Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am on my third asparagus patch. They seem to last about 20 years or a little longer. The one I planted in 2000 is starting to thin out. I am trying something new. When the concrete was poured for the greenhouse I was left with a trench all around it 5 feet deep and 3 feet wide all around. I researched what asparagus needs and filled this trench in with all manor of delicious food for them. When it was 4 feet deep I put 2 year roots in and buried them a foot deep in soil and compost. They have been growing well but not big enough to eat. I hope to have a good harvest this year.

I am on my third asparagus patch. They seem to last about 20 years or a little longer. The one I planted in 2000 is starting to thin out. I am trying something new. When the concrete was poured for the greenhouse I was left with a trench all around it 5 feet deep and 3 feet wide all around. I researched what asparagus needs and filled this trench in with all manor of delicious food for them. When it was 4 feet deep I put 2 year roots in and buried them a foot deep in soil and compost. They have been growing well but not big enough to eat. I hope to have a good harvest this year.

The trench method used to be the standard way to start asparagus and that is how I started all my beds. People do not realize that asparagus roots at maturity can get 5 to 6 feet in diameter and up to 15 feet deep in loose soil. They are super heavy feeders also but can live and produce in excess of 20 years.

Here is a pic of my new smokehouse door. I decided to perk it up a bit with a wooden heart, ham hock, bacon slab and 3 pairs of wooden sausages... door.JPG
I decorated the backside with 2 pallets for my wife to hang her potted plants on.
pallet.JPG
Then the tulips are up and the grapes have gotten new poles and wires to grow up on.
flower 2.JPG
And some of the little decorations I have gotten for her to put where she wants to make the house pretty...
flower 1.JPG
The rabbit was made from some firewood that survived the winter and she asked me to make it from a description of one seen at a florist somewhere. I guess it came out OK.

Nice! I have one of those stacked planters with the chalkboard on our deck. What does yours say?

the chalkboard on our deck. What does yours say?
That is the German word for "flowers", sorry I did not see your post until now.
We use English daily, Hungarian when the neighbors come, German when on the phone to the kids and Croatian if the children are near and should not understand anything...wasn't thinking when I wrote it...

We're getting frost every night so we still can't plant outside yet. Last week I bought some ghost pepper and some Thai pepper plants. We keep them inside at night. Still can't get the rototiller started. Its only been used 1 season. Its a DR brand that I thought was made in the US. Nope. Made in China. We may have a small garden this year.

Hunny is still shooting rabbits. He has gotten 5 so far in the last 3 days. We know there is at least one more out there. . . . I have already planted my greenbeans three times and tomorrow I will be going back out to do a fourth. It's just been raining/drizzling all day for the last few days, so have not been able sprinkle with talcum powder to deter. The garden has been frustrating this year. . . I let hunny till and then he brought down the neighbors row makers for the tractor. I went with it, but I am already seeing why it is not working and seeds are not sprouting because of the wetness. Tomorrow I will build up my beds before I replant some of the garden. My green beans love their location, but unfortunately, so do the rabbits.

We're getting frost every night so we still can't plant outside yet. Last week I bought some ghost pepper and some Thai pepper plants. We keep them inside at night. Still can't get the rototiller started. Its only been used 1 season. Its a DR brand that I thought was made in the US. Nope. Made in China. We may have a small garden this year.
Might be a dumb question but is the gas on. Check oil could have oil shut off good luck. I had to tear the carburetor off and clean it on mine this spring

Last edited:
We had to plant new tomatos since the first seeds did not sprout...the second ones sprouted all but one. Got 4 pumpkin plants, two rows of taters and 3 rows of peas doing fine. A bit of rain but not enough. Hand pump and electric pump from the well needs to be primed a bit with tap water to get the water level high enough to come out of the pumps at all but after that the electric pump can run non-stop. Pulled about 200 dandelion plants up by the roots and fed the neighbors pigs which are STILL here as his pigpen is STILL not finished...beautiful green all in a row in the garden, love it. Gary

I tried to till, but it is a muddy mess. . . went ahead and replanted my green beans, but only 1 row of contender beans since I ran out so all the other rows are Kentucky Wonders. Talking to mom today telling her of my replanting, she asked me when the rabbits will come over for dinner. . . Not funny right now, 🤣

Latest posts

Back