had a rude awakening this morning

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimLE

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
someone on diff site asked about tents for hikeing and camping..so i went to look for mine so i can tell the name of it,as well as the size of it.and seeing how i have some other small enough items i keep with it..i put it all into a tote.i get to my garage just to learn i had put a old computer desk in front of it.which aint good if i have to bug out fast for what ever reason(s).so now it's a matter of finding a better location to keep it for easy access..

now i ask..are you prepared for a fast bug out if needed?do you know where every thing is for a fast bug out?do you have every thing needed for buging out?i dont.so my bug out items is a work in progress..do you have a bug out location,and diffrent routes planed for getting there?is your bug out vehicale up to par?

someone on diff site asked about tents for hikeing and camping..so i went to look for mine so i can tell the name of it,as well as the size of it.and seeing how i have some other small enough items i keep with it..i put it all into a tote.i get to my garage just to learn i had put a old computer desk in front of it.which aint good if i have to bug out fast for what ever reason(s).so now it's a matter of finding a better location to keep it for easy access..

now i ask..are you prepared for a fast bug out if needed?do you know where every thing is for a fast bug out?do you have every thing needed for buging out?i dont.so my bug out items is a work in progress..do you have a bug out location,and diffrent routes planed for getting there?is your bug out vehicale up to par?
jimLE thank you for asking those questions. I am still in the work in progress part myself. We do have a B.O.L. and we have three ways to get there. But all we have is our car and bikes for now. So many things that need attention I just have to stick with my lists. I am picking up a bit on the things I have to get and need to get done. I have a strong feeling that something big is closer than before. Olympics is the true start. MARK MY WORDS!

there's always some thing to think about,do or get.and when i went looking for my camping stuff n tent.i suddenly thinking.DAMN!!!no fast bug out if i have to look for things that are needed

I keep a BOB/GHB in the truck, and it's got a pretty decent complement of supplies.
I also have kind of an EDC bag in the way of my laptop case. Not as robust as a BOB of course, but then again, my laptop case is always right by me, so ready to go.

I would like to keep more gas in my vehicle, but just so much money.

yeah.keeping plenty of gas in the vehicle is important at all times no matter the reason for climbing into it and going some where as well as bugging out

I have looked at getting tube tents for the BOBs, but wasn't really impressed with them. So I decided that rather than trying to take a regular tent, I plan on making a makeshift tent with tarps. I have several multipurpose tarps in the BOBs.

Two BOBs (long term and short term) stay at the foot of my bed...

i bought 2 tarps 2 summers ago..i put 1 into the van when i went out to get some firewood one day..it's been there ever since.and i keep the other with my camping stuff..it wouldn't be to hard to make a make shift tent.2 trees para cord and a tarp..i been thinking of a 3 person tent.on acount i figure thatd be big enough for 2 ppl and what we have with us...and if have to bug out in the van.we can sleep in the back..plenty of room there as long as we dont have to much stuff with us

Hey JimLe, thats a good point! To get my grown son into being more prepared to leave quickly I got him those large plastic storage bins frome Home Depot. The kind that look like large box with lid. Now when he comes back from camping everything goes in bins- had him label on ends and top so he can find easily. If he needed to he could still grab and go!
You can go one step further and make inventory list to keep in each bin so you dont have to dig thru everything.

Last edited:
great point getnready..like you said.label one end and the top.put certain word(s) on them.and maybe number/letter system.write down the said word and/or number on paper,with the list of said item's in each tote.this way all a person has to do.is look through the list to know which tote the said item is in.we have totes that can be seen through.and some some that cant be seen through..but labels and list can still come in handy with both types of totes..

I keep a tarp in the truck, along with bungee cords, anyhow, so it's an easy tent solution.

However, those small little dome tents are great. I've used those in really bad storms, and they've held up when other, metal frame tests collapsed on my buddies and they got soaked. I would have no trouble recommending them. They make a better shelter, but tarps are just more versatile (and easier to rig for water collection).

one more item that can of service with a tarp..tent stakes.they can be used to hold it down when it comes to the edges thats on the ground.then the para cord can be pulled snug/tight..this way you have your height and width..and maybe pile leaves/debris or what ever along the outside to keep air from coming in from that direction..

one more item that can of service with a tarp..tent stakes.they can be used to hold it down when it comes to the edges thats on the ground.then the para cord can be pulled snug/tight..this way you have your height and width..and maybe pile leaves/debris or what ever along the outside to keep air from coming in from that direction..

Dudes kind of goofy and i can't believe he would nail to his deck but this design works. I did it and it is pretty cool .

Last edited:
the bad thing about tents, they should be set up and outside soaked and dried before use to assure a better seal from rain plus on top of carrying the tent you need to also carry a tarp for underlayment so the bottom of the tent is separated from the ground, I have seen it way to many times new old cheap expensive tents leaking because they wasn't sun cured before use, its why I prefer tarps and para-cords plus it keeps the pack lighter. In an emergency you don't have time to sun cure the tent before it is used unless your in an area that doesn't rain!

i set-up my tent last thursday.left it out friday for those very reasons...mistake on my part on friday night.it came a rain storm with stong wind(s)..it not only pulled the stakes out...but it also blew my tent into a barbed wire fence..i got off easy on that part.only came across 5/6 small spots that needs patching..

P.S.gonna get longer tent stakes when i get the patches for the tent..less chances of wind doing that again..

Last edited:
I carry a GHB in my vehicle at all times. I work 140 miles from home. I also work 3 miles from my RV and drive a company car. So I can't carry my gun with me. I have buried a " cache" across the street in a public park. So I have access to a weapon in a hurry if need be.
GHB has food, map, compass, water and filtration and treating tabs, light meds, suture kit, 2 high quality " commando" knives, Swiss army knife, flint and steel, tinder, change of clothes( Cammo), back packer food( dehydrated) WW2 marine mess kit, army shelter half, quality flashlight, spare batteries, para cord 300 ft, night vision monacle( same batteries as flash light, a wrist rocket sling shot, and 10- 12 gauge 00 buck shot rounds to be used for bobby traps or if I come across a " free" shot gun along the way.
Buried I have my AK folder, 9- 30 round mags and a chest rig for ammo, a .380 pistol with holster and 6- 7 round mags and 1 box of ammo for said pistol. All this in a burial vault from cheaper than dirt and sealed in armory grade plastic storage bags.
Hope I never need it. But if I do..........

My partner-Seven-Keeps putting all kind of stuff in our garage and I'm always going mad at him "What if tshtf u dumb @##". But he keeps doing it!
So I got a 2 man tent for me and my kid and told him good luck with his, lol.

I've still got a lot of prep to do, I'm good for a fast bug out of small preps but not the big ones, My 4x4 is off the road. Iv'e been working on a map that has locations of fresh water and food depos, food banks, warehouses that sort off thing, It also will have locations of fruit trees and natural food sources. that could be a bad thing if my bag get's taken from me I know. My bug out locations are all good but I'd need an army to defend my best 1 as it's big and could hold 100 like minded folk with ease...I only have 3 in my group!. I also need to bury some preps and will be making a start on that as soon as camping season starts...next few weeks I hope. I need a new bug out bag and something for boiling water in.
Can you put metal shelves at the front off your garage?
Or some way hooking things up on the wall.

i built some shelves along one side wall in my garage when i first moved into where i live now..and yes they're full of stuff..lol..have another set of shelves in a front corner of garage its full of stuff as well..i need to rebuild the ones that along one side of garage after i go through it all to get rid of whats not needed..

i built some shelves along one side wall in my garage when i first moved into where i live now..and yes they're full of stuff..lol..have another set of shelves in a front corner of garage its full of stuff as well..i need to rebuild the ones that along one side of garage after i go through it all to get rid of whats not needed..
Then may I suggest you build a bigger garage lol.

Latest posts

Back