goTenna

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Top Poster
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
Hi, I'm Daniela --I co-founded goTenna because of the SHTF moment I found myself in during Hurricane Sandy. Feel free to ask me anything!
So does it only work with Smartphones? I got a phone for dummies. . . the flip top kind, but they say it is indestructible. I had carried one that had that screen thing on it, but it didn't even last a year before it got broke so just went back to what worked for me.

So does it only work with Smartphones? I got a phone for dummies. . . the flip top kind, but they say it is indestructible. I had carried one that had that screen thing on it, but it didn't even last a year before it got broke so just went back to what worked for me.
Hey there, for now we've developed a product that only works with iOS & Android devices -- they need not be smartphones, they just need to be running on those operating systems (so it could be an iPad/iPod or a Kindle, for example). We're too small a company right now to build for other platforms, but our first prototypes actually worked over the audio jack for feature-phones, so it could definitely come down the line if we get enough interest. :)

Daniwrath this product is amazing. Can you pair more then two of them up or what? Like if I were to by multiple sets to give to my prep team would we all be able to communicate together? And also you said they work with any android or ios device?

Also what is the range on this thing? And how does it pair, blue tooth what? I am seriously so excited to find this I have a degree in mobile communications so this is something that really I trust me and gets me excited.

Daniwrath this product is amazing. Can you pair more then two of them up or what? Like if I were to by multiple sets to give to my prep team would we all be able to communicate together? And also you said they work with any android or ios device?
Charles, thanks for the encouragement! :)

Yes, you can pair with any goTenna -- not just the other one you buy in your pair. You can essentially create your own network on your own terms, with as many (or as few) people as you'd like. You can also message people who you know (i.e. specific individuals & groups in your contact list) as well as broadcast to others within range of you ("Shouts" and "Emergency" features).

And yes, goTenna works with any Apple devices running iOS7 or above (incl. iPads, iPods), and on Android devices running 4.x or above (incl. tablets).

So theoretically if you were to run a virtual or mock setup on your computer you could pair it up with this antenna?

Also what is the range on this thing? And how does it pair, blue tooth what? I am seriously so excited to find this I have a degree in mobile communications so this is something that really I trust me and gets me excited.
Range is greatly dependent on your elevation/terrain. We reliably get 0.5 mile in dense NYC (where we're based), but we've gotten as high as 1 mile in NYC (not line-of-sight). In most outdoor, non-urban situations you reliably get 2-6 miles (more in open desert, say, than in dense forest). You can get dozens of miles in elevated conditions, and mountaintop-to-mountaintop you can get 50 miles.

Yes, we have an open SDK that you can develop on so you can command goTenna however you'd like! http://www.gotenna.com/pages/developer

Wow this is an amazing product. Does it work with radio frequencies like walkie talkies or what. If I am asking to many technical questions that you don't want to answer just tell me and I will understand I am just truly fascinated with is.

Wow this is an amazing product. Does it work with radio frequencies like walkie talkies or what. If I am asking to many technical questions that you don't want to answer just tell me and I will understand I am just truly fascinated with is.
No way - your enthusiasm is very validating and fun for me :)

Yes, this works on 151-154 MHz unlicensed VHF frequencies (known as "MURS").

So with the micro USB connector wouldn't it be possible to connect it to say a ham radio antenna or possibly even a cb antenna to get a larger range?

And to everyone else on this post I am sorry if I am post I g to much and monopolizing the post. Please just let me know and I will shut up.

So with the micro USB connector wouldn't it be possible to connect it to say a ham radio antenna or possibly even a cb antenna to get a larger range?
If you're hacker-inclined you can add an external antenna though you'd void your warranty with us ;)

And to everyone else on this post I am sorry if I am post I g to much and monopolizing the post. Please just let me know and I will shut up.

I am just as intrigued with this, your not monopolizing at all, your Qs are helping me ;) I am seeing a great deal of benefits with this product!

Latest posts

Back