Good morning, from Alberta, Canada

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadianprepper

Reaction score
Good morning, Hope everyone is fairing the weather out there, what ever the weather may be in your neck of the woods. Here it's been very mild temperatures of 0 C feels warmer then usual for mid January in Canada. Although we have had a few good cold spells since October, which is probably why I am thinking that the freezing point of water is a warm day.

Anyway enough about the weather, as exciting as it can be I'm sure there'll be plenty of time to discuss weathering trends.. I stumbled upon this site searching for answers on doomsday survival and preparedness. It has only been within the last few months or so (after coming to a full understanding and eyeopening of sorts on the Fukushima crisis, along with social, economical, and an abundant amount of environment issues and well what just appears to be total unrest in the world today) So to say the least, I am very very new to the preparation for the end of life as we know it. I feel as though I am almost too late, or perhaps came in just the nick of time. Either way trying to figure out a solid starting point and plan and the dos and donts of it all can be somewhat overwhelming.

So far I have taken up hydroponic gardening indoors.. I have the start of the makings of a storage pantry, along with first aid kits and water purification items, some solar panals, batteries, generators, and books.. lots and lots of books.. so i figure, I have a somewhat good start but I am not confident that i will be a part of the small percentage that survives long if shtf tomorrow... so lets hope it doesn't..

Good morning, Hope everyone is fairing the weather out there, what ever the weather may be in your neck of the woods. Here it's been very mild temperatures of 0 C feels warmer then usual for mid January in Canada. Although we have had a few good cold spells since October, which is probably why I am thinking that the freezing point of water is a warm day.

Anyway enough about the weather, as exciting as it can be I'm sure there'll be plenty of time to discuss weathering trends.. I stumbled upon this site searching for answers on doomsday survival and preparedness. It has only been within the last few months or so (after coming to a full understanding and eyeopening of sorts on the Fukushima crisis, along with social, economical, and an abundant amount of environment issues and well what just appears to be total unrest in the world today) So to say the least, I am very very new to the preparation for the end of life as we know it. I feel as though I am almost too late, or perhaps came in just the nick of time. Either way trying to figure out a solid starting point and plan and the dos and donts of it all can be somewhat overwhelming.

So far I have taken up hydroponic gardening indoors.. I have the start of the makings of a storage pantry, along with first aid kits and water purification items, some solar panals, batteries, generators, and books.. lots and lots of books.. so i figure, I have a somewhat good start but I am not confident that i will be a part of the small percentage that survives long if shtf tomorrow... so lets hope it doesn't..
I understand what you are thinking and how you feel!! It can be a lot to take in when you figure out that you need to TAKE CARE of you and yours! It sounds like you have a great start! Just remember not to spend more than you can afford! Adding items a little at a time will add up fast. You may want to do what I have just started and that is to talk to family and friend to see if they have a plan or if they have preps already. I have learned from this site that you have HELPFUL, CARING, and UNDERSTANDING PEOPLE here all the time!!!

Welcome aboard ! Gettingreadymama pretty much nailed it. Slow an steady wins the race. This forum covers a wide range of prepping but share the same goal. To be prepared to take care of family and loved ones in time of need .

Last edited:
howdy .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quiet a few knowledgable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replys you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed....

Gettingreadymam and colt 1911 is correct.as for foods.be it store bought and/or home canned foods.go with what you and family already eat.that way things might/will go easyer on everyone after tshtf

I understand what you are thinking and how you feel!! It can be a lot to take in when you figure out that you need to TAKE CARE of you and yours! It sounds like you have a great start! Just remember not to spend more than you can afford! Adding items a little at a time will add up fast. You may want to do what I have just started and that is to talk to family and friend to see if they have a plan or if they have preps already. I have learned from this site that you have HELPFUL, CARING, and UNDERSTANDING PEOPLE here all the time!!!
Thank you for your time and your comment. gettingreadymamma :)
To be honest with you. besides my boyfriend, my kids, and my dad... and the odd comment here and there; it doesn't appear to me that there are many people in my family or circle of friends and acquaintances that have given it much thought. If they have they either don't think it will happen in their lifetime or at all, or they figure they will just deal with it when and if it happens... i don't know, I gave up trying to have serious informative conversation about this with my loved ones and gave them all open invitations to my place for shelter when and if needed. I have a large circle of family and friends. I would love to be able to educate them as I learn, but at the very least have a solid foundation when needed for them to come to because shtf and they were not prepared... I am Thankful I have a partner that is beside me on this and is in it with me 100%.. I am glad I found this site in the wee hours of the morning, so far it has been very welcoming and informative.

Welcome aboard ! Gettingreadymama pretty much nailed it. Slow an steady wins the race. This forum covers a wide range of prepping but share the same goal. To be prepared to take care of family and loved one's in time of need .

Thank you Colt 1911 Glad to be here and excited (to put it mildly) to begin flipping through the pages and forums, and learning all the things here there is to learn.

howdy .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quiet a few knowledgable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replys you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed....

Gettingreadymam and colt 1911 is correct.as for foods.be it store bought and/or home canned foods.go with what you and family already eat.that way things might/will go easyer on everyone after tshtf

good morning, and Thank you as well, I already feel a sense of belonging so to speak, and look forward to conversing with like minds. :)

It will be hard for them to deal with something that they have not prepared for............. Boyfriend , kids and Dad on board , consider yourself fortunate.

yes I agree, I couldn't imagine not being prepared or being seemingly naive to the real possibility that it could happen at any given time and it could come in many different forms. Not long ago though I was at that point where I was oblivious to the whole idea. I'm not sure if i was uninformed or just passive to the thought of it.. either way, it wasn't an idea that I put too much thought into not that long ago. I can only hope that family and friends have an eye opening experience of some sort, that'll help them to start a doomsday plan of their own.

here's some things for you to point out when it comes to your family seeing how your from canada..point out what the weather can and will do..winter storms where you will get snowed in for long lenth of time.no electric from ice on power lines.no water from frozzen water line.and what other natural disasters that can and will happen..what will they do if they get snowed in,and run out of food and water?what will they do for heat?how will family and friends get to you/ or you to them?

here's some things for you to point out when it comes to your family seeing how your from canada..point out what the weather can and will do..winter storms where you will get snowed in for long lenth of time.no electric from ice on power lines.no water from frozzen water line.and what other natural disasters that can and will happen..what will they do if they get snowed in,and run out of food and water?what will they do for heat?how will family and friends get to you/ or you to them?

I never thought of putting it that way, but senarios such as winter weather crisis would make someone think about it on a more personal level since there is a more realistic chance of it happening. I can't believe I never put it into perspective like that. I just pointed out total chaos happening around the world, but what's happening in Japan would be seen as a "that's in Japan, not here" type of thing, even though we are being effected, it's not here. Even for myself I never thought of scenarios such as this, I just thought of what I may have to be prepared for cold weather being just a generalized scenario but never went into depth such as snowed in... You have just enlightened me on a new way, better way of planning for myself and family. Think of the first and foremost possibilities of my area, such as the long cold and sometimes brutal winter, and be prepared... wow I can't believe that i totally missed all that.. Thank you jimLE. You probably just saved my life :)

:D your welcome..other folks here have done the same,when it comes to that.and at least some of them,with a good turn out..we had our electric go out for almost 2 hours the other night.i was prepared for that up to a point by haveing lanterns and oil lamps up n ready for light.plus the oil lamps give off a certain amount of heat.and thats why i had one in the restroom seeing how thats the coolest room in my home dureing the winter..

:D your welcome..other folks here have done the same,when it comes to that.and at least some of them,with a good turn out..we had our electric go out for almost 2 hours the other night.i was prepared for that up to a point by haveing lanterns and oil lamps up n ready for light.plus the oil lamps give off a certain amount of heat.and thats why i had one in the restroom seeing how thats the coolest room in my home dureing the winter..

We have prepared here for cold weather in general, just as a way of living.. like wood burning stoves and generators for power outages, space heaters, lanterns, candles. and have taken an intrest in underground dwellings and thermal mass heating i believe.. see that takes care of the bug in.. but what about bug out? snowed in? I never thought scenarios like that, even though i have experienced snow ins.. was happy to have a good reason to not have to go out. Now I am thinking, What if circumstance calls for an evacuation and the roads can not be traveled? 4by4? snowmobile? quads? snow shoes? clothing? i mean I have winter gear, but is it enough? I am so glad you brought all this too my attention... i really am not sure how i was preparing and not thinking like this. I feel a little like common sense evaded me on this one.

yeah common sense can be a pain when it steps in like that..lol..i dont know what you can afford when it comes to buging out after getting snowed in..and if i figure right.getting snowed in where you are.can be just as bad as getting snowed in some place in alaska.so im thinking.snowmoble(s) and snowshoes.extra gas for the snowmobiles..extra warm clothes,gloves hats/caps..extra food and water that can be carryed on the snowmobile or sled of some king that can be pulled by the snowmoble(s)..might want to make sure certain doors that leads into your home actully open into your home.on acount any snow piled up against a door that opens outward will keep the door from opening up..

Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Latest posts

Back