Helpful Info. Getting your parents on board.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Reaction score
Hey all,

I wanted to start a post where teens can shear there experiences on how they got there parents on board or what didn't work.

Perrsonally I found that sitting down with my parents and having a talk with them about it wouldn't be the best way to start so I started to drop tiny hints to see how they would react. After about a month I then had the perfect chance to talk to my father about it. The following week my mother. I knew that I needed patience to talk to them because they have lots if questions. Get ready to answer alot of simple questions multiple times. Thankfully for me my father was kinda a prepper (camping, military and whatnot) so it was easy to get them more or less on board. Are they fully on board? Probably not. I told them a while ago and I'm still answer questions. Only last week did I show my mother my preps. To my surprise she actually made a suggestion :p What would not have worked for me was to go straight up and ask them if I could. Odd as that sounds I knew that if I asked then I would not be allowed to. Not that is a massive deal currently but I iknew that wouldn't work. I also knew that if I got mad or lost my cool at any stage then prepping for me would be over.

So what are your experiences so that others may learn? Feel free to ask questions :D we are all here to help

I had this in another thread, but it seems more appropriate here.

I'll share about my experience as to how I got my parents to understand me.
DISCLAIMER: results may vary

Anywho, I started thinking about this idea of prepping after much contemplation. I took into account many factors that were shaping the nation, and began to realize the path were on is not a path that one can simply come back from should it not work. Like in a video dr Henley suggested, the economist said that there was not one nation in history that was able to survive indefinitely off of a currency without real backing. I agree when the economist says there's no indication that America should be exempt.
So there's the reason, the country is on a sketchy slope and when we slip, we're going to fall to the very bottom. But how to describe such a worry to your parents? Most parents are going to be freaked that their kid is capable of thinking logically, but that doesn't make you crazy. I took a very similar approach to Tyler, and tried to ease my parents in.
My dad wasn't too hard to convince, being a farm boy, the thought of finally getting to teach his sons some skills like hunting and shooting made him happy. (And an excuse to buy some more toys) I don't believe that my dad is on board with the rationale of my desire to learn, but he doesn't seem to be bothered by it.
Ok, one down, one to go
My wonderful mother, a suburban girl, was on board with my rationale, but was very hard to convince that it was worth actively preparing for. She is very understanding, so she doesn't seem to be bothered by my prepping, because she sees why. She's more of a sit back and watch kind of person, and getting her to take part in something is quite a feat in it of itself. Thus, why she doesn't really help me with it.

Now, with the background and a brief explanation of their reactions, I can explain what works, and what doesn't.

Generally, watching DDP on nat gel will yield negative response, those people are kinda nuts and give all preppers a negative connotation, not what you want your parents to think about your new life choice. They do occasionally have good ideas, but I wouldn't use it for reasoning purposes, I did not personally try this, but this is my rationale for not using it.

Things like Oakley sunglasses that are ridiculously expensive are sometimes good things to drop hints with. "Geez mom, can you believe people pay this much for sunglasses?(though incredibly durable) wouldn't you rather have like 100$ worth of food or water stored for an emergency? Sunglasses will look nice, but it won't do much in an emergency..." Generally positive if you throw some humor in, and can make them think of some unnecessary expenses in their own life. Maybe more for you to use if you get them on board ;) I've heard numerous accounts of teens taking the initiative and parents give a budget to them in order to prep for the family.

Play to what they want to hear, but do not lie! Recently we learned in depth about the Lincoln Douglas debates of 1858, Lincoln was a master of focusing on different parts of his view on slavery. Try shifting your focus on different points of prepping to different situations in order to use them most effectively. Similar to me playing to my dads desire to teach me hunting and playing to my moms understanding by presenting rationale with facts and logic.

I hope some of these help, I typed this on my phone so hopefully the mistakes aren't anything unbearable, i double checked it real quick. I hope that any teen that reads this understands they aren't alone, and you don't have to become some weirdo in order to prep. I'm a relatively normal guy, i still have friends, i still run track and win some races, I keep a high gpa... You don't even have to seem like a prepper, in fact it's better to be the gray man, the one nobody would expect to be a prepper. Thanks for taking time to read!

Start with a Bug Out Bag, but also keep things in it that may come in handy during everyday situations. Take it with you when you go places with them in the car. Things like OTC medicines, even feminine products, etc. When your parents are wondering where they are going to get something like that, just pull it out of your pack, always being prepared. Sooner or later, they'll be curious enough to wonder how you are so ready for everything.

Since they will have benefited numerous times from your preparedness, approaching more serious preps will be that much easier. And yes, you can assemble a BOB, even if just getting an allowance. From all the advice on this site, you can easily assemble a BOB that will have everything you need, for $50 or less (including the price of the bag).

Heres a link or anyone that wants it. My parents had to leave during it, but they wanted to finish the video when they got back. I'd say it's a pretty good baseline to show what's going on...

Speaking from experience, I am a little older then the me generation, although most of my generation is a part of the me generation.
If people are too busy fishing at the top of the dam to notice the cracks forming at the bottom of the dam, and are more concerned with catching fish then fixing the problem, when the dam bursts the only people to blame are themselves.

The last time when the housing market went bust, it would have affected me - had I bought into it. But I told the crazy women that I did not care to live in a several hundred thousand dollar mansion when I could do the same thing in my $40,000 duplex.

While others lost their homes, my home depreciated very little in value.
My taxes are next to nothing while my equity is secure.
Even if it falls down, I will only be out $50,000 for the contents.
The insurance will pay for the rest.

Why invest a whole lot of money into a place that might not be liveable in the next 20 years? Why not invest that money into durable goods and a place to go to WTSHTF

Sounds like a sound financial strategy, and I agree with your statement about the fishing and the dam breakin, very truthful.

I am finding this forum to be very interesting. Please allow an old guy to interject here. As I said, I am older (56) with children and grandchildren. To all of you teen preppers that want to know how to engage your parents in a conversation, first get your facts together. Many older people were brought up in a time when you were required to prove your point of view. They do not want overly emotional reasons, rather they want a reasoned discussion about the subject.
You might be amazed by the number of parents that are concerned but do not show that concern to their families. This applies especially to us older males. When I was growing up, males did not show much emotion and kept problems to themselves. While this had some value, it is better, in my opinion, to bring up some matters to the family not only to see how the family feels but to let them know how you feel.
I am blessed with a family that understands the way I feel. My daughter watched me go to work every day in the Army not sure if I would come home that day. My wife is a veteran and understands the changes that have come about in the past few years. Because of the way I brought my daughter up, she understands that if the SHTF that it will be family that keeps family safe and not the government. For that reason, she agrees that preparing is the best option and is raising her children to be self-sufficient should the worst come to pass.
Talk to your parents and then maybe your family can be well prepared. GOD bless all teen preppers as you attempt to ensure the future of America and the human race.

Nearly every area has some kind of threat.
Whether it's hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, blizzards, etc.

Shouldn't be too tricky to voice concern over this to at least have the family assemble some kind of preps. Even if just the basics (Stored Water, Canned Food, First Aid Kit, Radio, Flashlights, Candles, etc.)

Latest posts

Back