters and 12 meters To be more specific the antenna is from Comteck systems with the numbers com-20VA -- I know my SWR is not that good , right now it is over 4 and my needle isn't actually reaching the set area for the SWR --- I too have wondered if those channels 1 through 40 or CB and perhaps the 6 digit stations HAM .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back