Gas suggestion ?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spek_IT

Reaction score
Im looking for some tips for gas & diesel storage less than 100$?

Big thing though is how do your store it for the medium to longterm (3-10 years) and keep it good? Air tight clean containers with a sealant on top ?

The only idea I have to keep it good is before use , mixing it with some StarTron? That's what I do with boats & small engines . But with the small engines like my mower or generator I've never used gas that's older than a few months.

Im looking for some tips for gas & diesel storage less than 100$?

Big thing though is how do your store it for the medium to longterm (3-10 years) and keep it good? Air tight clean containers with a sealant on top ?

The only idea I have to keep it good is before use , mixing it with some StarTron? That's what I do with boats & small engines . But with the small engines like my mower or generator I've never used gas that's older than a few months.

I store gasoline max two years but I use additives in both gasoline and diesel, I keep enough fuel on hand we can go the whole year perhaps longer if we don't drive or have forest fires, I keep gasoline, propane and diesel generators here, both gasoline and diesel are store above ground bulk fuel storage tanks that are gravity fed 10 feet off the ground. For gasoline I use double dose of sta-bil for the diesel, it's a little tricky because a lot can affect it, for my diesel I treat it with sta-bil diesel and FPPF 00119 biocide, if the weather is cold I'll treat the diesel with kerosene on a per tank bases in vehicles (trucks and heavy equipment)

My tanks, 2 300 and 1 500 gallons of gasoline, for diesel 1 500 and 1 1000 gallons, I keep 100 gallons of kerosene, the additives per year get expensive

10 years, forget it. Make your own.

I keep enough treated Diesel to last about a month of regular long distance driving, roughly 80 litres plus 10 liters extra in each vehicle, plus whats in the fuel tank.

I use 5 gallon plastic gasoline and diesel, use either seafoam or Startron and sealed tight in our dark fual shed. Gas can last 7 years, diesel up to 10 years. But I would rotate them up to 3 or 4 years. Since your budget is only $100, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I've used most of those plastic fuel containers since Katrina in 2005, they still good.

When it come to gasoline, the most important thing to consider, USE 100% gas with no Ethanol!!!!!! Ethanol caused gas to go stale much faster then pure gas. Ethanol free with a stabilizer (such as Stabil) is good for a year, at least. Just avoid Ethanol in your gas.

When it come to gasoline, the most important thing to consider, USE 100% gas with no Ethanol!!!!!! Ethanol caused gas to go stale much faster then pure gas. Ethanol free with a stabilizer (such as Stabil) is good for a year, at least. Just avoid Ethanol in your gas.

If you double dose sta-bil it will last 2 years

My genny runs on propane. Doesn't go bad. Extra fuel for the vehicles is non-ethanol gasoline (petrol for you fellas across the pond :) ) with Sta-Bil. Sta-Bil claims treated gas will have a shelf life of 24 months.
I also use Sta-bil. It will last at least double that long, is my experience.

I have 60 liters in the truck, another 70 in, 2 X 20 L steel Jerry cans, 1 X 10 L Jerry can, and 2 X 10 L plastic cannisters. I have stored up to 2 years without additives and the 95 octane here has 5 % ethanol. You cannot buy gasoline in Germany without at least 5 % ethanol... I could drive from Germany to my BOL with this amount. The only problem is like bigpaul said. If you CAN or DO drive, then you might be target. You MUST be gone, before the SHTF. Or, Bug-in is the only alternative. OR; BE READY TO RUN OVER POSSIBLE THIEVES???!! The German highways will be off-limits in a national emergency, only military (like most nations will be), The side roads will be stuffed with those trying to get away, (like Florida in every Hurricane). And if you don't have a 4X4, then the fields and mountain roads will be an unsurmountable barrier.
Bug-in, ride it out, live quietly, carry big knives, save your ammo, stay blacked-out at home, GRAY MAN...GP

I like antique cars.

One way of solving the gasoline issuemight be to go back to the Stanley Steamer car. It ran on wood, coal, charcoal, grease, and/or just about anything that would burn.

The Stanley Steamer cars held the speed record in car races until the 1930s, I believe.
Stanley735 10SEP05.jpg

M735.jpg

Above are two examples of Stanley Steamer cars that run on wood, coal, combustible garbage, and so on.

Style-wise, I think these cars are cool. Steam cars like these actually create less carbon monoxide than gasoline engines.

These cars do use a lot of water, so people sometimes carried a bucket on a rope so that they could stop on a bridge, and refill the water tank in the car.

Jay Leno has a few of these cars in his collection.

One other question about stored fuels.

Can a solar oven be used to conserve fuel? For example, I put a pot of water in a solar oven until it hits around 160°F or so, and then transfer the pot to a stove and finish cooking as usual because the preheated water means less fuel to boil?

Or is the fuel conservation not worth the risk of someone getting scalded and/or burned post SHTF?

I have a camp stove that runs on propane. I want to buy an adapter that allows me to hook it up to a 15lb. tank, but that's down the road. Too much else to do at the moment.

Last edited:
Can a solar oven be used to conserve fuel?
Morning all, Kevin: google the "Robinson Solar cooker". You can make your own solar cooker from cardboard boxes and aluminum foil. Satellite dishes and foil or with a full de-painting, sanding and polishing. NO MATTER WHAT: Google everything about "Hot box" The pioneers used a wooden box full of hay or straw to do the finishing cooking of their food. To save firewood, gas, propane, electricity...any type of fuel. Build your own hotbox. Wood or metal outside, cardboard, styrofoam or such inside with foil or better insulation to keep the heat in. After the cooking temperature is reached the cooking pot or broiler is placed in the hotbox and the final 35-40 minutes are "cooked" for free. GP

Morning all, Kevin: google the "Robinson Solar cooker". You can make your own solar cooker from cardboard boxes and aluminum foil. Satellite dishes and foil or with a full de-painting, sanding and polishing. NO MATTER WHAT: Google everything about "Hot box" The pioneers used a wooden box full of hay or straw to do the finishing cooking of their food. To save firewood, gas, propane, electricity...any type of fuel. Build your own hotbox. Wood or metal outside, cardboard, styrofoam or such inside with foil or better insulation to keep the heat in. After the cooking temperature is reached the cooking pot or broiler is placed in the hotbox and the final 35-40 minutes are "cooked" for free. GP
Thank you very much.

Latest posts

Back