greenhouse

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimLE

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
2 years ago i made a greenhuse with 2x4's and rolls of plastic.it's 6 feet by 10 feet.but the roll of plastic i used dont last that long.it becomes dryrotted all to easy.im gonna make the green house much larger soon as i have the money to do so.but what im wondering,is this.is it a good idea to use hard plastic thats shaped like coragated tin a good idea as long as i make sure i dont crack it and all?

Are you following plans to build the greenhouse. I've seen some different ones online and some of them look pre good and include a heating/cooling/ watering system. Ill try to find the link for you but from what I'm know (not much) a strong plastic tarp would do the thing

I've seen the transparent fiberglass used before in greenhouses and it seems to work. I've also seen people get old window, screen doors, shower doors, and sliding doors off of Craigs List and use them as well for green houses and cold frames. There is also another type of rolled plastic that I've used and for the life of me, I cannot remember the name of it right now, but it is as clear as glass and thick and it comes in a roll as well. I think I bought it at a fabric store or maybe a craft store, but I used it on some cold frames and it held up for years.

I've seen the transparent fiberglass used before in greenhouses and it seems to work. I've also seen people get old window, screen doors, shower doors, and sliding doors off of Craigs List and use them as well for green houses and cold frames. There is also another type of rolled plastic that I've used and for the life of me, I cannot remember the name of it right now, but it is as clear as glass and thick and it comes in a roll as well. I think I bought it at a fabric store or maybe a craft store, but I used it on some cold frames and it held up for years.
Maybe it's vinyl or polypropylene?

Vinyl most likely. I don't know. It works really good for putting over windows in the winter as well because it's so clear, you see through it just like glass.

p
Vinyl most likely. I don't know. It works really good for putting over windows in the winter as well because it's so clear, you see through it just like glass.
probably vinyl, that's what they make sheet protectors and card holders out of.

It's about 3-4 times thicker than that stuff, but I think it's that same material.

Are you following plans to build the greenhouse. I've seen some different ones online and some of them look pre good and include a heating/cooling/ watering system. Ill try to find the link for you but from what I'm know (not much) a strong plastic tarp would do the thing

i do have plans.but thier all up in head..top notch carpenter im not.but i make a ok amutur..the fiber glass/plastic shaped like the tin that goes on barn roofs is what im thinking of useing...

Corrugated sheeting is what your looking for , it comes in 2ft 6in wide sections and normally 10ft long ifn you speak nice to the supplier they may cut it to the required length for you

yeah..but i have'nt decided on what hight to go with yet..pluse one side will be at least 2 inchs higher then the other side for the rain water to drain off like it needs to..i installed some plexie glass into some windows of a storage building for someone.and thats where i learned a nice lil trick to make sure it dont crack splinter or brake while im cuting it.it's a matter of marking it where i need to cut it at.then place see through packeage tape on each side where the mark is.then use a metal cutting blade for the cutting...then pre drill the holes where the screws/nails will be at..

yeah that's a handy tip Jim, also depending what you are using to cut it, let the machine do the work all the way thru, try not to force it , that's when it tends to split or crack.

i use a jig saw with a metal cutting blade which works great.and like you said.dont force it.it'll cut quiekly and easly enough on it's own..

I have a raised bed that im going to convert into a greenhouse half will be paved for pots and staging and the other half will be direct into the soil . I just measured it, I thought it was bigger than it is, it actually measures 10ft6in x 5ft. a bit of rejigging is called for

Ideally I would like my greenhouse to be 12ft x 8ft. One side paved from the door for about four feet for pots and tubs,then the other 8ft into bare earth for tomato plants ,the other side of the greenhouse for the full length will be for succulent plants like peppers and cucumbers an things .

I am fortunate to have a frien who has his own lumber mill, he is 90 years old but still puts in a full day cutting boards , so I get me a good discount on my 2x2 and 4x2

we go to lowes and buy paveings stones there for the green house.and seeing how i'll be makeing it larger.theni gotta buy more stones..

There is greenhouses all around me and that is a special plastic they use to cover them.but I see it lasting for at least ten years plus on them.PS there is several professional greenhouses around here that I could probably get you for free if you want to go through the trouble of coming here to take them down.if one of you is interested send me a private note.

thatd mean pulling a trailer with the van when it comes to me.or a truck n trailer rental and i dont see either happening

Yes there is a lot of framework.it would also be simpler to leave trusses framed together. They are framed out of about one inch tubing and bolted together.they are pretty large though maybe 20 feet high 20 feet wide by maybe 100 feet long. And the plastic is there also

Latest posts

Back