Gasoline in California... WTF!!

Doomsday Prepper Forums - The Number One Prepper Site

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Ok all of you fellow californians! Have you filled your car(s) up this week!!!
I was just in Loas Angeles today and forked over $4.79 per gallon for 87 octane!
This is insane.

According to the news I heard, on KFI AM640, they are claiming Exon-Mobil isn't producing due to a power outage earlier in the week. Also the other suppliers say they have slowed/stopped production so they can switch to the winter formulation.

Now here is the best part of the story... KFI news said some of the companies are sending fuel to mexico too!

Hades

.......I AM
Reaction score
I wish it would go up here too. that would ease some traffic, as people would want to consolodate trips, and get some things on thier way home.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I wish it would go up here too. that would ease some traffic, as people would want to consolodate trips, and get some things on thier way home.
They are finding that these prices are keeping teenagers off of the road. That is never a bad thing!
I know, I know I was once a teenager driver, but I freely admit I wasn't a good driver at that time.
Not to mention I didn't have the attitude that seems to running ramped in today's youth!

Hades

.......I AM
Reaction score
Thats sad, if someone needs to travel that far to work, They should really think about either another job, another kind of vehicle, or moving.
High gas prices are not going to go away. The global market demand is rising, oil is a traded comodity. In some places the taxes on fuel is rising, our infastructure is in shambles from too many years of neglect.
Ya'll in cali. really get beat up, I heard you have some of the strictest laws on fuel emmissions anywhere.
The oil companies are taking a beating as well, they are the ones that have to buy most of the oil that wall street sets the price to.
thier margins are small, on gasoline, its the sheer numbers of gallons that keep them afloat.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Thats sad, if someone needs to travel that far to work, They should really think about either another job, another kind of vehicle, or moving.
High gas prices are not going to go away. The global market demand is rising, oil is a traded comodity. In some places the taxes on fuel is rising, our infastructure is in shambles from too many years of neglect.
Ya'll in cali. really get beat up, I heard you have some of the strictest laws on fuel emmissions anywhere.
The oil companies are taking a beating as well, they are the ones that have to buy most of the oil that wall street sets the price to.
thier margins are small, on gasoline, its the sheer numbers of gallons that keep them afloat.
It is my understanding that in California each city/county can set their own requirements for the formulation so long as it meets the standard set by the state. Not sure just how true that is, but nothing surprises me hear.

California emission standards are strict! It has gotten to a point that people are moving their businesses out of state. I can't say as I blame them.

Hades

.......I AM
Reaction score
What is beginning to happen out there looks bad. was checking it out this morning, Gas is $1.30 over the future market and getting worse. this is just an example of what we have all been talking about in one form or another. this is a consumer driven frenzy. It will balance itself once everyone frantically fills up. LA alone has 23.4 million (roughly ) cars, all of cali. 280 million (roughly). every normal day some have less some more, when these problems arise everyone rushes out to fill up, that unbalances the storage even more. if everyone just gets 10 gallons today, instead of the average of 5, it apears to double the problem.

The worse part of it, Cali is inelastisity in its gas supply, Cant just ship it in from the states next door. Has to be that special blend LOL.
Man this sucks for yall, mom and pops are shutting up cause the profit is gone out of gas. like there is much to start with.

Hang tight out there, this will be over soon, we hope.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
What is beginning to happen out there looks bad. was checking it out this morning, Gas is $1.30 over the future market and getting worse. this is just an example of what we have all been talking about in one form or another. this is a consumer driven frenzy. It will balance itself once everyone frantically fills up. LA alone has 23.4 million (roughly ) cars, all of cali. 280 million (roughly). every normal day some have less some more, when these problems arise everyone rushes out to fill up, that unbalances the storage even more. if everyone just gets 10 gallons today, instead of the average of 5, it apears to double the problem.

The worse part of it, Cali is inelastisity in its gas supply, Cant just ship it in from the states next door. Has to be that special blend LOL.
Man this sucks for yall, mom and pops are shutting up cause the profit is gone out of gas. like there is much to start with.

Hang tight out there, this will be over soon, we hope.
Paid 3.70 in remote places in Az. WTF ?
On Wednesday only one Costco in Orange County had any gas to sell.
This morning (Sunday October 7, 2012) Costco had gas for $4.59

White Tiger

Reaction score
Just heard from a friend in Russellville, Alabama - looks as if they're next on the list - prices to rise $.13/gallon by morning...

See, it either has to do with how assets are valued versus how cash is valued - or it has to do with the rising costs to get those goods (which are increasing in value) to markets...all while the dollar is becoming worth-less...because when you make MORE of something, you diminish it's value. If you have less of something, it's value naturally increases.

Guess what happens when you "print" $6 TRILLION dollars to buy your own debt, then decide to print $40 billion per month, for as long as it takes, in order to keep the system running as long as possible?

You've just made MORE dollars...

Aaannnddd - if you have a lot of state employee's with salaries dependent on tax dollars - derived from people earning, buying & selling stuff - then if those taxed people don't have money to spend (because they A. they don't have a job or B. have to keep paying higher prices for the same stuff they bought a month ago)...the employees whose salaries depend on taxes - have to be laid off to match the dwindling tax receipts, or the taxes have to be increased to keep them all employed...

Guess what Alabama and California chose to do....?

They decided to keep as many tax dependent employees on the job as possible...so....prices had to go up.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Just heard from a friend in Russellville, Alabama - looks as if they're next on the list - prices to rise $.13/gallon by morning...

See, it either has to do with how assets are valued versus how cash is valued - or it has to do with the rising costs to get those goods (which are increasing in value) to markets...all while the dollar is becoming worth-less...because when you make MORE of something, you diminish it's value. If you have less of something, it's value naturally increases.

Guess what happens when you "print" $6 TRILLION dollars to buy your own debt, then decide to print $40 billion per month, for as long as it takes, in order to keep the system running as long as possible?

You've just made MORE dollars...

Aaannnddd - if you have a lot of state employee's with salaries dependent on tax dollars - derived from people earning, buying & selling stuff - then if those taxed people don't have money to spend (because they A. they don't have a job or B. have to keep paying higher prices for the same stuff they bought a month ago)...the employees whose salaries depend on taxes - have to be laid off to match the dwindling tax receipts, or the taxes have to be increased to keep them all employed...

Guess what Alabama and California chose to do....?

They decided to keep as many tax dependent employees on the job as possible...so....prices had to go up.
I am amazed that obama tried to print all this money. mexico did that and it took for ever for the peso to start gaining some value.
My favorite is when I hear our illustrious elected officials say they laid off "non essential" workers...
IF THEY ARE "NON ESSENTIAL" WHY WERE THEY THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Coche Blanco

Reaction score
I'm lucky, gas went down to 3.15 in Alabama. I am actually considering buying a 55 gallon drum and stocking up some. 50mpg car makes that stuff last a while.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I'm lucky, gas went down to 3.15 in Alabama. I am actually considering buying a 55 gallon drum and stocking up some. 50mpg car makes that stuff last a while.
I got gas yesterday in Orange County, Calif and it was down to $3.38
Still too high for what a barrel is trading at.

Hades

.......I AM
Reaction score
What should be the ratio between trade price barrels of oil, and gas prices?

Latest posts