Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally used some of the chicken poop I have had composting for up to 6 years. I made the mistake oof using fresh poop one year and the nitrogen made some beautiful plants, but no veggies. After that, I've been afraid to use it.

The guy at the feed store said corn requires lots of nitrogen and that's probably why I've never been able to grow it. This compost had sand mixed in from the coop floor. It is black and fine so I'm hoping it works. I would love to have some homegrown sweet corn.

I finally used some of the chicken poop I have had composting for up to 6 years. I made the mistake oof using fresh poop one year and the nitrogen made some beautiful plants, but no veggies. After that, I've been afraid to use it.

The guy at the feed store said corn requires lots of nitrogen and that's probably why I've never been able to grow it. This compost had sand mixed in from the coop floor. It is black and fine so I'm hoping it works. I would love to have some homegrown sweet corn.
We planted our corn in the pig pen, along with squash and watermelon. They're all growing like...weeds.

Not sure what 36 c is but swimming always sounds good to me.
36°C is approximately 97-98°F and yes the swimming was good. Took the wife half an hour to get used to the water and the dog was in with us. Great day, had some watermelon flavored Ale and 2 glasses of tequila sunrise.

36°C is approximately 97-98°F and yes the swimming was good. Took the wife half an hour to get used to the water and the dog was in with us. Great day, had some watermelon flavored Ale and 2 glasses of tequila sunrise.
That's way to hot for me. It hit 78 here today. The kids went swimming in the stock tank today.

The temp today here is forecasted for 86 F actual temp. With humidity it will probably feel in the low 90's. We got a shower yesterday from the tropical storm coming up from the gulf but most went south and east of us into Georgia and the Carolinas. Was hoping for more rain.

Noticed yesterday that the plums are ripening and gooseberries. Will pick first pickings of both on Monday. Planted field peas yesterday and okra as they love the heat. Elderberries are loaded with blooms right now.

My dwarf tamarillo seedlings have taken off. I need to find garden space for them today. The kiwano seedlings that I planted a month ago are finally growing like crazy too.
I'm going to take cuttings from my passionfruit vines and let those run up the carport trellis. The main vines look like they may flower soon.

One of our sons raises kiwanos, and they are an interesting fruit. They grew really well in New Mexico
This is my first year growing them. Not sure if FL is the best climate for Kiwanos, but I guess I'll find out.

I have a friend in New Mexico, he's in one of the mountain towns. It's a beautiful place!

I'm not in NM anymore, moved last year to Kansas. Kiwanos like heat, but I don't know about humid. It'll be interesting to find out. We had so many of them, our son decided to make wine with them. He got a carboy going to ferment, didn't put a fermenter cap on the top, added the sugar and stuff. Capped the top. Unbeknown to me, put it in our upstairs guestroom walk in closet and closed the door.
Weeks later, husband and I heard an explosion. Kiwano seed and gunk everywhere. Everything was covered. I could of killed him.

I'm not in NM anymore, moved last year to Kansas. Kiwanos like heat, but I don't know about humid. It'll be interesting to find out. We had so many of them, our son decided to make wine with them. He got a carboy going to ferment, didn't put a fermenter cap on the top, added the sugar and stuff. Capped the top. Unbeknown to me, put it in our upstairs guestroom walk in closet and closed the door.
Weeks later, husband and I heard an explosion. Kiwano seed and gunk everywhere. Everything was covered. I could of killed him.
Haha, oh no! I can only imagine how awful that must've been to clean up.

Yesterday the wife planted some carnation and foxglove seeds. She also transplanted a bunch of annuals in to pots, an old wash basin and a cream separator on the back deck. She planted a Stevia plant too. She dries the leaves and grinds in to a powder to use as a sweetener.
AD if she starts grinding the fox glove, keep your food and drink away from her. Lol

For all our gardening GURU's--- How many square feet of garden is required to provide enough produces to feed a family of two? I plan to build raised beds for next years garden but I don't have a clue as to how many square feet of raised bed I will need to feed the wife and myself. I am currently located in the 8a -8B growing area. I would like to grow enough to have some left over for canning for the future crop failures or nasty weather. Mother Nature does have a mean streak and is best friends with Mr. Murphy, of Murphy's Law. Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I guess our garden space is about 10,000 - 12,000 sq ft. This is the first year that we planted the whole space. I'm guessing that we'll get far more stuff than we can eat. The wife will can as much as possible and freeze a lot. A lot of the fruit and berries will be made in to juice. This year our garden is looking good, but in the past we've rain and hail storms that wiped out the garden completely. Frost is possible any time of year too. Its always a risk.

Currently picking black currants and yellow plums. Gooseberries all frozen up. Figs have small figs on them now. Blackberries are turning red. Waiting on blueberries to ripen. Elderberries are loaded with blooms.

In the vegetable garden we are picking squash, zucchini, cabbage and will be picking green beans probably next week. Another round of beets coming on as well as purple hulls. Fall cabbage started from seeds last week.

the first cucumbers, turnips, beans and pumpkins are sprouting. Tomatos are getting bigger but not yet coloring. Put up a 2000 gallon swimming pool today for cooling off in as we are going over 100°F daily here. I would also serve as emergency watering for the garden....also used some rebar to erect an A-frame with strings for the beans to crawl up and hang from.

Latest posts

Back