Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many tomato plants do you have?
two and a half rows of about 20 plants each...50 or so?? We are the only ones getting healthy tomatos since we have so many plants, the neighbors only planted what they thought "they needed" and are getting hardly anything worth eating. We are sharing as we planted old seeds and did not know how good they would grow or produce...thank God they all came up, the seeds were from 2017. The fourth (late) harvest of potatos are already coming up also. Happy we got a little bit of rain two days also...Gary

I am having my best year, but still have to buy to can. I have over 50 plants. I dig a hole to use as aa bowl and then fill with new garden mix and other stuff but still don't produce alot. I fertilize, water and do everything as I should, but not much production. May be residual poison from the walnut trees i had cut.

Rain, blessed rain. No downpour but light rain for over 24 hours now. Some idiot threw a cigarette butt out the window at our only stop sign. It caused a small fire. I say get the butt and do a DNA analysis on his lips. Many trucks showed up. The fire was out in less than 30 minutes. It could have been so much worse. It's still raining. For some reason my plants seem happier with rain than irrigation. If I see an idiot throw a cigarette out the window at the stop sign I will report him.

I'm going to have lots of yellow cherry tomatoes and have decided to squeeze out the juice and make my son dehydrated tomato chips. Too much work to do much more other than put through the juicer. I may do some both ways.

Harvested my first batch of pink guavas yesterday. It was my first harvest from this tree.
Cut one open and realized they're actually white guavas. They're still delicious.
Avocados should be ready soon too.

I picked last night right before dark to try to beat some heat. Tomatoes, acorn squash, patty pan squash, and peppers.
I need to replant my green beans soon. Also plan to start seeding the fall stuff, but I think waiting till the end of the month. It's still hot.

My husband picked 3 five gallon buckets of purple hulls so I will be shelling peas and canning them all day.
I planted 2 short rows of Ford Hook butter beans just to see if I could. I've almost decided that they take up too much garden space for the yield. If you could eat the hulls, that would give me more food. So far I have about a quart after shelling. I'm probably going to use the space for 1/2 runners next year.

I planted 2 short rows of Ford Hook butter beans just to see if I could. I've almost decided that they take up too much garden space for the yield. If you could eat the hulls, that would give me more food. So far I have about a quart after shelling. I'm probably going to use the space for 1/2 runners next year.

I always plant Jade green bush beans and have for probably 30 years. I can usually get 3 plantings a year, the first two for canning and eating fresh and the last planting for seeds. Mine are loaded right now and this will be my third canning and seeds for the future.

I use pink eyed purple hulls as cover crops. I pick the peas and then either turn under or compost the plants. They are somewhat like a half runner. Lots of carbon for the compost piles. I have one more planting to pick that is just now blooming. I make a purple hull jambalaya with them after they are canned that is somewhat like "hoppin john" and I also have a bean salsa recipe that I use them in.

My okra is just now coming in good too and loving this heat. I am trying a new variety called "heavy hitter".

I am going to plant some fall mustard greens as soon as the doctor releases me.

OMG my canning tomatoes are just hanging right now but not ripe yet. We sure could use a little rain though!

Latest posts

Back