Greetings from the Philippines

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overlord

Reaction score
A salute to all Doomsday Preppers! Am from the Philippines and we also have a small community here of DDay Preppers. We would like to reach out and get in touch with others who share the same outlook.

Hi overlord ...we are glad to have you. I'd love to hear more about prepping in the phillipines. Seems like you would already be pretty well set. Teach us what y'all do.
I'm from Louisiana and we could always use tips on tropical living. Nice to meet you

Hi Clyde, thanks for the warm welcome. We would be glad to impart some information from our end on how to survive a tropical environment. Some of our members live in Mindanao and are instrumental in the assistance of victims of Typhoon Pablo (International Name: Bopha) which hit last year and left hundreds dead and no food nor water in the area for several months.
We also look forward to learning from you in the West particularly regarding Tornados since it seems that these are starting to become commonplace here and are getting stronger.

More Power to everyone! And as we say among ourselves here: Be Safe Always

Hi, I note that Philippines imports rice when you could grow your own but your Government Officials have rules that stop this from happening. I keep looking for flights that can take me via Philippines when I fly Australia to Vietnam. I'll make it to your place one day.
Pick through and take the info you need friend.

Strop2, sure thing. just give a holler. Thanks, will do.

On the rice imports, it is actually more of a political (or should I say, corruption?) issue rather than a necessity issue. There are politicians that earn through these importations.

I didn't want to use the word corruption - but it is sad that home grown rice production is affected by it.
Extra cost for rice - limited home grown rice will affect your prepping or makes it part of the equation/consideration when a disaster strikes.
I have a friend who has been waiting 2 years for your Government Officials/Courts to give the 'go ahead' for a much needed bus terminal near Manila, but the 'price' is still being negotiated.
Hopefully, you have some government friends in your prepping group.
Good luck prepper.

Sad but true. Well, the price of rice is not that prohibitive. It is about $1.00 for a kilo of good quality rice and about 80 cents for a lower quality product. We are not exactly experiencing a shortage on the consumer side. The price just goes up hehehe....

We have two, one is head of Phil. Army Reservists for Mindanao and the other was with the Philippine National Police.

The rest are regular joes although some of us have survivalist and first-aid trainings.

Your friend may have to wait coz that's how the process here is, "if the price is right" even if our president states that he follows the "Tuwid Na Daan" (means "Straight Road"), it is very obvious that a lot of people under him don't.

During Typhoon Ondoy (International: Bopha), a lot of relief goods were routed to the families of the local officials and limited stocks were distributed to the people affected. So there really is a problem with "the way things happen here". ;)

Since it's a known issue - at least you can plan for it.
Good rice in Vietnam costs about 50 cents/KG.
I produce 6,000kg/yr. I help out local government by giving rice and noodles to approx. 70 families(food lasts a month for a family of 5) every year which helps Officials look good in the public eye.
You just have to plan/prep for the conditions you're in.

Now I see why they are importing and smuggling Vietnamese rice. it is a whole lot cheaper than local rice. There was a recent attempt to smuggle $30M worth of Vietnamese rice but these got caught.

You have a rice plantation in Vietnam? That's cool! Wish my BOL had similar logistics, I can only plant trees and shrubs there.

Yep, planning is key. It is a good thing that my wife is on board (she thought I was starting to lose a screw in the head before) and she helps in the upkeep, monitoring and rotation of our stocks.

howdy overlord..welcome to the forum and family..sounds like that your doing alright ..and thats good

A salute to all Doomsday Preppers! Am from the Philippines and we also have a small community here of DDay Preppers. We would like to reach out and get in touch with others who share the same outlook.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Hi Bill, sorry for not acknowledging you earlier. I thought you were Clyde coz that was what appeared in my Inbox. Thank you for the warm welcome.

Thanks Jim and Clyde for the welcome. I am really looking forward to being a part of this community. If there is anything I can also share, I will be most glad to.

Be Safe Always!

G'day from Down Under - read this post with interest. Hope things work out for you and your fellow preppers.
Wow, rice @ 50c/kg. Even $1/kg.
I pay $2/kg for good qual. rice, and that's on special.

I just went shopping at the supermarket and the good packaged rice was $2/kg and higher.
The many mini markets sell it from 30 - 60 cents /kg.
Rice is cheap and there isn't much of a mark up, unless you export it or package it properly. Vietnamese rice was $1 / kg at Woolies Australia last year.
I eat a mainly Western food diet, and other family members eat a local diet - costs per day here for 6 people, is less than $10. And all the food is local and fresh.
Our Philippines friend is growing his own, buying from locals, similar to me.

G'day too jayjay... As we say here "Magandang Araw" (Maganda is Beautiful, Araw is Day) :)

Strop2, wish I could grow my own rice ;) . My main source of Carbs at my BOL would be corn and sweet potatos (maybe some potatos too).

Just to clarify, the $1/kg rice is the regular rice that we consume (standard milled rice). If we go for good quality rice like Jasmine, etc., these would be quite pricey here at over $2/kg.

Rice and beans would really be the best bet in stocking food. both provides carbs and a certain level of protein. Augment these with other legumes and beans, you can actually get an almost complete set of protein.

An in-law just brought over some freshwater crabs.
The other food that a rice paddy brings in at harvest are: rats and occasional snake. People dive in front of the harvester to catch the food. it is very entertaining.
After harvest and first rain: freshwater crabs, frogs, occasional snake and snails.
During wet season: we net the paddies for fish.

We have 2-3 harvests per year. Most other countries have 1 per yr.

I have paw paw trees that give fruit throughout the year, mango trees once per year, chillies and various weeds that we eat.
One in-law catches and sells fresh fish from the canals daily (sometimes a turtle), other in-laws grow a little corn, yams (similar to potato), breed about 15 chickens and about 15 ducks.
This basically feeds us - but then I buy more for me.

Strop2, I envy you. That is a practically endless supply of food you got there (of course, that has to be shared not only with the relatives but also the neighbors and such). The fruit trees are also important.

Am now thinking of digging up a pond and having some tilapia in it up in the BOL.

I am waiting for wet season to finish and then commence a chicken farm of bout 500 chickens.
That will give us meat and eggs. Plus a couple of fighters for the holiday festivities.
I have enough room for a small pond - initially to teach my son to swim and then adding Tilapia (an invasive pest in Australia) but has rapid growth.
The in-laws also did this for awhile but there pond was too small and their 3 mth of time and energy did not result in a great payday.
However, I don't plan to make money out of it - it is just another food source.
If I experiment and view each trial objectively - I can focus on the best food sources.

Envious - friends here want us to buy land next to them in Thailand, grow rice, on the shore of a huge lake full of fish.
Not sure though!

Research everything - ownership laws will get you.
The laws do change, the laws state must have 50% ownership with a local or have local spouse.

Latest posts

Back