Gunshot Wound Treatment

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was ask out a week or so ago to help give some medical/trauma instructions to a group of like minded folks.

This needs to hit home!

As it was put by Warriorhealer22 , " Anything done in the field will not fix the problem! Surgery will!" I explained that a torso hit that penetrates they whether they are bleeding out, tension/hemo pneumothorax, die from sepsis, and or shock! In a grid down scenario a penetrating wound has a high % of morbidity. Not to mention the amount of VERY VERY PRECIOUS MEDICAL SUPPLIES AND DRUGS. A extremity hit is more survivable, then what if it hits a bone. Unless you have a surgeon or someone with a awesome knowledge of A&P the body systems and a good working of surgery, well I hope you get it. It is better to be unseen, an avoid contact if at all possible.
Good luck, be safe, and God bless!

Thank I know i'll need a lot of luck . In the piney wood i do have a green forest cameo suit. Not much of medical to speak of around here. Mostly P.A. or bottom feeder doctor. The vet I trust he operates 3 times a week. Done a nice job on my hound dog found her with left crushed leg. He remove at the shoulder. Best doctor around here.

Two thirds of Civil War soldiers killed died of disease , not wounds. The most common surgery at that time was (of course ) amputation.

Last edited:
Two thirds of Civil War soldiers killed died of disease , not wounds. The most common surgery was (of course ) amputation.
Those days was something else as we may return to them without medical care or the antibiotics. Again silver can come in handy bacteria cannot live in its presence. Please read up on its healing powers it may just save you or a love one.

I'm aware of the controversial healing properties of silver ....and some controversial adverse reactions to same..........but realistically , in a true WTSHTF situation...................... If one has a GSW to the chest/ abdomen.........that one would be better off with a GSW to the head.

I'm aware of the controversial healing properties of silver ....and some controversial adverse reactions to same..........but realistically , in a true WTSHTF situation...................... If one has a GSW to the chest/ abdomen.........that one would be better off with a GSW to the head.
If your gut shot and on your own you might last three days if your lucky. Silver good for infections & burns keeping milk . I used it to get rid of skin cancer its works.

By: Yanni A., Et Al,
Wiki How
March 2, 2012

Gunshot wounds are one of the most traumatic injuries you can suffer. It's difficult to assess the extent of damage done by a gunshot wound, and most of them far exceed what you can reasonably treat with first aid. For this reason, the best option for most bullet wounds is to get the victim to a hospital as soon as possible. However, this article will provide some guidance on what you can do to stabilize the victim in the meantime.

1. Call for emergency medical assistance.

2. Make sure you are safe.
a. If the victim was shot unintentionally (e.g., while hunting), make sure that everyone's firearm is pointed away from any other person(s), cleared of ammo, safe and secured.
b. If the victim was shot in a crime, try to make sure that the shooter is no longer on the scene and that both you and the victim are safe from further injury. Wear personal protective equipment if available.

3. Do not move the victim unless you must do so to keep him safe or to access care

4. Act quickly. Time is your enemy in treating the victim. Victims who reach medical facilities during the "Golden Hour" have a much better likelihood of surviving. Try to keep your movements swift without making them frenzied.

5. Check the A, B, C, D, E's. Assess these five critical factors

a. A (Airway) – If the person is talking, their airway is probably clear. If the person is unconscious, check to make sure that his airway is not obstructed. Turn the victim's head to the side to facilitate better breathing and get the tongue out of the way. If the victim's mouth is filled with blood, try to help them remove it by coughing or quickly sop it up with a rag or piece of clothing.

b. B (Breathing) – Is the victim taking regular breaths? Can you see his or her chest rising and falling? If the victim is not breathing, sweep his or her mouth for obstructions and start rescue breathing immediately.

c. C (Circulation) – Apply pressure to any bleeding, then check the victim's pulse at the wrist or throat. Does the victim have a discernible pulse? If not, begin CPR. Control any major bleeding.

d. D (Disability/Deformity) – Disability refers to damage to the spinal cord or neck. Check to see if the victim can move hands and feet. If not, there may be an injury to the spinal cord. Deformity refers to things such as compound or obvious fractures, dislocations, or anything that looks out of place or unnatural. These injuries can be worsened by moving the victim.

e. E (Exposure) – Always look for an exit wound. Check the victim as thoroughly as possible for other wounds that you may be unaware of. Pay special attention to the armpit, buttocks or other difficult-to-see areas. Avoid completely undressing the victim before emergency help arrives as this may advance shock.

6. Control bleeding. Controlling bleeding is most important thing you can do to save a gunshot victim's life
a. Applying direct pressure is the best way to control most wounds. Use a pad over the wound and apply pressure directly to the wound. If you have nothing available, even your hand or fingers can be used to control bleeding. Add new bandages over the old; do not remove bandages when they become soaked.

b. Use pressure points in the arm (between the elbow and armpit), groin (along the bikini line), or behind the knee to control bleeding in the arm, thigh, or lower leg, respectively.

c. There is little that can be done with conventional methods if the wound involves the torso, but chemical hemostats (Quickclot, Celox, etc.) have been proven to be very effective on all major bleeds. Ensure that you follow the instructions on the package for application, though it is usually as simple as holding the wound open, pouring in the powder or inserting the powder packet/sponge/applicator, and applying strong pressure for five minutes.

d. Be prepared to treat the victim for shock. Gunshot wounds frequently lead to shock, a condition caused by trauma or loss of blood that leads to reduced blood flow throughout the body[1]. Expect that a gunshot victim will show signs of shock and treat it accordingly by making sure the victim's body temperature is as normal as possible – cover him up if his skin feels cold, or remove clothing and fan him if he's burning up. However, do not elevate the legs if the gunshot wound is to the torso, as this will increase bleeding and make it more difficult for the victim to breathe.

Special instructions for regions of the body
Head
– Gunshot wounds to the head are frequently fatal. Keep the head elevated and get the victim to a trauma center as soon as possible.

Face and neck – These wounds typically bleed severely. Use direct pressure to control bleeding and keep the victim upright. Be careful not to obstruct breathing while controlling bleeding. With injuries to the neck, be careful that blood flow to the carotid arteries isn't disrupted, as this can reduce blood flow to the brain.

Chest and back – Apply direct pressure to control bleeding; understand that it may be difficult to control chest bleeding because the ribs make it difficult to compress the structures that are bleeding. Gunshots to the chest can cause what is known as a "sucking chest wound." These happen when air travels in and out of the wound with each breath. Treat these as follows:
  • Seal wound with hand or airtight material (e.g., plastic film).
  • Apply an airtight bandage on three sides of the wound. Do not close the bandage on the fourth side. This will allow the chest to achieve its usual negative pressure state. Air will escape through the valve during inhalation.
Abdomen – Apply direct pressure to the injury site. As with the chest, controlling bleeding in these cases can be quite difficult.

Arm or legUse direct pressure to control bleeding. If you have a length of fabric or string on hand (or can tear one off clothing), make a tourniquet. Arm and leg injuries from gunshots can be elevated above the heart to help control bleeding. Use pressure points in the arm, groin, or behind the knee if direct pressure does not control bleeding (Yanni A., Et Al, for Wiki How, 2012).
Great info, hope we don't need it post shtf.

This is probably a mute point, however I have seen experienced medics get caught up in the minute and for get and go into harms way to try to help a GSW victim/buddy... Get them to render self aid, crawl, drag, hook a line to them selves. Lay down massive amounts of RDS down range to change the shooters mind and look for a less for aggressive force to shoot at. Above all if you get jacked up then there is two victims. I saw B.S.I., I did not see SEEN SAFE! This is a strong point to remember!!! After this stop bleeding, sucking chest wounds, controls the airway, keep warm, treat for shock. Listen to "Warriorhealer22", he is shooting "NO B.S.", you should pay close attention to what he is saying, or you will get behind the curve.
Good luck, be safe, and God bless!
I was an emt years ago and one thing we stressed, if you put yourself in danger once to save someone then you're a hero, if you do it often then you're a victim as well.

I was an emt years ago and one thing we stressed, if you put yourself in danger once to save someone then you're a hero, if you do it often then you're a victim as well.
I'm just trying to keep my wife & I alive when it go's south. Staying out of trouble top of the list.

Keeping a low profile is my motto in life, even in good times.
I will be overly cautious of everyone when it happens most people will have ten days two weeks of food. Cut that in half if they turn of the electric.

I will be overly cautious of everyone when it happens most people will have ten days two weeks of food. Cut that in half if they turn of the electric.
I think after two weeks people will start becoming desperate. Three and you better not be near any large populated area. I love how tv has everyone scared of zombies, it's the people left alive that you have to worry about.

I think after two weeks people will start becoming desperate. Three and you better not be near any large populated area. I love how tv has everyone scared of zombies, it's the people left alive that you have to worry about.
When it go's south I think they'll cut power they keep telling us about the grid ripe for attack. They'll bring all the chaos they can create.

Latest posts

Back