greenhouse

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes there is a lot of framework.it would also be simpler to leave trusses framed together. They are framed out of about one inch tubing and bolted together.they are pretty large though maybe 20 feet high 20 feet wide by maybe 100 feet long. And the plastic is there also

Hmmm...I would LOVE a free greenhouse...we bought 2 last spring...they were great but bigger is always better. We removed the covers over winter to prolong their lives. Last year we used tables...this year we have shelves.

8725188422_5fb964de2a_z.jpg

8724068825_66030786b3_z.jpg

I don't remember the exact cost...but one was just over a $100...it was GREAT. Allowed me to put the plants into the greenhouse long before I was ready to plant them in the dirt. Then when I was ready to plant in the garden I didn't have to harden them off...the side vents and end vents allowed the breeze in to strengthen the plants. The only problem we had was cold night temps...I had to put a heater in there to keep the plants okay. We have freezing temps at night until mid may (this year probably end of may). Also, on sunny days if I forgot to open the vents before I left for work it would get HORRIBLY hot in there! I eventually would like one that has automated vents that open as it gets hot...lol...but I also want to do lots of things and I do NOT have the money for EVERYTHING!

I checked Fleet Farms website just now and they have a similar one on sale for about $140 that is 10ft long x 6ft wide x 6.5feet tall. The one that is on sale right now doesn't appear as nice as ours but looks bigger. Both our and the one at Fleetfarm were Shelterlogic grow-it kits. I found ours on Amazon.com this morning for $250. That is MUCH higher than we paid last year!

one thing i did when i built the green house we have now,is.i ran a cord from a electric outlet on the front wall of the garage to the greenhouse.i also ran it through a pvc pipe seeing how a part of it is outside and in the greenhouse.wanted make sure the weather stayed off of it much as possible.will be going with that again when i enlarge it..that way i have electric in green house when needed.pluse i plan on running plumbing to it as well.that'll make it easy on my mom when it comes to watering stuff and washing her hands while in the greenhouse..i've seen some of those greenhouses like you have chick.and they apear to be to small for what we need..pluse i dont see any way of attaching shelves to it for stabilaty when it comes to the shelves.

You are right...there is no way to attach shelves to it. We had to purchase shelves for inside. It is TOO small now but last year it was HEAVEN! We run an extension cord to it and plug in a heater. I also have a hose from the house to the greenhouses. But eventually we need something more permanent and BIGGER! But this helps immensely for now.

I hillbillied an indoor green house this spring. Found a bread rack like what they use in fast food joints to hold bread and buns, it had 11 of the big, heavy plastic bread trays with it. Everything was by the dumpster of a restaurant that had closed for business, so I appropriated it. Anyhow, I took the heavy, clear vinyl and cut lengths of it to hang from the top of the rack to the floor and then cut a piece to fit over the top. I taped the sheets of vinyl together at the sides, but there was still good airflow to keep it from overheating. We can fit 2 big trays of seedlings per bread tray and left enough room between each bread tray for the plants to have space to grow in. Set the whole business in front of a window in the kitchen and we started close to 500 seedlings and have now got nearly all of it in the ground going strong.

I love scavenging. Free is wonderful!

Anorak, that sounds wonderful. My problem with scavenging is that I don't get into town enough to FIND good stuff...once I'm done with my day job I go home and that is where I stay!!!

I spotted it as we were turning around to go back the other way. I thought Hubs was going to die of embarrassment. You'd think after all this time, he'd be used to me doing odd things by now.

my mom would be telling me pack n get out untill she at least got use to the idea of haveing it and liked what i done with it..lol

as for the items i been thinking of for the walls and roof for my green house is fiberglass panels for the roof and pvc clear panels for the walls..but it looks like that'll get to expensive.so,now im thinking.. go with the fiberglass panels for roof like i already plan to..and then go with see through heavy duty plastic for the walls and doors.which means i gotta lok into that plastic.seeing how i didnt do that yesterday...uuuuuuuuugg

all that sounds great..and at same time.sounds like more greenhouse then what i need at time.and at the same time..all that would be great to have on hand if/when needed..

Latest posts

Back