Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have any uses for old flour.
you can still bake with old flour, just use no salt and a bit more yeast, make small cakes or biscuits and feed the animals.
You can also surprise the children with paper-machet things like clown heads, volcanos for school or such.
don't forget to mix it with a bit of oatmeal and make fishbait for catching catfish and carp, even if you do not eat the carp you can sell or trade with it.

Now I need the pole and a 12 foot ladder and still can't get a quarter of the fruit on the big cherry and pears.
It is time to trim the trees back to a PICKABLE height Dracos...before you climb and take the chances of falling...trim them back to a pickable height, cap the middle trunk and paint it white to keep the bugs and rain from getting into the bark and getting the trees sick tho.

you can still bake with old flour, just use no salt and a bit more yeast, make small cakes or biscuits and feed the animals.
You can also surprise the children with paper-machet things like clown heads, volcanos for school or such.
don't forget to mix it with a bit of oatmeal and make fishbait for catching catfish and carp, even if you do not eat the carp you can sell or trade with it.
Gary, I'm talking 8 years expired. Lol. I did a search and I'm going to save to dust plants. When bugs eat it then drink water, they die. I just don't want to kill my bees. I'll have to remember not to dust blooms.

Gary, I'm talking 8 years expired
OK, accepted...either you have tooooo much flour or you bake too slow sister. My flour is used or given away to the poor nearby before it gets bad. I have used many things which were as much a five years old and they were always still good, frozen butter, six years old, peanut butter five years old, ok, cookies and corn oil, three years old, not rancid. Jelly, five years old from when I canned it, still good. Canned apples and plums, six years old and good, pumpkin, four years old and still good. Not everything goes bad just because it is older than the "recommended" use date.

Spent part of the day picking wild grapes, running them thru my antique squeezer, then into the press and putting the juice into a container for about five gallons of red wine, with a bit of white to make maybe a light rosè...
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

Went to garden to pull some more dead plants and found 2 squash and about 50 of the small yellow tomatoes. There are still tons of these that are still green. If it doesn't freeze, I'll have tomatoes into November. The squash has started blooming again so I might get a few more. I still have some okra too.

OK, accepted...either you have tooooo much flour or you bake too slow sister. My flour is used or given away to the poor nearby before it gets bad. I have used many things which were as much a five years old and they were always still good, frozen butter, six years old, peanut butter five years old, ok, cookies and corn oil, three years old, not rancid. Jelly, five years old from when I canned it, still good. Canned apples and plums, six years old and good, pumpkin, four years old and still good. Not everything goes bad just because it is older than the "recommended" use date.
My neighbor moved 8 years ago and I took the flour for mom to make homemade bread. She didn't. I had forgotten about it until I was cleaning the laundry room closet. It was really hidden.

I’ve started picking grapes here and will do cuttings of my favorite vines for potting in the next couple days. I’ve got several days of pruning, some transplanting to thin out the blueberries and then will spray down all the fruit trees. I got behind on taking care of all the plants here when I was working long hours over the last couple years. Hopefully I will have everything in good shape come spring.

I’ve started picking grapes here and will do cuttings of my favorite vines for potting in the next couple days. I’ve got several days of pruning, some transplanting to thin out the blueberries and then will spray down all the fruit trees. I got behind on taking care of all the plants here when I was working long hours over the last couple years. Hopefully I will have everything in good shape come spring.

What do you use for your fall spraying?

What do you use for your fall spraying?
I have a copper solution, a neem oil solution and another off the shelf product for fruit trees. Do I know which ones work best? Honestly no. I have always tried to use minimal amounts of any chemicals but the trees have paid for it. The highly productive fruit trees have been bred to produce but aren’t very disease resistant.

I went to bring in the tomato pots I have in garden and had to halt because I still have so many green tomatoes.

Must be all the rain we have had. Mine are usually dried out by October. I'll still be harvesting into November if the Temps hold. Oh, I still have a few baby squash on the vine too.

I went to bring in the tomato pots I have in garden and had to halt because I still have so many green tomatoes.
Just pulled the last of the red and green tomatos and we are canning tomatos, cabbage, onions, bell peppers and garlic into large glass jars today. Just bottled the half of our moonshine with cranberries, apricots, plums and cherries to get a beautiful color and flavor from the fruits....Gary
green tomatos.JPG
moonshine.JPG
canned.JPG

Last edited:
Right now I am just trying to stay ahead of the leaves. Lots of compost piles and shredded leaves as mulch. Finally got all the hickory nuts up and gone. Acorn crop does not look that heavy this year. Hickory nuts made up for it though.

Yesterday I churned 17 pounds of butter. Today I made ghee, buttermilk blueberry pancakes to freeze and buttermilk cornbread for my Thanksgiving stuffing. I like to make it ahead of time and freeze.

My son and I put about 10 loads of leaves on the lower garden today. It has terrible soil, mostly clay and sloped at the edge.

I am still really far behind on my garden cleanup. Still have cages and string to put away, plants to pull, etc. It is beautiful and warm for this time of year so maybe I'll get some chores checked off my list.

It does get harder every year, not just you! I had to divide the baby guinea fowl today. Had 13 in two tubs with heat lamps, needs to scrub out the tubs, and divide them further because they are getting too big. So now 4 large tubs with heat lamps. And screens on the top. Being proactive. New to me washer delivered today. Call in to the amish guy for a solar wringer washer set up in the garage. Would like a solar spinner, too.

Latest posts

Back