Glad to be back...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ginger

VIP Supporter
Reaction score
A lot has happened over the years...serious health issues with hubby. And, not over yet.

Moved onto our farm...for that I am very thankful!

Looking forward to conversing with all of you again! I have missed you guys!

I am still in Bartow county GA...just a lot further out of the city. Have been here several months now and working like a crazy woman to get this place up and producing! Lot of work left to do with no end in sight but endless potential!

I have learned a lot in my absence though! I am proud to say I can process my protein now! I am still a little squeamish on the dispatching but the processing is conquered! And we are starting to see the end of consuming factory food!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day and again...I am so thankful and blessed to be back!

I started with rabbit, then chicken and duck (for eggs and meat). Now milk goats and a couple dual purpose goats and sheep. That herd is not large enough to start processing but should increase this spring. Every one behind movable solar net fence to help with clearing land. Pigs used to plow and dig up stumps.
Vegetable gardening in the spring with a vengeance! Root cellar is still work in progress for storage.
Multiple fresh water springs on property! A blessing and a curse until they are all found and outflow diverted to where needed most.
Livestock guardian dogs added...was loosing birds to raccoon and coyote. That has now stopped!
So much going on and new discoveries daily!

I started with rabbit, then chicken and duck (for eggs and meat). Now milk goats and a couple dual purpose goats and sheep. That herd is not large enough to start processing but should increase this spring. Every one behind movable solar net fence to help with clearing land. Pigs used to plow and dig up stumps.
Vegetable gardening in the spring with a vengeance! Root cellar is still work in progress for storage.
Multiple fresh water springs on property! A blessing and a curse until they are all found and outflow diverted to where needed most.
Livestock guardian dogs added...was loosing birds to raccoon and coyote. That has now stopped!

Wonderful to meet an old member here who has the experience you do! Prayers for your hubby. Looking forward to learning from you and getting to know you!!

Edited to add that I am in Georgia too, far north of you.

What breed of rabbit are you raising? Also, have you had good success with the breed? Any advice and tips would be appreciated. I’ve only purchased a few rabbits in order to be prepared in case of disaster...which seems to be looming. But have not done a lot of breeding yet.

I started years ago with 4 cheap "barnyard mixes"...added couple adult mixes for size and diversity. This will be my first harvest of my "barnyard mix for size"...will update you at processing...just weaned 6 yesterday and so far I am pleased. Not sure when I will process...I will probably experiment with that on weight/age scale with this litter. I did add one adult female rex that was a gift to the mix...this is her 2nd litter and the male she was bred to this time seems to be a good match for litter size and weight. When my breeders are retired they are dispatched and given to the dogs. Right now I have 13 adults...and several retirees who will be dispatched to make room for new prospects. I try to keep 2 breeding males and 4 breeding females producing all year but summer. Every one gets a break in the heat. Will post picture of my setup later today or tomorrow! (I also breed lops and lionheads for local pet store but phasing that out.)

Full story and a handfull of work to go with it. We are impressed and happy for your report and success, hang in there, GP

welcome back mrs ginger.see that y'all had a busy time of it, while you were away.glad your other half is doing better, and that y'all be living where y'all want to be living.hope that things keep getting better for the two of you.

1610443083238.png

Latest posts

Back