Greetings to the new Tactics Forum

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Bob

God Like
Reaction score
First wanted to say thank you for Clyde for creating this forum.

I've debated long and hard about placing information that is a very sensitive issue, so I want to place a disclaimer out for everyone to understand. I am not advocating any use of violence to settle an issue, which could be handled in a peaceful means, but because people may take action when SHTF. I think it would be prudent to just discuss ideas regarding tactics. Their is a strong possibility that we all might be facing situations that may endanger the lives of our loved ones.

I also think that this is also a great place for people to place great solutions or ideas regarding tracking or hunting wild animals. So please if you have a good idea or would like to open up a discussion, please contribute.

As it is, most of the tracking techniques I used in the military, had been passed not from a military course, but from my days with my dad just hunting wild game. Those that have military tracking experience will agree, their are some similar techniques...just my personal opinion, I think animals are better at avoiding being tracked than humans.

So to begin with this forum, I've added an interesting PDF on how to limit your visibility to Infra Red Tracking. If I have time, I plan to finish up a "How To" on how to build a Spider Hole, this pdf document takes into consideration information from modern information, documentation from both Japanese spider holes (WWII) and documents that I've gathered from the Vietnam War (Also some very interesting info on the holes in Chu Lai). If your thinking of ways to defend your BOL...a spider hole is not only going to protect you, but also give you a serious way should your position be compromised. Also if built in a layered defense, will cost your opponent in the area of attrition battle concepts. Any Vietnam vets will testify to the challenges that these very creative defensive systems can influence a battle.

Here is a sample of the information that will be included into the PDF. The use of a bamboo mat or woven carpet to keep the grass around your hole from being ruined and easy to spot.

Regards,

Attachments

• EVADINGTHERMALIMAGINGANDRADARDETECTION.pdf
    67.2 KB · Views: 36
oh yeah..im sure others will contribute.and with good points..

i dont remeber the name of the show.but i remember one show that Arnold Schwarzenegger was in,where he was having it out with a predator.he ended up covered in mud and water.and the predator didn't see him..

thank you,really good info.
now I know what to do with old vhs-tapes ;)

thank you,really good info.
now I know what to do with old vhs-tapes ;)

We actually have done the space blanket and but instead of the wool blanket we got one of those sham wow towels that was about the same size as the space blanket, dipped into ice water. We ran a simple hide and seek exercise and using the curvature of the land, we were not able to be seen and we were using pretty high end NVG's. We've had mixed results with the using a guile suit and the spaceblanket/towel idea. As for the rifle being pained with the VHS tape, again mixed results, we shredded the tape up and then ran it through a blender (don't recommend using mon's one, but we had an old one lying around and mixed it with Elmers Glue. We tested it in theory on lightly heated metal and it seems to be okay. Didn't want to try it out on a weapon, just or cleaning sake. Vehicle one...well again, a theory issue.

Last edited:
I don't know about thermal imaging but I've got around PIR sensors by holding up a sheet of ply between me and the sensor.

There are plenty lines of clothing that will reduce the infra red image. Not your heat signature but the pure infra red reflection gets reduced by a lot. In the german military we got it in 2007 if I remember right.

One of the problems is earth compressed thermo tracers, if one does follow the technique in this PDF hunker down stop walking, when you walk you may leave a short change of thermo properties in the ground not necessarily from body heat but from compressing the ground, the ground is generally warmer then ambient air temp, when you compress the ground you change the temperature for a very short time enough to give off a signature in certain times of the year, also..

When you walk the blood warms the feet releasing a heat signature through the shoe/boots as shown here, upper left side you can barely see the feet that hasn't moved but the feet below you can clearly see the heat signature of someone that's walking, stop walking, cover everything.
thermo.jpg

Tactical walking tips for bugging in or out

BEFORE SETTING OFF

Try on your Back Pack and Jacket, Jump up and down on the spot, if your kit rattles or bangs re-pack your rucksack until its silent. Ensure shiny items like watches, ear rings, earphones, belt buckles are covered up or taped over. Make sure your specs and shades are the dull, matt or satin coloured frames, not the gloss type.

Do NOT take hand luggage, you must keep both hands free for climbing, roping, using tools etc

Keep your EDC essentials on your person not in your rucksack (Knife, Compass, Lighter, Flash-light, Multi Tool, Bandanna, Hats, Gloves, Watch, Shades etc) should you be forced to abandon your GHB / BOB pack .

If its a daytime departure take a look out the windows from well within the room moving to the right of the room to look left down the street, and vice versa. Do not stand close the window and highlight yourself. Ensure as best possible that your departure goes unnoticed by others.

Look at the windows of neighbouring properties to see if there is any sign of people watching.

For night time departure, extinguish all lights and fires 30 minutes before looking out of the windows to see if its clear to go, Move slowly at night as human eyes detect movement more than detail in the dark. Avoid the use of Flashlights. IF you need to use a flashlight to read a map then use a shrouded RED filter lens to protect your night vision.

Turn off your cell phones, pagers etc before leaving.

Use simple hand signals not your voice to relay information to other family members, raised arm means stop, raised arm and a crouching stance means stop and take cover, arm extended to left means move towards the left, arm extended to right means move to right. Keep the signals few in number and very simple.

READY TO GO

Turn out lights if it is dark, open door or window PARTIALLY and LISTEN for threats. Send out one person to scan the immediate area for concealed threats. If area good to go rest of group to follow, silently and at least 3 to 4 ft apart (6 to 8 feet if tactical situation demands more defensive stance).

WALKING

Walk where possible in the shadows, look up for hazards in surrounding buildings, Look down to avoid items that may make noise like twigs, gravel or broken glass. Pause frequently to listen, you generally will identify more threats by sound than sight, breaking glass, raised voices, gun shots, vehicle engines, running feet, barking
dogs, disturbed roosting birds etc

Watch what nature does, if you see a flock of birds, or a rabbit, or deer for example suddenly take flight that tells you something has frightened it, and it may NOT have been your group.

Look left and right SLOWLY in a steady scanning motion, Human eyes detect motion more than shapes when its dark and you have more detector rods and cones in the sides of your eyes than you do at the back. Scanning side to side as you walk you will detect MOVEMENT before shape.

The last man in the group needs to keep stopping and quietly observing the rear to see if you are being followed.

Avoid using flashlights to navigate with, rely on your own night visions, Human eyes take 35 minutes to adapt to the dark but only seconds to lose night vision if a fool turns on a flashlight. Not to mention the risk of advertising your position to the whole area if you do use a flashlight.

Where possible avoid public places and spaces where cops, troops or attackers may gather, try and stay in the shadows.

Avoid districts where scavengers may good looking for food, loot etc When passing through hilly neighbourhoods never walk along hilltops or ridge lines, stay under the ridge line and don’t silhouette your self.

If faced with an obstacle such as a hedgerow or wall try always to go round or under it, not over the top or through a gate because again you are just exposing yourself to detection.

In the short term most highway and rail bridges are really places to avoid, both state officials and predators WILL target them. Look for alternative routes.

RESTING & EATING

No cooking fires during the day unless you can guarantee you wont create any smoke. When cooking at night site the cooker in a hollow or hole so it does not give off light giving away your position, Beware of the odour of cooking food also giving away your position.

If in a group ONE PERSON COOKS, the others spread out and keep watch for approaching trouble, Silence is golden as you will hear them approaching long before you see them.

You need to remember the cook will probably lose his night vision so if you have to bug out someone will need to help him until his eyes adjust. Ideally eat in shifts, half eating half keeping watch. Pack away camp cooker etc
BEFORE eating in case you have to bug out in a hurry.

Take every scrap of rubbish with you or bury it, fill in your cooking hole / fire pit, leave no clue to your passing through.

SLEEPING

We all need rest and the young and elderly need more rest than healthy adults, you all must sleep when possible. Human biorhythms run in two hour cycles, so to get the full benefit of sleep people need to be fully asleep in two hour sections. This in reality means in a stressed situation after a days bugging out each member will need three hours in his sleeping bag, an hour to wind down / de-stress and two hours sleep. So whilst at least one person stands watch, the others should rest in three hour sections.

All gear must remain packed in rucksacks and boots etc kept close to hand in case you have to make a swift and stealthy exit from your campsite.

MOVING ON

If you find yourself having to return to your original location due to unforeseen circumstance then if you can use a different route back.
And check frequently by stopping and listening to see if you are being followed.

Last edited:
Situational Awareness When Going Out.

During times of high risk / disaster / civil unrest etc need to become much more situationally aware before you go venturing outdoors to the shops, work, school, visiting family etc. You must check your local news traffic and crime warnings before going anywhere, EVERYTIME..... Don't JUST anything.

Never drive (walk) to destination into without ensuring you have at least TWO ways out.

Never let your vehicle fuel tank go under half , preferably 3/4 during a crisis

Keep Vehicle doors locked especially in built up areas.

AND the I.C.E in your car is for listening to local news, traffic news etc during a crisis, not music.

Keep Shades, Hat, Gloves, Mask, Wipes, Flat shoes, easily to hand in vehicle.

No bags or valuables on show in vehicle (in the boot / trunk or under the seat or in glovebox.)

Never try to drive through any sort of crowd gathering, even slowly.

When you park up,do so ONLY in brightly lit areas and ALWAYS park so you can drive FORWARDS to get out, Never park nose first into a blind parking bay.

Never ENTER or LEAVE a shop or building without looking AND listening in /out to see if its safe.

Always have your car keys ready to hand when you return to your vehicle.

STOP, LOOK, LISTEN is it safe to proceed?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never sit NEAR the window or with your back to the window / door in a cafe, diner / bar etc

NOTE where the fire escapes and emergency exits are.

Go armed, your PDW (if legal) goes ON YOUR PERSON not in a bag.(as should your Wallet/Purse/Bill-fold & Car Keys)

Keep your Bag / Purse to your FRONT, and NEVER wear the strap over your head.

(Ladies) if possible no high heels, tight short skirts, exposed valuable jewellery on show

Trust your instincts, chance are if something does not feel right, then it probably is NOT all right.

If you see crowds / mobs at destination go some place else or delay trip until another day

Watch the crowds, how are they moving, Purposefully? Aggressively? Fearfully? Are they fleeing or are they attacking ?

Finished shopping? Make sure you or your vehicle is not being followed as you head home ( Keys ready)

Situational Awareness When Going Out.

During times of high risk / disaster / civil unrest etc need to become much more situationally aware before you go venturing outdoors to the shops, work, school, visiting family etc. You must check your local news traffic and crime warnings before going anywhere, EVERYTIME..... Don't JUST anything.

Never drive (walk) to destination into without ensuring you have at least TWO ways out.

Never let your vehicle fuel tank go under half , preferably 3/4 during a crisis

Keep Vehicle doors locked especially in built up areas.

AND the I.C.E in your car is for listening to local news, traffic news etc during a crisis, not music.

Keep Shades, Hat, Gloves, Mask, Wipes, Flat shoes, easily to hand in vehicle.

No bags or valuables on show in vehicle (in the boot / trunk or under the seat or in glovebox.)

Never try to drive through any sort of crowd gathering, even slowly.

When you park up,do so ONLY in brightly lit areas and ALWAYS park so you can drive FORWARDS to get out, Never park nose first into a blind parking bay.

Never ENTER or LEAVE a shop or building without looking AND listening in /out to see if its safe.

Always have your car keys ready to hand when you return to your vehicle.

STOP, LOOK, LISTEN is it safe to proceed?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never sit NEAR the window or with your back to the window / door in a cafe, diner / bar etc

NOTE where the fire escapes and emergency exits are.

Go armed, your PDW (if legal) goes ON YOUR PERSON not in a bag.(as should your Wallet/Purse/Bill-fold & Car Keys)

Keep your Bag / Purse to your FRONT, and NEVER wear the strap over your head.

(Ladies) if possible no high heels, tight short skirts, exposed valuable jewellery on show

Trust your instincts, chance are if something does not feel right, then it probably is NOT all right.

If you see crowds / mobs at destination go some place else or delay trip until another day

Watch the crowds, how are they moving, Purposefully? Aggressively? Fearfully? Are they fleeing or are they attacking ?

Finished shopping? Make sure you or your vehicle is not being followed as you head home ( Keys ready)
I agree with most of this,but I can't go along with locked car doors,,,,,if someone really wants into your car they will bust a window and if the doors are locked it only slows down your escape,,,no one will bother your car if there is nothing in the car they can see,,,,,,,,,

I never sit with my back to a door that anyone can come thru and I sit at the windows facing the door that way I can see my truck and everything going on outside long before it comes inside and I prefer a corner with no one behind me ,,,,

as I type I can see the door,the dogs have the yard,,,,,,my bed faces the door

I live in the country and there is not a lot of traffic out here,you can hear a car long before it goes by the house,those who are driving real slow I watch from a unseen position as they go by,if they come in and get out I wait until I know what they are up to before I come out of hiding,any who stop I am at the ready and watch for 20 to 30 minutes after they move on,,,you can never relax your guard

Night Time Observations.

Not many people realise the following,
During the day your eyes mainly use the rods and cones and the BACK of the eye to detect SHAPE.
But at night your eyes mainly use the rods and cones on the SIDES of your eyeball to detect MOVEMENT.

It part of a ancient ancestor predator detection system we inherited. it is why highly trained soldiers on night patrol constantly move their heads from left to right as they patrol because they know they are more likely to detect the enemy by their MOVEMENT more than their SHAPE.

One noted problem with NVG is they are very narrow focused, if the detectors look straight at the bad guy you will see them, but often your view is limited to about 30 to 40 degrees but anything outside that arc you dont. They are still great devices to have to assist.

Night Time Movements

You have all seen it in the movies or experienced it in the movies, someone moving tactically at night trying to remain undetected, then Crack or Snap they stand on something like a twig or piece of an old bottle and it breaks and makes a telltale noise.

The risk of doing this can be REDUCED not stopped by walking tactically by SLOWLY sweeping the ground with your foot close to the ground then slightly sideways as you take each step. This frequently brushes aside anything that could snap or break before you stand on it. It can also help you detect trip wires before you trigger them. It looks weird , takes concentration, is not guaranteed, and slows you down but has been proven to work in both rural and urban night time environments.

You often see the lead guy in a time or line in a clearing operation pushing his foot forwards close to the ground rather than using the lifted stepping normal method of walking.

Footnote

It also worth pointing out the benefits of having noisy gravel drives and paths on the approaches to your house / retreat as an early warning system of unwelcome visitors.

I like the slow heel toe stalking method . Very quite indoors or in the field and keeps you in a stable stance . But there is some times nothing works . Like in a woodland area like we have here with a thick leaf bed in dry weather .

I find that for hunting in dry weather . Get there early and push through at a fast pace . Get to your hide and let things settle down . That works for hunting but would not in a tactical situation .

1596313673963.png
I belive this has been here earlier too,but I felt the need to put it up again, make your own ranger beads, if you feel the need for them, but try them out before you put your lives at them, we all walk differently,terrain is different,so you prolly need to "walk a lot " so you know how many steps you take per110 yards/ 100 meters in different terrains, I belive it's not an excact science,but it should give you a rough estimate of distance walked.

Latest posts

Back