Good buy... free, 100lb bag of flour

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Top Poster
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
I was at our feed store when a man was purchasing 100lb bag of all purpose flour, before taking it out to the truck he opened the bag and seen a few weevils in it, he exchanged it and that's when I asked the counter person how much they want for the open bag, they said nothing they were going to throw it out, I said I'll take it :) Granted, I saved only $25 bucks and probably spent that on the bags I used for re-sealing never the less I already had the bags.

Got it home, sealed them in 10lb bags and stuck them in the freezer for 5 days. After the 5 days I would now have added 100lbs of flour to the pantry, I've gotten free bags of rolled oats because of weevils, only if people really know :)

I remember as a kid, we would have weevils in the rice and sometimes we would miss a couple when sifting through the rice, what was cooked we just call them extra rice. Though over time they can cause the food to go bad, if you got a bag that has some weevils just re-sift and reseal in a new bag.

I use to tell my kids when they were young, the protein in oatmeal comes from ground grasshoppers when the oats are rolled ;)

All the old timer including the medical field all say weevils won't hurt anyone in fact on the contrary of what many people think weevils are healthy eating raw or cooked not that I want to make a habit of it, I would be more concerned about spoilage than eating weevils/grub worms. My mom who worked for the USDA have said weevils are kind of an indicator of no pesticides in the product so I kindly view them as the canary in a limited way.

Weavils are a blessing and in a SHTF enviroment, its xtra protien. All our pet peeves and such should disapear. many people will have to eat much much worst.
We should look into adding insects and such to our meals. Crickets are really good.

Weavils are a blessing and in a SHTF enviroment, its xtra protien. All our pet peeves and such should disapear. many people will have to eat much much worst.
We should look into adding insects and such to our meals. Crickets are really good.

If I had other means I would prefer not to eat insects as a habit lol though still a valid point you made, in fact I think many people in western world would be shocked if they knew how many insects they actually eat in the food they cook and prepare. Anyone that worked in grain elevators probably would freak people out what they know :) it's all part of life, unfortunately people in the western world have gotten a little spoiled and soft.

If I had other means I would prefer not to eat insects as a habit lol though still a valid point you made, in fact I think many people in western world would be shocked if they knew how many insects they actually eat in the food they cook and prepare. Anyone that worked in grain elevators probably would freak people out what they know :) it's all part of life, unfortunately people in the western world have gotten a little spoiled and soft.
Out of sight out of mind. . . they don't live in the "real" world, just like when co worker asked why we don't just buy chicken from the store so no animal would have to die. . .no clue what really goes on to bring food to the stores.

Most of the world eats insects. We really have been spoiled and pampered for a few generations now. I personally won't go out of my way to find insects to eat, but know it's a way to survive at least. Riding a motorcycle most of my life, I've eaten quite a few of them already!

Protein does a body good. . . at least that's what I remember from School House Rock and the dancing bean. . .:p Beans n rice, beans n rice is nice. . .think that's how it went.

Latest posts

Back