Gas suggestion ?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You just need an adapter hose. They have them at Home Depot in the BBQ department.
Thank you very much. I did find them at Walmart for around $20.00 or so.

I use a very simple Ozark Trail two burner propane stove that I've had for over 20 years and is still going strong. It has seen me through many hurricanes and power outages. I have also taken it to the beach so that I could cook a dinner for a girlfriend, and it has gone with me on many camping trips.
1030650195d06f2b947f98.jpg

This is the exact model. I found it new online for about $30.00.

The only thing I have to do is clean it, as it has become a little dirty over the decades ......but it still works perfectly fine.

Does anyone have an idea of how long a 15 pound propane cylinder will last under SHTF conditions? I do have a wood-burning backpacking stove, and I'm in the process of getting a solar stove and creating a hot box per Garpe's suggestion.

Boiling can sterilize bandages, kill diseases in water, cook food, and so on. With frequent use by 2 to 4 people (and 1 dog and 1 cat), how long do you guys think a 15 lb. cylinder should last?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
A wood burning stove or oven would save you a lot of fuel problems. A 15 pound tank will not last long enough.
Thank you. I was planning on saving a few 15 pound, or even a few 30 pound tanks.

The propane is--for me--a "cushion" until I can arrange something more permanent.

I do plan on getting a cheap, 1 burner backpacking stove that runs on the 1 pound propane cylinders. I have plenty of those 1 pound cannisters, and I like the idea of have 2 different stoves that run on the same size cylinder.

I'm not planning on stashing away enough propane to last the rest of my life. That is (needless to say) dangerous and foolhardy.

I just want a healthy cushion. Time in the begining--after SHTF, or TEOTWAWKI--to catch my breath, analyze the situation, follow up with my loved ones, and so on.

Hello all. The usual propane stove will only cook for a few hours on a 1 lb. bottle. They can be re-filled at home much cheaper from a 15 lb. tank than for a normal purchase price. Google the adapter and be careful. Propane is a heavy gas, can creep across the floor and reach a spark or flame and go up in flames. Work outside or with good ventilation...
Kevin: I have over the years accumulated 16 different butane, propane, alcohol, kerosene and gasoline stoves. I have built a small transportable rocket stove for cooking, (not heating). Cast-iron grills, tripod grills, esbit stoves, etc. The forests nearby give wood to live for years. NEVER light a stove till all the food is ready. Keep a lid on ALL pots and pans to save energy. Turn of quickly to save fuel. Build or buy a HOT BOX and use it daily before the SHTF. Sterilise water in glass bottles in the sun, the ultraviolet sunrays in the C band will kill most things in a few hours. (plastic bottles and bags work also, BUT they should be free from "BPA") ***Bi-phenol A will make you impotent after a long enough period of time...Live free, GP

I wanna thank everyone for your guys incite , advice and suggestions. It seems like all this info has helped a whole lot of us.

My boss has 2x spare 55 gal barrel drums. I'm planning on buying them from him . I was thinking one diesel and one gas.
I'm thinking of digging a small spot behind my shed. Already have a pile of sand and some gravel in a pile.

Thinking - of this
Red = barrel. Blue = tarp
yellow = sand
grey = gravel

And I think in the bottom of where the tarp is putting a few small holes. Almost like a french drain.

I'm picking up a hand fuel pump from harbor freight next week. Later when I have more $ I'll get an electric pump that I can hook up to a car battery.

It will be a project though

Attachments

• fuel storage.png
    fuel storage.png
    93 KB · Views: 5
I always think of burning wood after SHTF. I grew up cooking over a camp fire when we did anything outdoors. You can get small grills and stoves that you place right over a camp fire that can be used for most cooking purposes, and if you want to fancy it up a bit build a fireplace for your fire. A fireplace in the home can be adapted for this purpose but be careful with the chimney so you don't fill your house with smoke.
The vehicle problem is a little more challenging. If we want to have running vehicles we will have to be creative. This is a common topic of discussion among myself and some of my fellow preppers because everyone has their own idea on whether it will be a good idea to run vehicles, and what type of fuel will be best. One person I know believes he will be able to make biodiesel so he has a diesel truck. Another person wants a solar charging station for an electric vehicle. But long term storage of gasoline (longer than a year or so) is definitely not a solution.

I always think of burning wood after SHTF. I grew up cooking over a camp fire when we did anything outdoors. You can get small grills and stoves that you place right over a camp fire that can be used for most cooking purposes, and if you want to fancy it up a bit build a fireplace for your fire. A fireplace in the home can be adapted for this purpose but be careful with the chimney so you don't fill your house with smoke.
The vehicle problem is a little more challenging. If we want to have running vehicles we will have to be creative. This is a common topic of discussion among myself and some of my fellow preppers because everyone has their own idea on whether it will be a good idea to run vehicles, and what type of fuel will be best. One person I know believes he will be able to make biodiesel so he has a diesel truck. Another person wants a solar charging station for an electric vehicle. But long term storage of gasoline (longer than a year or so) is definitely not a solution.
Agree with you 100%. Gasoline can deteriorate quickly, it is relatively toxic, and--of course--a fire hazard.

As a medic, I can tell you that gasoline burns are horribly nasty.

Gasoline is also bad for pregnant women.

Spek_IT, not sure how the gas prices are @ The Moon. :) But here in the US, it is falling FAST. If you have those tanks setup, now is the time of fill them up. Once things turn around, expect the price to sky rockets.

Latest posts

Back