Got my order

Prepper & Survivalism Forum

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

old_anorak

Prepping Goddess
Reaction score
Thank you jeepgirl. My order arrived yesterday and I'll be getting them started this weekend. Thank you again for the prompt service.

Damn, now that sounded like something you'd put on ebay.

Okay, this is better.

Jeepgirl, you rock! :D

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Thank you jeepgirl. My order arrived yesterday and I'll be getting them started this weekend. Thank you again for the prompt service.

Okay, this is better.

That's funny! I'm glad I could help!
I'm sure mine will show up tomorrow or monday then!

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score

Okay, this is better.

That's funny! I'm glad I could help!
I got mine today.
Just out of curiosity, how do I store them?
I'm not sure how to even grow them.Hazards of city life..... sigh....

old_anorak

Prepping Goddess
Reaction score
You can stick them in the fridge for now. How big of a yard do you have? Is it big enough for a plastic kiddie pool? Some things like cucumbers, cantaloupes, some squash can be trained to grow up on trellis work of some sort, with the melons and heavier produce you can take panty hose and create a sling for the fruit and attach it to whatever the plant is growing on for support.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
You can stick them in the fridge for now.
Dp they need to be in mylar or something other than small zip lock bags?
How big of a yard do you have? Is it big enough for a plastic kiddie pool? Some things like cucumbers, cantaloupes, some squash can be trained to grow up on trellis work of some sort, with the melons and heavier produce you can take panty hose and create a sling for the fruit and attach it to whatever the plant is growing on for support.
Yard?!?!.... yeah right! I have no yard! Nothing but cement! I might could get a large post or the like. I have seen things people use where the item grows upside down. Not too sure how that would work.

old_anorak

Prepping Goddess
Reaction score
Hmmmm... for some reason I thought you had a very tiny yard. Okay then. You can raise tomatoes in buckets, some of the other stuff in shallow Rubbermaid containers about 6-8 inches deep and train them up onto pieces of lattice board. You can get plastic lattice board at Lowe's and stores like that, it's easy to cut with a hand saw and fairly sturdy. I use cattle panels but I don't know that you would have a ready source of those. I was going to suggest planting in a kiddie pool, that works pretty good for people who don't have good dirt or live somewhere that they can't dig up a spot. With the containers or the pool, you don't have to worry about weeds or leaving room to walk between rows so you can plant more intensively. My oldest can't dig up a plot where she's living now, so she uses kiddie pools and last year she got about 75 lbs of produce per 6 ft wide pool and that was with the drought and heat. This year she's doing the same thing, but rigging up a tarp for shade over part of it. She'll be able to move it around to where it's needed.

old_anorak

Prepping Goddess
Reaction score
Nope, just stick them in as is. Now some of the seeds will need a good soaking right before you plant them, so read the instructions on them. If you have any small butter tubs, you can start your tomatoes and a few other things inside to get a head start. Actually any kind of small container that you can poke a hole in the bottom and will hold at least a cup of soil will work.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Nope, just stick them in as is. Now some of the seeds will need a good soaking right before you plant them, so read the instructions on them.
What instructions? There was but only my seeds, a business card and an invoice in the mailer.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmmm... for some reason I thought you had a very tiny yard.
nope! only cement.
Okay then. You can raise tomatoes in buckets, some of the other stuff in shallow Rubbermaid containers about 6-8 inches deep and train them up onto pieces of lattice board.
is there a specific diameter that should be used?
You can get plastic lattice board at Lowe's and stores like that, it's easy to cut with a hand saw and fairly sturdy. I use cattle panels but I don't know that you would have a ready source of those.
Lattice they have!
I was going to suggest planting in a kiddie pool, that works pretty good for people who don't have good dirt or live somewhere that they can't dig up a spot. With the containers or the pool, you don't have to worry about weeds or leaving room to walk between rows so you can plant more intensively.
how far apart should each plant be?
My oldest can't dig up a plot where she's living now, so she uses kiddie pools and last year she got about 75 lbs of produce per 6 ft wide pool and that was with the drought and heat. This year she's doing the same thing, but rigging up a tarp for shade over part of it. She'll be able to move it around to where it's needed.
Wow she is doing great!
sorry if my questions sound lame.

old_anorak

Prepping Goddess
Reaction score
Ah, okay, I didn't realize that. Okay I know you'll want to soak the melon seeds before planting. Any seed you soak, use room temperature to baby bottle warm water to start with and let them set on the counter for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours. Don't let them soak any longer. You can pretty much soak any seed you plant, it gives it a kick start in germinating. Some seeds are stupid tiny and to soak them, I fold up a paper towel, soak that and then sprinkle the seeds over the towel. I'll put that whole bit into either a sandwich baggie or into a bowl so I don't lose any of the seed.

old_anorak

Prepping Goddess
Reaction score
Don't worry about asking questions, it's the only way to find things out. If you are going to use something like a Rubbermaid container, use the biggest open one you can find, like what they have for putting things under the bed. You can plant lettuce, green onions, radishes all in the same container so you have your salad makings ready since they are usually the first to be ready to pick.

As to how far apart to plant; if you are going to do melons in a Rubbermaid type deal, you only want one per box, this would go for just about anything that vines because it's going to spread out as it grows. Plant your tomatoes one plant per bucket, I wouldn't even mess with the upside down things, I've never seen one work worth a damn.

Anything in a kiddie pool type of thing can be planted closer together, about 6 inches apart depending on what you plant. My daughter does zucchini, summer squash, green beans, peppers, cucumbers, peas, some okra, and a few other things in the containers. I have no idea how corn would fare planted like this. If you want to do potatoes, you can do them in tires, buckets, trash barrels, plastic trash bags, straw; whatever you have since you'll be adding to the top of it as the plant grows.

Do you know what you want to plant?

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Ah, okay, I didn't realize that. Okay I know you'll want to soak the melon seeds before planting. Any seed you soak, use room temperature to baby bottle warm water to start with and let them set on the counter for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours. Don't let them soak any longer. You can pretty much soak any seed you plant, it gives it a kick start in germinating. Some seeds are stupid tiny and to soak them, I fold up a paper towel, soak that and then sprinkle the seeds over the towel. I'll put that whole bit into either a sandwich baggie or into a bowl so I don't lose any of the seed.
Thanks for all of the info! I greatly appreciate it. at the moment I only have tomatoes for now. I will be getting the rest of the salad a bit later.

old_anorak

Prepping Goddess
Reaction score
I'd start the tomatoes inside to get them nice and hardy and then put them outside for longer periods of time until they harden off. You won't need lattice board for the tomatoes, just a sturdy stake and something to tie the plant to it with. Panty hose works great, it's sturdy but soft enough that it doesn't cut the plant. Once they are outside, don't water during the day, do it before the sun is high or after it goes down.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I'd start the tomatoes inside to get them nice and hardy and then put them outside for longer periods of time until they harden off. You won't need lattice board for the tomatoes, just a sturdy stake and something to tie the plant to it with. Panty hose works great, it's sturdy but soft enough that it doesn't cut the plant. Once they are outside, don't water during the day, do it before the sun is high or after it goes down.
Do the tomato seeds need to be soaked?
This should be entertaining.
I am going to have to buy more seeds to make up for the one I murder.

***Lame Question Alert***
Do I only plant one seed per area I want the plant or several?

old_anorak

Prepping Goddess
Reaction score
You can put the tomato seeds on a wet, wrung out paper towel since they are tiny. Let them set for awhile before you plant them. If you want, try to put 3-4 seeds in different areas of the paper towel and then when you plant, you just plant the little patch of toweling with the few seeds. Plant a few in each container and then after a few weeks you can pinch off the ones that aren't thriving or if they are all doing good, you can separate them into different containers. Only one mature plant per bucket is best.

You won't need all the seed in the packet, just about a dozen or so to give you 4-6 good, bearing plants. For the seed you don't use, just pack it up tightly and stick in the freezer until next year.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
You can put the tomato seeds on a wet, wrung out paper towel since they are tiny. Let them set for awhile before you plant them. If you want, try to put 3-4 seeds in different areas of the paper towel and then when you plant, you just plant the little patch of toweling with the few seeds. Plant a few in each container and then after a few weeks you can pinch off the ones that aren't thriving or if they are all doing good, you can separate them into different containers. Only one mature plant per bucket is best.

You won't need all the seed in the packet, just about a dozen or so to give you 4-6 good, bearing plants. For the seed you don't use, just pack it up tightly and stick in the freezer until next year.
Should they be in the freezer now, as they are currently in the refrigerator?

jeepgirl

My Seed Cellar
Reaction score
Thanks old_anorak for answering those questions..had a busy weekend. We always say the freezer but if you are about to use them, the refrigerator is fine. The topsy turvy actually works well for tomatoes (the thing that hangs upside down). You can also use the buckets. I always start tomatoes indoors and use a few seeds per container(cup). Like old_anorak said, you can pinch off the one's that aren't growing so well(if there are any). You won't use all of the seeds I sent or you will have a massive tomato garden lol

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks old_anorak for answering those questions..had a busy weekend. We always say the freezer but if you are about to use them, the refrigerator is fine. The topsy turvy actually works well for tomatoes (the thing that hangs upside down). You can also use the buckets. I always start tomatoes indoors and use a few seeds per container(cup). Like old_anorak said, you can pinch off the one's that aren't growing so well(if there are any). You won't use all of the seeds I sent or you will have a massive tomato garden lol
Is there a particular potting soil that works best that should be used as I have absolutely no place to get dirt, other than Home Depot/Lowes gardening section?

Latest posts