Grain mill

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have the same Jr. mill and like it. My complaint was just how blasted long it took to get it! Maybe because we live in a remote place in B.C.? Use it about 3 times a week. We figure we have about 3 years of grain in storage bins and that's something I'd like to know other folks ideas on. I just put it in new 5 gallon buckets and hammer the lids back down. We keep it inside a bag within the tub and made sure they were clean and new. We keep it in our mud room so it's a bit less than the temperature of the house. Should it be colder? If so, then I can always move it to one of our outbuildings but we don't like having food out there because of the remote possibility of either bears breaking into the tiny shack, or if it gets too hot in the summer.

I have 50 # bags of whole kernel corn in the stash . It is now about 4 years old and still bug free and looks as good as the day I bought it . Putting it through the grain mill and boiling it up for grits , if needed is the plan . I did nothing to extend its life , but simply put the bags in a non-working deep freeze with no temperature or moisture control at all , as it sits outside but under a roof .

I have 50 # bags of whole kernel corn in the stash . It is now about 4 years old and still bug free and looks as good as the day I bought it . Putting it through the grain mill and boiling it up for grits , if needed is the plan . I did nothing to extend its life , but simply put the bags in a non-working deep freeze with no temperature or moisture control at all , as it sits outside but under a roof .
Cornbread and tortillas would be other uses for it.

I have this one and it's a good one. But seems like it was only HALF the price shown. I thought $300 two years ago was outrageous and still do. But I have whole red and white wheat stockpiled down there and will need this for a lot of foods. It's the priciest thing I told my husband I had to have after the steel cranked clothes wringer I got that attaches to the counter on the pouch. The mill is stored in a box under the kitchen table at the ready and takes 3 seconds to clamp onto the work surface. I did put the 3-4 parts together and test it when it arrived though. I was impressed with how tightly the clamp really holds it tight when cranking. Shipper set it to "flour" size grind setting, with a sample of that grind in a baggie. Man, it's as fine as your loose bath dusting powder, girls. Tried to grind some corn nuts I had at hand that day and it cut right through those mini rocks. I feel it will prove its worth when SHTF.

https://www.lehmans.com/product/country-living-grain-mill/

Last edited:
This was the thread I was looking for.
Wife brought this home for $10. Made in Mexico, but similar in quality to my Antique meat grinders. Estrella was the brand on it.
F4B13E72-7123-4ACE-A4F2-CDEE44E8BEE9.jpeg

Whatever you get folks, be sure to get a backup of some type because you would never want to have tons of wheat berries with no way to grind them! I would never just have an electric one. Too many chances of grid electric going down for a long time and of getting EMP’d, therefore nocking out solar…or other such disasters.

Yes, other than my CampChef oven, I've only gone for manual tools for the BOL. Doubt I'd be willing to even pull out the CampChef if we lose electricity using in on a generator. The oven would only be a luxury for when power comes BACK on.............when (if) that might be. Most of our long-term food is 'add H20, stir and eat' or 'open the can, heat (optional) and eat. We also laid in and properly stored lots of pre-ground flour, anticipating power outage.

Last edited:
Whatever you get folks, be sure to get a backup of some type because you would never want to have tons of wheat berries with no way to grind them! I would never just have an electric one. Too many chances of grid electric going down for a long time and of getting EMP’d, therefore nocking out solar…or other such disasters.

I have several somewhat flat stones laying around. I can always grind my wheat berries by hand.

Latest posts

Back