Ham Radio

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Tiger

Reaction score
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Thank you, interesting place!

Very well said!

Thanks Clydesdale, there is a hope...even if we are nearing an end, of sorts. Whether you believe we are nearing the end of mankinds run here in Earth, or whether you simply believe the destructive financial policy has doomed the US Dollar (and make no mistake, with the reckless spending we have committed to in the last 12 years alone, those in power are treating the dollar as if it cannot be retrieved)...there just isn't any way for anyone with even the slightest understanding of finance...to conclude anythjng other than: this current system is going to continue eroding - our paycheck's are shrinking, while "things" cost more and more.

I am expected to be a good steward. That means I have to prepare for the "season" that is coming. I wouldn't dare to stand in my bare feet in a few inches of snow and laugh at people wearing boots! No, if I find myself in snow, I know I best be lookin' for some boots!

with regard to radio communications I am studying for my hamm radio license!

Hey, we're on the same wavelength (sorry, couldn't resist)! I take my exam this coming Saturday! I feel pretty good about my Technician & General...but studying fir the Extra class is still giving me fits!

...then again, I never was a "math guy"...

Are you using a radio of some sort at this time?

No, I have not been working any frequencies...however; I do have a radio...and she's a vintage beaut! A friend of mine has been "elmering" me along and suggested a Ten Tec Omni D with a digital power supply. I have researched antennas, power, bought equipment. I have the equipment that would allow me to listen - and I'm putting it together to be able to do that...it takes some time to do it right...

...so I'm a license away from having this very essential prep, covered!

How about you?

No, I have not been working any frequencies...however; I do have a radio...and she's a vintage beaut! A friend of mine has been "elmering" me along and suggested a Ten Tec Omni D with a digital power supply. I have researched antennas, power, bought equipment. I have the equipment that would allow me to listen - and I'm putting it together to be able to do that...it takes some time to do it right...

...so I'm a license away from having this very essential prep, covered!

How about you?
I am so behind on my studies! It has been a hectic summer around my place. But then I have never been the most studious person. I do need to get busy on it though.

I found an iPhone app for the ARRL practice exam - it has some fantastic study tools and keeps track of the wrong answers (and allows you to JUST focus on the weak areas).

Aaaannnddd - since there is no longer a Morse Code requirement....

I found an iPhone app for the ARRL practice exam - it has some fantastic study tools and keeps track of the wrong answers (and allows you to JUST focus on the weak areas).

Aaaannnddd - since there is no longer a Morse Code requirement....
Thank God the Morse Code is out! I would be up a serious creek! I will look to see if there is an android version.

why would anyone NOT wanna learn morse code?
might be awesome to know. might have to revert to that post-shtf, i mean dont ham radios run off of electricity?

I am 1/2 with Krime on this one, morse code is a definite asset.
Ham radios are just like cell phones, they rely on towers (repeaters) that rely on power source. so yes communication will be different but not stopped. In simplex mode, they will work for hundreds of miles, IF there is nothing in the way , and if they had the power for thier system to run.

Other ham opperators become the repeaters, and transfer messages in all directions of open sight, of each ones personal antanas. FCC public information says there are over 755,ooo ham operaters in US. anyone with the equipment and training, will have alt. power sources. It was proven that anyone with a licence would know they need high ground for thier antanaes, and act accordingly in an emergency. one example would be

I have contemplated this being one of my weak links, we can talk to others in our group for many miles, with walkie talkies. As far as outside traffic, I would be lacking.

Yes, morse is tempting from that standpoint - I have a friend who developed a website similar to this one - specifically dealing with radios. His absolute PASSION is QRP (low power) over long distance using CW (international morse code). He ALMOST hooked me on morse code with a story about going camping and taking along his "Rock Mite" kit which runs off a battery and MAYBE produces a ,5 watt signal.

Anyway, after he sets up camp, he plugs in a wire antenna, throws it over a tree limb, unwinds a ground wire and starts tapping out some code - a few seconds later he makes contact with someone over 600 miles away!

...I can see it as a useful tool for short messages during/just after a shtf event - it just doesn't excite me right now. For me, the benefits don't YET outweigh the costs of learning code!

See, when you have an HF (High Frequency) rig like mine - my antenna is MY OWN tower. And depending on the antenna I choose - and the Internet is FULL of options - For about $150 I string up a multiband dipole antenna that can reach Vladivostok, Russia - Independence Kansas - or as close as my comms group (30 miles)...and all of this with a deep cell marine battery AND I'll be TALKING to them...not trying to figure out if what I just heard was an extra long "dot"...or an abbreviated "dash"!

...there are also other digital modes where folks use radios & computers to bounce radio signals off the moon and back down to Earth again...but for now, I'll just stick to SSB (Single Side Band) voice - THAT's what charges me up!

I am 1/2 with Krime on this one, morse code is a definite asset.
Ham radios are just like cell phones, they rely on towers (repeaters) that rely on power source. so yes communication will be different but not stopped. In simplex mode, they will work for hundreds of miles, IF there is nothing in the way , and if they had the power for thier system to run.

Other ham opperators become the repeaters, and transfer messages in all directions of open sight, of each ones personal antanas. FCC public information says there are over 755,ooo ham operaters in US. anyone with the equipment and training, will have alt. power sources. It was proven that anyone with a licence would know they need high ground for thier antanaes, and act accordingly in an emergency. one example would be

I have contemplated this being one of my weak links, we can talk to others in our group for many miles, with walkie talkies. As far as outside traffic, I would be lacking.

This is exactly why I felt drawn to ham radio - thanks for sharing that video!

Not to butt in but..........imagine yourself after your alt power source is all used up, dead battery and you have ventured in to an unknown area in a city. Someone wants what you have so you take shelter in a damaged multi story building. Your pursuers have gone so you start to make your way back down the stairs cautiously. Oops, a bad step and you fall through and find yourself trapped under debris on the second floor. You try and try but cannot get yourself free. it begins to darken outside and you get a bit concerned that you may die here because you cannot get free, you have no water or food. You fall asleep and are woken by voices. Maybe it has been days and your so weak you can't speak loud enough for anyone to hear you. Wait a minute you think to yourself, I know morse code. you struggle and get a hand free and search around in the dark. It's a small piece of metal from the staircase. The broken staircase is just to your right so you take this piece of metal and begin to tap out a message on the metal of the staircase in morse code. Luckily one of the voices you can barely hear is a war Vet who happens to know morse code. He hears the message and you are saved.
I could have gotten my point accross in less words Right? Morse code is priceless and has been used by people who have been trapped under debris after an earthquake and thier lives have been saved because they knew morse code. It's more likley in an earthquake scenerio that at least one rescuer in a group of fireman and policemen would recognise the code and if needed get someone who could understand what you were sending. when it was created it saved many lives in wars and should never be forgotten.
It's worth the time to learn and even if you may not use it someday it may save your life or someone elses.

I have a Yaesu FT-8900 quad band with a quad band mobile vertical. This radio does cross-band repeat and even though I played with it to get familiar with it's functions the only real time I used it was with the volunteer fire dept I belong to. Where I live there are many deep canyon's and this was a traffic accident with double pin ins and two red victims. Red victims are those who need medical attention ASAP or they'll die soon. Our unit radios as well as HT's were down below and had a difficult time getting radio traffic to dispatch. I 4wheeled my 4runner right up the hill, took a minute to setup the cross-band and it acted just like a repeater to relay radio traffic to dispatch so we could get a helo to our location ASAP for the red victims. I have not used this feature on any call since but I know I would never be without a radio with cross-band repeat. It is in my truck but could easily be setup on a hilltop as it has been before using batteries and solar panels. I love the radio and it's cross-band feature.

Ever heard of APRS? automatic packet reporting system. It has come along way since I started 20 years ago. it uses a radio, TNC (terminal node controller) and aPC, desktop if your operating a base station or laptop if your mobile, and a GPS which some radios now have GPS and APRS (with a TNC) incorporated in the radio. Back in mid 90's I belonged to Clovis amatuer radio pioneers (CARP) and for a time we were quite involved with APRS with Fresno County OES, RACES (radio amatuer communication emergency services) and locally the Central Valley Weather Watchers which was sponsored by KSEE 24 and Shaun boyd who has left that station. We had a small group of guys and gals who would run APRS both as mobiles and base stations. Anyone within line of sight on the same frequency running APRS could see anyone else on this network, either a base or mobile. Your position is reported via your radio and would show up on the APRS screen on your laptop or desktop. There was a funnel cloud coming down the valley along Hwy 5 near Gustine. At Gustine it turned east and with the mobiles that were out following it and inputting the position reports as to it's approximate position everyone coul;d see where this funnel cloud was. As the funnel moved east towards clovis all on this network who were running APRS could see the same as everyone else. The program saves all the input data as a track file and it can be played back so you end up with an animation of the funnels movements.
APRS can be used in many ways. PLace a system in both your vehicles and track where your truck is and goes. It is used at the Itidarod Race where all the dog sleds are tracked in this manner. The sleds in the case didn't have PC's, just a radio, TNC and GPS and with the new tachnology radios your radio with incorporated TNC, GPS and APRS is all you need for it to automatically transmit position reports back to a station with a PC and monitor. Back east where tornados are plenty, ARES (amatuer radiuo emergency services) uses APRS systems to track tornados.
The program APRS has come a long way and with newer radios with internal TNC's and GPS it's a powerful and reliable software that has helped to save lives. There are so many features and uses to it. ARES and RACES are also very great organizations associated with ham radio. They are public service groups with the focus on bringing ham radio operators and emergency services together.
I'm sure there are local ARES and RACES groups wherever you live so get your amatuer radio license and join your local ARES or RACES group. You'll be glad you did. I have been a member since 1994 and love it. It's not only fun but it's very serious business with great training and wonderful people. Once you become a licensed ham operator you'll find so many aspects to the hobby that you'll never be bored.

Where's my ham sandwich? Oops, I found it............got so hungry with you mentioning a ham sandwich I had to go make one.
My Yaesu FT-270 VHF handheld has brought up machines (repeaters) 160 miles away on 5 watts, Line-of-sight of course. Up in Kings Canyon Nat'l park there is a vista point near Cherry Gap that is approximately at 7000' or so. From that location I can see Mount Hamilton in San Jose with my telescope. I used to head up there when the "X" used to go visit her sister and with the handheld at 5 watts I could bring up the loma prieta repeater and enable the auto-patch to call her on the phone. (An auto-patch is a radio connected to a repeater controller connected to landline telephone line which allows the user to make calls from his/her radio to a landline phone or cel phone).
As you go up in frequency it takes less power to make the same line of sight trip. At a frequency of 1.2 gigahertz (1200 megahertz) the power needed would be in the milliwatt range, just a small portion of what it took at 146 megahertz.
A radio with an extended recieve range or a scanner that at least covers 30 megahertz up to 900 megahertz is a good investment. most local agencies are in this range with some limited federal agencies in there as well. A good all-mode short-wave reciever is even better as military and lot's of federal agencie's good stuff is below 30 megahertz. You can with a long wire antenna hear lot's of stuff from all around the world very easily. There are lot's of radios and scanners that can be setup very easy with a small solar panel and an average car battery.
For me a radio is a must and as modified I can connect to FRS, GMRS and recieve FM broadcasts for news. It even recieves AM airband (Airports/aircraft) and weather. When I run out of batteries in goes the rechargeable battery pack and I can hike with the small solar panel attached to the top of my backpack keeping it charged.
I wouldn't go anywhere without it.

I just thought some of y'all might be interested in a new released dual band talkie.
I just bought 4 of them on Amazon for $42 ea. transmit 136mhz-150mhz. And 440-450mhz 5watts.
Baofeng uv-5r they are very worth the money. Several YouTube videos with hams have these things rated great. I have bought a lot of ham gear in the last 40 yrs. but this tops the list.

I just thought some of y'all might be interested in a new released dual band talkie.
I just bought 4 of them on Amazon for $42 ea. transmit 136mhz-150mhz. And 440-450mhz 5watts.
Baofeng uv-5r they are very worth the money. Several YouTube videos with hams have these things rated great. I have bought a lot of ham gear in the last 40 yrs. but this tops the list.

I just bought the UV-3R, pretty sweet little rig, eh?

Yes but the 5r towers above it . At $42 you can afford lose 1 and won't care. Plus transmit out of the band could be handy.
I had a alinko way back b4 I got married. 26yrs ago. It had the cross band repeat in it . I also had the big diamond vertical . With the stacked 14 element cushcraft beams it was killer at 100'. Talked to my wife 100 miles away lots of times. "rambling ham". Sorry
These are what the Dr ordered for a local communication system. Btw I used to contest using cw all weekend years ago .love it

Hello Poseidon, ke6hnr here, great to have another Ham aboard. 25+ years under my belt as a tech and involved with ARES and OES here in sierra nevadas, central valley. I checked out that radio and at that price a few would be good for "go bags" that OES/ARES members could stuff in them for all emergencies. Have a few HT's already but one more is always good even at a 1/4 of what the others have cost me. Alinco's and Yeasu's..........Anyway, welcome aboard...................73's.

Thanks Tim , my wife of 26 yrs had to get her general as a prerequisite to marry me. Lol
Well my UV-5r just arrived. Thank you UPS... I can't say enough about them . They will cover GMRS bands for the "Hamless"
Is that a word?? Extra batteries were only $10 wow .. Battery is lithium ..expect 18hrs. They will hold charge for months if you leave them in the car or BO bag. Range is a real 4 mile that I tested , with supplied antenna.
I guess one of us should start DDP net , say 40 or 80 m. Not sure I want my call on the public forum. Would like a email Tim
.... [email protected]. That's me

Latest posts

Back